• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for savage

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Does it have two sides, like an LP?

That looks like the "B" side.

Looking up FJ:2630865 gives some wonderful information on Herpes Simplex Virus, but nothing pertinent to this investigation.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
PS: My volume knob is like almost inaudible at 11.

It goes to 151.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Does it have two sides, like an LP?

That looks like the "B" side.

Looking up FJ:2630865 gives some wonderful information on Herpes Simplex Virus, but nothing pertinent to this investigation.
Obviously there was no information on the front.. It's was also 0620 and I was going out the door to work but thought I'd do my best to get some info on the device for you...

Iv posted some videos on this thread taken at my normal listening volume..

I'm sure you can scrutinise them .

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Well, based upon my limited knowledge/experience of SPL meters:

The generic ones typically have Slow and Fast integration (averaging) buttons and maybe a MAX button to hold the highest calculated Slow and Fast A or C weighted readings.

Peak doesn't show up until you get to more specialized or highly featured devices, typically in a much more expensive price range..

I could be wrong, just curious which type you have, and whether your estimation of Peak SPL in your room using your meter is accurate or not.

My CheezMeter - $30 or so:

upload_2017-1-31_16-1-36.png

http://wensn.com/html_products/WS1361-17.html

It doesn't read Peak, but does match pretty closely the C and A Slow and Fast readings I see using the measurement mic and the REW SPL meter on the PC, which does include an unweighted unaveraged instantaneous Peak reading.

Last edited:
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
image.jpeg

It varies as the sound is read, then you press a button to see the max level ( I assumed that was peak) .

It seems accurate as iv used it to record my generator and it matched the noise level in the manual.

If it's incorrect by a factor of 20 db its functionality useless and not as advertised in terms of its specification.

Check the levels in my videos , it would be trivial for me to check those results against my in room values via the db meter..

I just bought it Ray, to read db levels in my listening room. I have not studied them , I never thought I would need to.. Seemed to be self explanatory :confused:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Have you tried one of the smartphone apps?

They're not bad using built-in smart phone mics. They're even better with one.
Will that do peak readings? Iv found a c weighted db meter but that has no peak reading on it either..

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Should I buy a better one?

I bought a USB measurement mic and retired the SPL meter preferring to see much more of what is really going on using the PC/Laptop and REW (free)..

The intended use of SPL meters is more "noise measurement" - than detailed audio measurements.

The Smartphone app could be sufficient for casual use. Compare your SPL reading with the App reading to see how well they match using the same measurement criteria (Slow/Fast A/C) and go from there.

---

Looking: I don't see an App with Peak either...

Last edited:
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I bought a USB measurement mic and retired the SPL meter preferring to see much more of what is really going on using the PC/Laptop and REW (free)..

The intended use of SPL meters is more "noise measurement" - than detailed audio measurements.

The Smartphone app could be sufficient for casual use. Compare your SPL reading with the App reading to see how well they match using the same measurement criteria (Slow/Fast A/C) and go from there.
Ok, iv got a measurment mic but no lap top to plug it into lol

The app has a peak reading, I will try it.

Cheers

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Just to prove numbers mean very little, the Perreaux 2150B that kicked off my audio journey 30 years ago is rated at 164V peak to peak - so, it's at the FPB 450Mc level by the above table. So, why wasn't I happy with it? Firstly, it was limited in current drive, the MOSFETs could only handle relatively average constant current levels; and, the power supply was nowhere near the quality, say, of the Krell's.
What's that got to do with 'speakers for savage' or me obtaining accurate in room SPL / db readings?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The app has a peak reading, I will try it.

Be sure to calibrate the App using a tone or noise to match the SPL Meter using the same criteria (slow/fast a/c), so you can make sense of whatever additional information it provides.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Be sure to calibrate the App using a tone or noise to match the SPL Meter using the same criteria (slow/fast a/c), so you can make sense of whatever additional information it provides.
Ok, il leave it , to complicated. Just wanted to take a reading but obviously it's endlessly more complicated and involved .

Play music , take reading from iPad ... I thought it was that simple :eek:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom