• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega DAC-R DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 241 72.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 71 21.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Measures pretty bad, I currently run one and it sounds OK to my ears. Would there be an audible difference between the Rega and something like the SMSL SU1?
Probably not. It does not measure badly enough for the faults to be audible in most real world listening situations.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Measures pretty bad, I currently run one and it sounds OK to my ears. Would there be an audible difference between the Rega and something like the SMSL SU1?
A DAC has to be doing something *really* bad in order for it to be audible.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Seriously, don't even go there 'cos there be dragons in such a discussion...

If a possible replacement is to be considered, look at the practical things such as facilities, proper variable balanced outputs for future active speaker purchases :D, display or not, build, getting it serviced if needs be and of course looks :) Sound quality has beggar-all to do with it when you get to SU1 level and above :D :D

Nango

Major Contributor
yes, it went to court. i complaint against the dealer because i had a lot of trouble with the devices and he refused to take them back. i live in the EU so we have a thing called "gewährleistung" which protects the customers for 2 years on newly bought things. so i contacted my law insurance, they proceeded to take legal actions against the dealer and the court requested an expertise. that was created and i was proven right in court. unfortunately, the dealer went insolvency. lucky me, the law insurance paid all that (including the expertise which was about 600 EUR or so).
Lucky germans with their Rechtschutzinsurance, the only one insurance you really need in life!!!!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
The power supply issues were in fact audible, see the reviews

Can you point to where in the review that is indicated?

Do you believe you can hear PS noise more than -110dB down?

YouAreBiased

Can you point to where in the review that is indicated?

Do you believe you can hear PS noise more than -110dB down?

Well documented on this forum, as well as Hoffman forums. Also in the original stereophile review and measurements.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Still -120dB 2nd harmonic is higher, and only one man on earth can hear those - levels! Oh and his girlfriend.
Keith

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The power supply issues were in fact audible, see the reviews
I used to own the original Rega DAC and I did not hear any such power supply noise. It would have manifested itself as a 60 Hz hum and multiples thereof.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Reactions: EJ3

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well documented on this forum, as well as Hoffman forums. Also in the original stereophile review and measurements.

Please provide the links. No links = never happened.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than photos of systems, that place is a hotbed of insanity. Crazy subjectivity^10
Great place for discussion about music. Possibly the worst place for discussion of hardware. I’ve been a member there for 20 years, since it was a lot smaller in membership, and it was a lot more enjoyable then.

Top Bottom