• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for savage

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I can't as I have no way of generating a known value ..

63e9e188dc7a1aa1e64f0b16419aef7f.jpg

Ok, I'll stop pestering you...

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I use the "Pro" version of the AudioTools app, which includes Peak meters.
Yea, I was going to get that but Ray says I need to calibrate it by matching a known value from my hifi to the meter and I can't do that.

Tbh I just want to listen to music , it was Intresting to know the SLP at my MLP but seems that's more involved and requires me to buy a lap top.. Sod that.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Ok, il leave it , to complicated. Just wanted to take a reading but obviously it's endlessly more complicated and involved .

Play music , take reading from iPad ... I thought it was that simple :eek:

For basic stuff, there are plenty of apps that are stupid easy to use.

Decibel Meter Pro is literally point and read. Includes peak.

decibelmeterpro-0.jpg

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yea, I was going to get that but Ray says I need to calibrate it by matching a known value from my hifi to the meter and I can't do that.

Tbh I just want to listen to music , it was Intresting to know the SLP at my MLP but seems that's more involved and requires me to buy a lap top.. Sod that.

You can do it all from an iPad. I've done it multiple times.

All that extra calibration stuff is if you're "serious".

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
For basic stuff, there are plenty of apps that are stupid easy to use.

Decibel Meter Pro is literally point and read. Includes peak.

decibelmeterpro-0.jpg
That's accurate? No calibration needed?

I fear ' the central Scrutinizer ' will tear apart the results :D

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That's accurate? No calibration needed?

I fear ' the central Scrutinizer ' will tear apart the results :D

Is it accurate enough for you to get a SWAG about how much output you like to listen at and what that means for speaker requirements?

Yes.

Is it accurate enough to submit data to AES? Or normalize a set of microphones and monitors to a reference level? No, not without calibration.

You don't need to over-engineer this....

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

No... Doesn't have to be a known value.

You make some noise, preferably something continuous (FM interstation noise or a test tone) or very repetitive (boom-boom-boom drone you have lots of that) and see if the reading on the SPL Meter and the Smartphone match up... If not, assume the SPL meter is probably more correct, and adjust the reading of the App mentally, or find its calibration setup page.

2357.jpg

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
No... Doesn't have to be a known value.

You make some noise, preferably something continuous (FM interstation noise or a test tone) or very repetitive (boom-boom-boom drone you have lots of that) and see if the reading on the SPL Meter and the Smartphone match up... If not, assume the SPL meter is probably more correct, and adjust the reading of the App mentally, or find its calibration setup page.

2357.jpg
Oh, I thought you were requesting I calibrated the app on the iPad by playing a known value..

Obviously comparing the readings from both the iPad and my generic db meter while playing music is not complicated or really that valuable..

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Less blah blah more readings please.
Listening at about 2.3 meters from my speakers (MLP) at my normal listening levels ( everyday) from a app on my phone. Was listening to Laura marling
image.png

This seems to be in keeping with my sound level meter other than my handheld device does not give a peak level, it's max level is within 1-2 db of this phone app.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Listening at about 2.3 meters from my speakers (MLP) at my normal listening levels ( everyday) from a app on my phone. Was listening to Laura marling
View attachment 5574

This seems to be in keeping with my sound level meter other than my handheld device does not give a peak level, it's max level is within 1-2 db of this phone app.

Seems like a reasonable level, nothing extreme.

Is this volume similar to what you used with the Griyas before they started delaminating?

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Seems like a reasonable level, nothing extreme.

Is this volume similar to what you used with the Griyas before they started delaminating?
Apart from the odd heavy session, I will take more readings when I'm giving it some beans with EDM, not today though.. It's Sunday lol

Top Bottom