• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (TV)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
don't know about anyone else but I'm always disappointed with cop shows and films where the captain isn't angry, belligerent and totally unimpressed with his maverick cop.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
It was a pile of steaming crap. Like they tried to make it Bad.
We actually enjoyed it. On the other hand, we were not applying any high standards looking for some kind of soul enriching dramatic content.
We did learn why Spock took up playing the harp!

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
We actually enjoyed it. On the other hand, we were not applying any high standards looking for some kind of soul enriching dramatic content.
I’m glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy….;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's good to know that in the future the act of disobeying a direct order, stealing a fantastically-expensive piece of military hardware and jeopardising the lives of your crew, all just to go help a friend who's in a spot of trouble, will only result in a slap on the wrist. The Captain Dobey reference was pretty spot-on. Maybe one of these days the writers will come up with a script that can't be boiled down to 'a bunch of teenagers (or adults acting like teenagers) save the day by Sticking It to The Man'.
It would be like stealing the USS Nimitz for a personal reason and it's okay in the end.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I also enjoyed it a lot.
But it seems I'm always at odds with many here when viewing modern SciFi movies and serials..
I turn it on looking to be entertained, not looking for the Great American Novel ???

I’m glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I’m just getting old and grumpy….;)
Very likely. LOL
Smoke a fatty next week before viewing, it helps. :p

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I also enjoyed it a lot.
But it seems I'm always at odds with many here when viewing modern SciFi movies and serials..
I turn it on looking to be entertained, not looking for the Great American Novel ???

Very likely. LOL
Smoke a fatty next week before viewing, it helps. :p
OK let’s dissect the episodes worst mistakes in my humble opinion.

The two Medical Personnel (who take an oath to not cause any harm). One is a small framed female and the other is medium build male at best. They both do a line of Coke/adrenaline ice sci-fi cocktail of drugs. Suddenly they single-handedly take on 40 or so Male Klingon Warriors (Whom train their entire lives in hand to hand combat) They not only handily best them all. Neither of them even breaks a sweat let alone any injuries. I like to go to make believe land as much as the next Sci-fi fan. But this is supposed to be realistic? It was like I was watching a Sci-fi version of a hybrid “John Wick and the Matrix”. At that point I was just trying to not laugh out loud. Klingon Warriors littering the floors while Nurse ratchet fixed her lipstick. So much for the fearsome Klingon Warrior thing…

Then we have the Stealing a Starship, again. Apparently this is something that is done on a regular basis now. Really?

I haven’t smoked weed since 1975 and decided then it was not for me. Just made me hungry and sleepy. But again I will say if you liked the show Awesome. I don’t begrudge that nor would I challenge your opinion. It’s Star Trek, I am hardly expecting a Great American novel Sir.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So a day after giving the latest episode a poor review, this fellow offered a possible fix. I wouldn't call it brilliant, but I do think a relatively mild couple of changes would have made for a better episode. One which could build toward better future episodes and been no less entertaining. Plus it fixes all the glaring "issues".

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So a day after giving the latest episode a poor review, this fellow offered a possible fix.
Look at that guys stupid glasses.
What could you ever take serious from him. LOL

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked S1E1. S1E2, meh, smacked too much of TNG cheesiness.. But I plan to binge the rest anyway.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
The two Medical Personnel (who take an oath to not cause any harm). One is a small framed female and the other is medium build male at best. They both do a line of Coke/adrenaline ice sci-fi cocktail of drugs. Suddenly they single-handedly take on 40 or so Male Klingon Warriors (Whom train their entire lives in hand to hand combat)

Never underestimate what drugs can do. Back in 1976 I wanted to pursue Medicine as a career - didn't happen, was not smart enough to take out loans for the required college. Anyway an ER Doctor friend knew of my ambitions and invited me to work some 14 hour overnight shifts with him. One of those nights a guy came in the ER high on something courtesy of the police. A decision was made to strap him down to a gurney then wheel him to a padded room. We got the left arm secured but when we tried to strap down the right arm the guy threw all three of us across a 12 foot long exam room. Combined weight of myself, the doc, and the Male nurse was close to 700 pounds. All three of us were airborne and I bounced off the wall before landing on my feet. That act took all the energy out of the dude as I just walked back over and finished the job. Whatever he was on gave him superhuman strength - at least for a short time.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Never underestimate what drugs can do. Back in 1976 I wanted to pursue Medicine as a career - didn't happen, was not smart enough to take out loans for the required college. Anyway an ER Doctor friend knew of my ambitions and invited me to work some 14 hour overnight shifts with him. One of those nights a guy came in the ER high on something courtesy of the police. A decision was made to strap him down to a gurney then wheel him to a padded room. We got the left arm secured but when we tried to strap down the right arm the guy threw all three of us across a 12 foot long exam room. Combined weight of myself, the doc, and the Male nurse was close to 700 pounds. All three of us were airborne and I bounced off the wall before landing on my feet. That act took all the energy out of the dude as I just walked back over and finished the job. Whatever he was on gave him superhuman strength - at least for a short time.
Could be a time traveler. Did you notice a vial with some green liquid residue?

