• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify to launch 'Hi-Fi' CD Quality Tier.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
84 days left .... We'll see ....The first of January 2022 if nothing happened. Thanks and goodbye to Spotify for me anyway.
I've got Spotify and Apple TV 4K here. I grabbed Spotify again about 4 months back when they offered me the first 3 months free and I figured they'd have the lossless stream running by then, I was curious. Now I'm paying $11.xx something a month so it won't last long here. IAC Apple's going to be the winner unless Spotify brings all the Atmos files and such Apple gives me with it's Lossless. I absolutely hate Apples UI while Spotify's has the best UI so it's going to hurt me to dump Spotify.

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got Spotify and Apple TV 4K here. I grabbed Spotify again about 4 months back when they offered me the first 3 months free and I figured they'd have the lossless stream running by then, I was curious. Now I'm paying $11.xx something a month so it won't last long here. IAC Apple's going to be the winner unless Spotify brings all the Atmos files and such Apple gives me with it's Lossless. I absolutely hate Apples UI while Spotify's has the best UI so it's going to hurt me to dump Spotify.

Sounds like you have a great Atmos setup! What is it?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

This is my bugbear with the whole streaming debacle- no one service offers everything I need (and I only want 2 ch lossless!) with decent interface, good shuffling and library management. And yes, the whole apple interface, especially on PC, made me feel sick (I binned off itunes years ago for being clunky mess yet they wanted me to go back to it to use Apple Music ? WTF!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sounds like you have a great Atmos setup! What is it?
I like it. ;)

DanielT

Major Contributor
I absolutely hate Apples UI while Spotify's has the best UI so it's going to hurt me to dump Spotify.
Exactly why I stick to Spotify. I have tested Qobuz and Amazon Music (free trial month). Of course it's a habit BUT after a month of testing the user-friendliness, search options and so on, Spotify was the winner.:D

In addition, a very handy thing with Spotify you can remote change song/record with another divice. Imagine if it was also possible to change the volume remotely in the same way. Would it be that difficult for Spotify to integrate that functionality?:rolleyes:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Would it be that difficult for Spotify to integrate?
If I understand you right? You need a AVR or software with Spotify Connect. ;)

DanielT

Major Contributor
If I understand you right? You need a AVR or software with Spotify Connect. ;)
Now I hope I messed it up and it can be done. I keep my fingers crossed. Here we go ..

For example, if I use my iPad and run Spotify, I can change song, album with my mobile. Remote, but I can not change the volume on Spotify in the same way. That was exactly what I was wondering if it is not possible to achieve?

It may be noticeable that I'm pretty bad at data but nevertheless I still wonder.

.....Wait now , you said software. What software then?:) Easy plug and play or do you need to sit and hard tap code?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Now I hope I messed it up and it can be done. I keep my fingers crossed. Here we go ..

For example, if I use my iPad and run Spotify, I can change song, album with my mobile. Remote, but I can not change the volume on Spotify in the same way. That was exactly what I was wondering if it is not possible to achieve?

It may be noticeable that I'm pretty bad at data but nevertheless I still wonder.

.....Wait now , you said software. What software then?:) Easy plug and play or do you need to sit and hard tap code?
Sorry but I'm quite confused with your problem? NO, no need to hard code anything. ;)
I don't have a ipad or any apple gear but the Spotify app on my Linux desktop allows 2 forms of playback.
1 Using the desktop app, I can control volume with the volume control in the lower right corner. Down there is a small icon (Connect To A Device) to chose between the Computer or Spotify Connect. If you chose (Listen On This Device) you should see the volume control.
2 Or if I select my (Marantz 7703 via Spotify Connect) it will then expect you to control volume in your AVR
I hope this helps?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sorry but I'm quite confused with your problem? NO, no need to hard code anything. ;)
I don't have a ipad or any apple gear but the Spotify app on my Linux desktop allows 2 forms of playback.
1 Using the desktop app, I can control volume with the volume control in the lower right corner. Down there is a small icon (Connect To A Device) to chose between the Computer or Spotify Connect. If you chose (Listen On This Device) you should see the volume control.
2 Or if I select my (Marantz 7703 via Spotify Connect) it will then expect you to control volume in your AVR
I hope this helps?
Thanks for the tip!I am also confused.

I'm investigating it all. I'll be back, if there is a fight or trouble when I go into clinch with my mobile and pad :)

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I've given up on Spotify for now so took advantage of Tidal's one month free + one extra month for $2 to get CD quality streaming for the holiday period, now that they have redefined their service. I wonder if waiting on the Tidal tiering news was holding up Spotify? At any rate, the business issues must be crazy for them as they have certainly alienated my goodwill without a tidbit of news between February and now. It wouldn't have taken much, just a "we're still working on it" every couple of months... But no, dead silence. So, I'll play around with Tidal's mid-tier and see how I like it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It wouldn't have taken much, just a "we're still working on it" every couple of months... But no, dead silence. So, I'll play around with Tidal's mid-tier and see how I like it.
I know, a sad business practice IMO. How much would it take to touch base with the customers for the sake of good relations, a quick public post or 2. The HiFi media would spread the word like wild fire.

Thunder22

Why would Spotify care? They are dominating. In fact, I'm listening to Spotify while hitting "post reply"

Ata

Forum Donor
Why would Spotify care? They are dominating. In fact, I'm listening to Spotify while hitting "post reply"

The world is littered with corpses of once dominating companies that "did not care": Motorola, Kodak, Xerox, Yahoo, ...

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
The world is littered with corpses of once dominating companies that "did not care": Motorola, Kodak, Xerox, Yahoo, ...
Add Block buster to that list

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously they're failing to understand how anal some can get about their need of streaming lossless files (let alone "hi-res") :) All I've seen is they were gonna charge $10 more, which isn't all that interesting for the slight difference but I'm cheap....if I want lossless I can always revert to my own stuff.

Top Bottom