• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Movie Explosion Audio

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last night I watched Equalizer 3 and the car bomb explosion caught me off guard. The impact on my 7.2 system was palpable. Well rendered explosive sounds in movies are great fun. Rarely is one so memorable as this one.

I remember the seismic charge scene in Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones fondly. I saw it in a great theater and the sound was out of this world. My home theater gets it close but not as impactful as it was in the theater. (And before anyone chimes in - I know there is no sound in space - One of the nuances I liked from Firefly and The Expanse.)

Looking forward to seeing Oppenheimer.

What other movies contain memorable explosions?

Martin

Snafu

True Lies had that distant rumble nuclear explosion. I think that had pretty low Hz.

Visually Apocalypse Now
edit: one of the best off the guard explosions: When trumpets fade

Last edited:

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Saw it in iMax. Like other Christopher Nolan movies you will tax your subwoofers. Interstellar had me thinking I was having a heart attack in theater. The rumble was so over the top I had to get up at one point and chill out.

Oso Polar

Well, sonic (pressure? or whatever it is called) gun in "The Peripheral" series is not quite an explosion and doesn't really sound much but it is very impactful and impressive with a proper subwoofer. It is mostly subsonic: it is not too loud but one could feel a powerful impact with the whole body. My townhouse neighbors wondered if we got some kind of an earthquake or something...

This scene from War of the Worlds
is very impressive, at least its original Blu-Ray version, I didn't try to play this clip. Impactful and you can feel how ground breaks and building falls. It'll shake all house. It is also quite loud.

StigErik

Forum Donor
The gunshot in Open Range. Those who have seen it knows which one I’m thinking of …

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Last night I watched Equalizer 3 and the car bomb explosion caught me off guard. The impact on my 7.2 system was palpable. Well rendered explosive sounds in movies are great fun. Rarely is one so memorable as this one.

I remember the seismic charge scene in Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones fondly. I saw it in a great theater and the sound was out of this world. My home theater gets it close but not as impactful as it was in the theater. (And before anyone chimes in - I know there is no sound in space - One of the nuances I liked from Firefly and The Expanse.)

Martin
One of my favorites: “A quiet place”

Or this:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Martin

Oppenheimer doesn't really have any explosions in the audio track of significance. They are muted background noise. The movie seems mostly about how Oppenheimer was misunderstood and treated badly once his conscience kicked in. Not the movie plot I expected. Only Hollywood can turn such a world changing event into a one man pity party. I would give the plot 2 stars but Rotten Tomatoes gives it 91%. My taste certainly doesn't match.

"Interstellar" has some of the best rocket sounds my 7.2 home theatre has produced.

DMill

Forum Donor
Oppenheimer doesn't really have any explosions in the audio track of significance
I tend to agree. There is a point in the movie where it made sense to make sound over the top. I thought they did an ok job but it wasn’t memorable for me. If you need a spoiler I really suggest reading more. :)

Madlop26

The movie seems mostly about how Oppenheimer was misunderstood and treated badly once his conscience kicked in. Not the movie plot I expected. Only Hollywood can turn such a world changing event into a one man pity party.
Well, he recognized he gave to ambitious and not too smart people in power the means to annihilate humanity, which they almost did few years later, hardly one man party my friend.

Dumdum

Star Wars has some amazing effects normally from imperial cruisers in various films, later in years films being far superior to the original 3

-Matt-

This one caught me by surprise the first time (No Time to Die). We were watching it with elderly in-laws and had to have it quite loud to hear the speech. They both jumped about a foot off the sofa!

Last edited:

Chagall

Forum Donor
Star Wars has some amazing effects normally from imperial cruisers in various films, later in years films being far superior to the original 3

Sure, new films have that going for them...but compared to the originals, new films are like watching a never-ending montage of disconnected Dolby Atmos demonstration clips.

kma100

Forum Donor
Grenade explosion in World War Z. When they are in Israel (Jerusalem).

DMill

Forum Donor
The oil rig explosion in And Then There Will Be Blood is quite good. Of course it being such an exceptional movie makes it all the more memorable.

Top Bottom