• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile 2023 recommended gear list

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Just had a look at the 2023 recommended gear list on stereophile.com, and it appears if the item doesn't cost less than my car, it won't make the highest recommendation grade. It's quite sad that they are appealing mainly to the 'more money than sense' customer. Thank god for ASR.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice to see Benchmark AHB2 made the list. It sticks out as one of the few amps appropriately priced, instead of wildly exaggerated.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 12.55.24.png

but at least there are D&D 8C in the speaker category

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Textural suppleness. What an age we live in :facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"...that the previous gold cable lacked" Bloody hell how much was the gold cable and it still couldn't get it right?!
It's a tough thing to get, textural suppleness. I can only imagine the intensive engineering that went into it.

Soria Moria

They have a big section dedicated to the differences in sound between the various classes of amplifiers:

Class A Best attainable sound for a component of its kind, almost without practical considerations; "the least musical compromise." A Class A system is one for which you don't have to make a leap of faith to believe that you're hearing the real thing. When SACD and hi-rez files became available, we introduced a new Class, A+, for the best performance in those digital categories. Class A now represents the best that can be obtained from the conventional 16/44.1 CD medium. We also created Class A+ categories for turntables and phono preamps, to recognize the achievements of the Continuum Caliburn and Boulder 2008, respectively.

Class B The next best thing to the very best sound reproduction; Class B components generally cost less than those in Class A, but most Class B components are still quite expensive.

Class C Somewhat lower-fi sound, but far more musically natural than average home-component high fidelity; products in this class are of high quality but still affordable.

Class D Satisfying musical sound, but these components are either of significantly lower fidelity than the best available, or exhibit major compromises in performance—limited dynamic range, for example. Bear in mind that appearance in Class D still means that we recommend this product—it's possible to put together a musically satisfying system exclusively from Class D components.

:facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They have a big section dedicated to the differences in sound between the various classes of amplifiers:

Class A Best attainable sound for a component of its kind, almost without practical considerations; "the least musical compromise." A Class A system is one for which you don't have to make a leap of faith to believe that you're hearing the real thing. When SACD and hi-rez files became available, we introduced a new Class, A+, for the best performance in those digital categories. Class A now represents the best that can be obtained from the conventional 16/44.1 CD medium. We also created Class A+ categories for turntables and phono preamps, to recognize the achievements of the Continuum Caliburn and Boulder 2008, respectively.

Class B The next best thing to the very best sound reproduction; Class B components generally cost less than those in Class A, but most Class B components are still quite expensive.

Class C Somewhat lower-fi sound, but far more musically natural than average home-component high fidelity; products in this class are of high quality but still affordable.

Class D Satisfying musical sound, but these components are either of significantly lower fidelity than the best available, or exhibit major compromises in performance—limited dynamic range, for example. Bear in mind that appearance in Class D still means that we recommend this product—it's possible to put together a musically satisfying system exclusively from Class D components.

:facepalm:
I *think* those are their own goofy classes, with no relationship to the electrical class. But who knows. In any event I bet class D is reasonably priced, and therefore inferior.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had a look at the 2023 recommended gear list on stereophile.com, and it appears if the item doesn't cost less than my car, it won't make the highest recommendation grade. It's quite sad that they are appealing mainly to the 'more money than sense' customer. Thank god for ASR.
Thanks for this link ... without it I'd be none the wiser.

Stereophile has always paid slavish tribute to mega-expensive offering with condescending inclusion of the odd moderate and even budget component, often at 'B' or 'C' levels. Not a whole lot has changed in the regard but it is gratifying to see, e.g. Topping's D90 Pre90 preamp included with a 'A' rating.

Indeed I suspect that "pressure" from ASR is forcing out a bit of the condescension of those lower-price inclusions.

Last edited:

Soria Moria

I *think* those are their own goofy classes, with no relationship to the electrical class. But who knows. In any event I bet class D is reasonably priced, and therefore inferior.
Oh, you’re probably right. I misunderstood. Still a load of silly though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed I suspect that "pressure" from ASR is forcing out a bit of the condescension of those lower-price inclusions.
Amir never hears textural suppleness, though. We have a long ways to go.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes they are their review rankings and nowt to do with amplifier class although it is confusing for no good reason.

The rankings are based on the amount of textural suppleness. Probably.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the engineering approach.
The suppleness is in the use of unmeasurable adjectives that John must use when he evaluates something on the bench that the regular reviewer emoted all over but that turned in low-fidelity measurements.

And you do have to admire it. I'm not unused to defending foolishness creatively so as to assuage (or avoid) injured pride, but I'd have never come up with "textural suppleness".

Rick "engineer response: yeah, whatever" Denney

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
he evaluates something on the bench that the regular reviewer emoted all over but that turned in low-fidelity measurements.
Yes, that must be very awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom