• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile 2023 recommended gear list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I may have to cash in my IRA to get these for AVR, all my amps, and other AC powered gear.
Just like the Bible, Mikey Fremer and Stereophile told me so. :facepalm:

AudioQuest Dragon Source AC cord:$4500/1m, $3400/additional meter
High-current version: $5500/1m, $4400/additional meter

The top models of AudioQuest's power-cord lineup, the Dragons are available in two types: Dragon Source ($4500/1m), intended for source components, and Dragon High-Current ($5500/1m), intended for use with power amps, AC-power regenerators, and other products that draw higher-than-average current. All Dragon models are made with a combination of solid silver and solid copper conductors, and feature AudioQuest's battery-powered dielectric bias system (DBS). After fitting his system with Dragons of both sorts, MF reported "a major improvement in the overall sound" and decided to buy them: "In the context of my audio system, based on what I hear every day, it's well worth it." MF later wrote, when comparing the Dragon AC cables with another brand that what he heard "was another leapfrog forward producing more transparency (in the sense of the ability to see into the sonic space), more air, and more rhythmic authority. ... Nothing else I've tried ... matches the Dragon AC cord's transparency, quiet, and taut musical grip." (Vol.41 No.5, Vol.45 No.9 WWW)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I may have to cash in my IRA to get these for AVR, all my amps, and other AC powered gear.

The top models of AudioQuest's power-cord lineup, the Dragons are available in two types: Dragon Source ($4500/1m), intended for source components, and Dragon High-Current ($5500/1m), intended for use with power amps, AC-power regenerators, and other products that draw higher-than-average current. All Dragon models are made with a combination of solid silver and solid copper conductors, and feature AudioQuest's battery-powered dielectric bias system (DBS). After fitting his system with Dragons of both sorts, MF reported "a major improvement in the overall sound" and decided to buy them: "In the context of my audio system, based on what I hear every day, it's well worth it." MF later wrote, when comparing the Dragon AC cables with another brand that what he heard "was another leapfrog forward producing more transparency (in the sense of the ability to see into the sonic space), more air, and more rhythmic authority. ... Nothing else I've tried ... matches the Dragon AC cord's transparency, quiet, and taut musical grip." (Vol.41 No.5, Vol.45 No.9 WWW)
I better cash in some stuff too. I really need those cables! :D LoL.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Oy, good thing for them I guess - that many people apparently have more money than good sense.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

At one time these and other super expensive AQ gear could provide lots of entertainment by reading reviews on Amazon. They were hilarious. I have a feeling Amazon curates those now. You don't see very many reviews, they don't list their most expensive products and the funny satire reviews appear to have been removed.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Personally next time I'm down in Medford plan to take a crap on their doorstep just as fair return for all the crap they spew.

Yep, because they hold you down, clamp your eyelids open and force you to read ... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't you go giving them ideas :(!!!
MIT has something similar on their speaker cables .. and it is likely , the most expensive, thus the "most::p" better speaker cable in the World ..
2020_ACC-268_rev_2_Asbsolute_Sound_Editors_Choice_Awards_2-600x398.jpg

ACC 268 Revision 2 Articulation Control Console​

$111,995.00 – $124,995.00

No typo, the above is straight cut'n'paste, from their website...
(mod, please delete if not appropriate and I will just re-print it :D)

The AC268, has an articulation console so the "articulation" can be dialed in .. The next step is a control, just like the one above, for "textural suppleness", later another (knob) for "Rythmic Authority" .. much later another knob for "Timing authority" .. by the then the speaker cable would be around $500,000.oo and S'Phile or TAS writers will realize what they've been missing all these years.. Then, X-musk will step in and .. provide an app-controlled neural implant, then MIT Cables, will modify with these built-in...
.. a new field of fleecing , err... "innovations" for High End Audio:rolleyes:

Wow!

Peace.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
MIT has something similar on their speaker cables .. and it is likely , the most expensive, thus the "most::p" better speaker cable in the World ..

The AC268, has an articulation console so the "articulation" can be dialed in .. The next step is a control, just like the one above, for "textural suppleness", later another (knob) for "Rythmic Authority" .. much later another knob for "Timing authority" .. by the then the speaker cable would be around $500,000.oo and S'Phile or TAS writers will realize what they've been missing all these years.. Then, X-musk will step in and .. provide an app-controlled neural implant, then MIT Cables, will modify with these built-in...

Wow!

Peace.
Dang. Youse guyses are triggerin' me. Again.
I.e., this is all your fault(s). I am a victim. ;)

At any rate...
The Muppets' Animal could have used an articulation console.

896733.jpg

I am just musing, you know?

AdrianusG

Wow!

Peace.
So, basically this does what normally an amp does or is supposed to do if you want to correct for lacking fidelity, you know, like Balance; Treble; Bass; with turn-over points; Tilt and so on, what good amps of the seventies and early eighties provided on amps costing between 600-1000$, amazing!, how science progressed;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Short38

The list is one hot mess. Remember the story of the little boy who spotted a kernel of corn in a pile of horse manure and asked “where’s the pony” or something like that. My mind is still reeling from the review last month of a $100k + speaker with excrable measurements.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Hahaha, I used to held these Magazines in high regard, (and still occasionally) read/watch them, however since ASR i just see them more as the Playboy and such, nice for eye candy but not much else i'm afraid.
Why are you bashing Playboy, they had great interviews and some good articles, audiorags have zero to offer.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I need to upgrade, as several of my components manifest inescapably audible textural flaccidity.

You are talking about upgrading audio components, rather than anything personal, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom