• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great whiskey, even better story

bottle-aged_2x_e535f9fc-191b-473f-910f-4c772b831aa2_300x300.png

https://vimeo.com/325286687

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those who are in the know, please help. I’ve recently been exploring scotch whisky. I like the *idea* of non chill filtered scotches with no color (colour) added, but does it really matter? I’ve had the two big peated brands in my price range (Ardbeg and Laphroaig) and I feel as though I understand them, but don’t love them. So among affordable unpeated offerings, what’s your favorite? My budget is $60 US for a bottle. I assume this will vary by location, but it puts some of the standards out of reach where I live (Talisker, Lagavulin, Oban, Caol Isla, Cragganmore, Glenfarclas, and Dalmore from recent searches). I might spend a little more for something that everyone says I must try. With restaurants closed nowadays, I can’t just try a glass of something.

Craigellachie 13? It provides that fruity, honeyed unpeated profile with more body than introductory unpeated stuff such as Glenlivet or Dalwhinnie, which would probably feel very thin and wispy next to Ardbeg and Laphroaig. The 17 I have with me is polarising, but their 13 is widely-regarded as great value and has none of the funky stuff in the 17 that makes it polarising.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those who are in the know, please help. I’ve recently been exploring scotch whisky. I like the *idea* of non chill filtered scotches with no color (colour) added, but does it really matter?
No, it makes little difference. The unfiltered ones do seem to have a thicker mouth feel, but it's very hard to separate out, as you will rarely get identical whisky's presented both ways. The main attraction to me is that they are usually also bottled at 46%, and not 40, and I much prefer that.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So among affordable unpeated offerings, what’s your favorite?
When you say unpeated do you really mean that, or do you mean much more in balance. Most Highland and Island whiskys have peat in them, just nothing like the peat monsters you have tried. I'm loving the Bladnoch 10 I recently posted about and that had very low peat levels, but Highland park is also great and about middling on peat. Speysides are usually low peat, most bore me, others strongly disagree with me, but I love Balvenie, and I have a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh to start soon, that's always amazing. So many great whiskys, but other people's opinions count for little I'm afraid.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When you say unpeated do you really mean that, or do you mean much more in balance. Most Highland and Island whiskys have peat in them, just nothing like the peat monsters you have tried. I'm loving the Bladnoch 10 I recently posted about and that had very low peat levels, but Highland park is also great and about middling on peat. Speysides are usually low peat, most bore me, others strongly disagree with me, but I love Balvenie, and I have a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh to start soon, that's always amazing. So many great whiskys, but other people's opinions count for little I'm afraid.
Thanks! My wife’s grandfather always has the Balvenie double wood around and I’ve enjoyed that a lot. I’ve had the Aberlour 12 and that was good too. I’ve had the Highland Park 12 and 15 a few times, as well as several Macallans. Bruichladdich Classic Laddie and Bunnahabhain 12 have been the recent favorites. I hadn’t heard of Bladnoch and I don’t think I’ve had a lowland scotch before, so that will go on the list.

mansr

Major Contributor
I found the Ardmore discounted and picked up a bottle. Described as lightly peated, it falls a little towards the boring side of my tastes. Still, it is not at all bad, and there is that thing about getting what you pay for.

ardob.non1.jpg

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! My wife’s grandfather always has the Balvenie double wood around and I’ve enjoyed that a lot. I’ve had the Aberlour 12 and that was good too. I’ve had the Highland Park 12 and 15 a few times, as well as several Macallans. Bruichladdich Classic Laddie and Bunnahabhain 12 have been the recent favorites. I hadn’t heard of Bladnoch and I don’t think I’ve had a lowland scotch before, so that will go on the list.
Sounds like you have enough of the basics covered, just need to put the hard work in from here to find more favourites.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bloody Marys, wheat, potato or rye vodka preferred, usually off brands from places like the Ukraine. I use horseradish, Lea & Perrins, Tabasco, ground black pepper and fresh lime juice to taste. Works great on hot Texas afternoons.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for fun I have been mixing Bloody Maria's this week. Same as a Bloody Mary but Tequila instead of vodka. Frankly, the last bottle I bought was recommended by the liquor store and turned out to be nothing special. I make one change in the mix. Instead of Tabasco I'm using some home made Serrano pepper sauce. Just peppers, vinegar and salt run through a blender. Next time I'm going back to Cazadores, one of the most popular brands in Mexico.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of Tequila, I hear I’m receiving some Codigo for Father’s Day. :cool:

“If it’s not your favorite tequila, you haven’t tried it yet”

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven’t broke the seal yet.

Attachments

• 867F0270-71D3-49B1-9156-941B2E79F5FF.jpeg
    867F0270-71D3-49B1-9156-941B2E79F5FF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86

Canuck57

Forum Donor
For the Trailer Park Boys fans out there!
1593027308830.png

Canuck57

Forum Donor
1593027526635.png

Top Bottom