• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for savage

fas42

Major Contributor
Yep, the more "rigid" the speakers are in the room setting, the tighter the sound - this is why monster, ultra-heavy speakers win straight away, their sheer mass helps heaps! ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Continuing to drive these Elac B6 hard, they are obviously cut off around 45hz by the sound of it.. Definitely the bass is truncated but they handle everything iv thrown at them with zero fuss.

The drivers have not crapped out, everything has been played at the volumes I'm used to using. They deal with high volume way better than my vivid speakers..

No signs of strain or stress in the bass mid driver at all , they crap all over my old proac's (£1800) that normally fill in for my broken vivids... no contest.
Throw in a good sub or two and call it Hi Fi, the rest is not worth the stress.
Spend the money on a hot car and a hot tramp instead. They'll give you more pleasure.
Cheers

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Continuing to drive these Elac B6 hard, they are obviously cut off around 45hz by the sound of it.. Definitely the bass is truncated but they handle everything iv thrown at them with zero fuss.

The drivers have not crapped out, everything has been played at the volumes I'm used to using. They deal with high volume way better than my vivid speakers..

No signs of strain or stress in the bass mid driver at all , they crap all over my old proac's (£1800) that normally fill in for my broken vivids... no contest.
In the Stereophile review they go on about cabinet vibrations. Might you be tempted to beef up the cabinets? I've always wondered whether covering a speaker with ceramic tiles would be a good way of doing it... The cement is ever so slightly flexible, so you'd technically have constrained layer damping.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
In the Stereophile review they go on about cabinet vibrations. Might you be tempted to beef up the cabinets? I've always wondered whether covering a speaker with ceramic tiles would be a good way of doing it... The cement is ever so slightly flexible, so you'd technically have constrained layer damping.
Yes and no, I don't want to push the resonance into a area where it might do more damage.. Maybe a case of making things worse.

I might look into o rings between the drivers and cabinet and possibly but less likely extra bracing inside th cabinet.

Blue tac to My high mass stands , the vibration of the cabinet does not seem too bad..

One thing I thought about over the years was to make the outsides into a kind of diffuser by sticking actual wooden diffusers to the outsides of the cabinet...

That would add mass and may or may not help things ..

What do you think?

fas42

Major Contributor
As a simple experiment, have you tried mass loading on top of the cabinet, as I mentioned earlier?

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
As a simple experiment, have you tried mass loading on top of the cabinet, as I mentioned earlier?
Not yet, I have got 10-12kg wooden diffusers I can lump on top of the speakers.. Getting used to the sound right now so I don't end up chasing my tail like a dog

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Sounds like you're good to go.

upload_2016-12-12_15-31-10.png

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Sounds like you're good to go.

View attachment 4002
They do sound amazing to be honest but can't be sure till Frank listens to my you tube video ...

Certainly the cabinets and drivers don't draw attention to themselves during any music iv played.. Iv got some stuff like 'ane brun rarities ' that are just female vocal and a bass. My vivids drew attention to themselves playing some of these tracks can't say why but they did, a dead thump local to the drive would draw my ear away from the sound stage..

Not with the £300 elacs :eek::)

fas42

Major Contributor
Iv 'frank'ed' my stand mounts :D
View attachment 4000
Okay, a suggestion - with weight on top, organise it so that it doesn't overhang the front at all - say, align it with the baffle front. When I did it I had it so that it formed a vertical face, and effectively became an extension of the baffle surface. Does it make a difference? I didn't do enough experiments to really verify, but it made sense to me ...

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Okay, a suggestion - with weight on top, organise it so that it doesn't overhang the front at all - say, align it with the baffle front. When I did it I had it so that it formed a vertical face, and effectively became an extension of the baffle surface. Does it make a difference? I didn't do enough experiments to really verify, but it made sense to me ...
They rest there naturally, the speaker top fits inside the diffuser.. I can't put them further back.
The over hang is less than a inch tbh.

I think the speakers sound better with my wooden tops , the over hang does no harm.

This is like a poor mans WBF thread now:D

fas42

Major Contributor
This is what I have right now...,

Just recorded through my iPad mini
I'm impressed, Thomas! Transient punch, very good separation of the sound strands, nice sense of space, treble of the cymbals in good shape - congrats!

fas42

Major Contributor
I think the speakers sound better with my wooden tops , the over hang does no harm.

This is like a poor mans WBF thread now:D
The sound is very tight already, there may not be much gained in really overdoing more mass loading.

I would be interested in how vocals are coming across, do they sound completely natural?

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'm impressed, Thomas! Transient punch, very good separation of the sound strands, nice sense of space, treble of the cymbals in good shape - congrats!
It's crazy but the Elac b6 brings more swing to music than my G3 .. There's stuff missing but it's not the fun, that's actually there in spades.

Right now I would say it's hard to justify spending more than £300 on a pair of stand mounts..

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The sound is very tight already, there may not be much gained in really overdoing more mass loading.

I would be interested in how vocals are coming across, do they sound completely natural?
Yes, they sound wonderfully natural with vocals.. Il make a video of the ane brun track and post it tomorrow.

I'm genuinely blown away, it's been years since a peice of hifi ( and they are hifi) has dumb founded my like this.

Top Bottom