Zim

Forum Donor
I enjoyed S02E01, SNW, and Kurtzman's era of Star Trek in general. I think it does excellent job to appeal to today's audience, especially in attempting to bring in a new generation of Star Trek fans. The days of indulgence in science literacy, and expectations of geekery and accuracy (to some degree) with a dash of love for old-school camp within audiences are going away, unfortunately. But in return, IMO, we get more emphasis on expanded character development with wider a range of emotions and quirks that can be played with, and more time to observe longer story arcs. Mixed in with modern-day cheesiness as an homage to old-school camp. Ebb and flow.

That all said, Lower Decks is still my favourite among this decade's Star Trek productions.

@AdamG247 You'd be surprised what today's drugs can do in terms of short-term physical capabilities.. e.g. a Meth head going on a rage.. Best be getting out of their way.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it does excellent job to appeal to today's audience, especially in attempting to bring in a new generation of Star Trek fans.
Really? I think objectively by all accounts, most of new Trek hasn’t been very successful with any audience. Picard season 3 and SNW season 1 may be notable exceptions, precisely because they went back more to the original, had better story telling and less of the “modern day cheesiness”.
The days of indulgence in science literacy, and expectations of geekery and accuracy (to some degree) with a dash of love for old-school camp within audiences are going away, unfortunately.
Is that because the audience doesn’t want it, or because the showrunners thought it wasn’t needed?
But in return, IMO, we get more emphasis on expanded character development with wider a range of emotions and quirks that can be played with,
I fully disagree with that. These characters have less development in a season than some classic characters had in an episode. Adding more hallway talk drama does not equal more development.
and more time to observe longer story arcs.
Maybe. I really don’t mind that. But we’ve also had that in DS9 and Enterprise, arguably a bit more in the background.
Mixed in with modern-day cheesiness as an homage to old-school camp. Ebb and flow.
Please, make it stop… the cheese I can stand, stupidity, inconsistency and laziness not.

Zim

Forum Donor
Really? I think objectively by all accounts, most of new Trek hasn’t been very successful with any audience. Picard season 3 and SNW season 1 may be notable exceptions, precisely because they went back more to the original, had better story telling and less of the “modern day cheesiness”.

Is that because the audience doesn’t want it, or because the showrunners thought it wasn’t needed?

I fully disagree with that. These characters have less development in a season than some classic characters had in an episode. Adding more hallway talk drama does not equal more development.

Maybe. I really don’t mind that. But we’ve also had that in DS9 and Enterprise, arguably a bit more in the background.

Please, make it stop… the cheese I can stand, stupidity, inconsistency and laziness not.
- Data-wise (according to Wiki so not much data), the newer Treks have been among of the top performing series on their streaming service and also overall among shows in general. Them going back more to the original didn't really have an effect on viewership, IMO. But you can't deny though, Discovery did reinvigorate Star Trek in this new era.

- I can't say whether it's because audiences don't want it or showrunners thought it wasn't needed but whatever they're doing is working for its current viewership. Perhaps both.

- Agree to disagree I guess. I feel more committed and attached to the characters in the newer shows than I do from older shows. Granted, I only started watching Star Trek as an adult so there might be other factors at play for those who watched it when one was a child or teenager. And I wouldn't say "hallway talk". I would say little details that add more to a character.

- DS9 and Enterprise, I admit, aren't my fave because, well, they were made in the 90's and early 00's which was in the same era of... Friends, Ally McBeal, Buffy the Vampire Slayer-era. Which aren't my faves. But that's personal taste. It was a different time, different way of writing, for different audiences.

- TBH I don't expect much from modern shows. Looking for something more thorough is not this decade's (or the 10's for that matter) forte. I'm just here to enjoy some entertainment but if I want something serious or thought out, I'll watch a documentary.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO. But you can't deny though, Discovery did reinvigorate Star Trek in this new era.

WHAT!!??????? Discovery was an embarrassment.

Yes there was demand for Discovery as a new Star Trek offering promising lots when there had been no new Treks for a few years. Started with good ratings. Those ratings went down with every season. Strange New Worlds was just slightly below Discovery's first season ratings, but I know many like myself who had such a bad taste left over from Discovery I almost didn't watch. I only watched Discovery about halfway through season 2. Picard season 3 had ratings that were very high the first two seasons started out about like Discovery and declined the 2nd year. Again Discovery was a new offering after a drought of Trek shows. It wasted that advantage.

Top Bottom