• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for savage

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I need a speaker that can handle EDM music and not shit the bed if you want to play above 80 db..

The Elacs are nice little all-rounders, especially for the price, but you need something that can really put out the SPLs if you want real EDM.

Trusted by frat houses for decades -- you need Cerwin Vega. Specifically the XLS 215.

xls215.jpg

I've heard these and these are definitely not audiophile-approved, "sound great with Diana Krall and the Happy Dulcimer Trio" types of speakers.

These are thuggish speakers, suitable for attracting ASBO lovers, and they will make your nuts quiver on EDM drops.

And, on a $-per-pound-of-speaker basis they're reasonably priced. :D

Last edited:
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
did you ever get a pair of 308s?
Not year, been bit crazy with all the product failures so just enjoying things working right now..

I'm not one for changing things about constantly , messing about endlessly. I want to try some JBL actives though at some point.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
did you ever get a pair of 308s?

I don't think I'd recommend the LSR 308 for Mr Savage's sometimes savage style of listening.

50W maybe runs out of steam when you want that big sound in a big (compared to nearfield) room, though I'm listening to them right now. 100dB peaks at the listening post works without noticeable distress, maybe a little more is possible.

They're fine in my 18 x 14 x 9 foot open room at normal loud levels, but maybe not at loud loud levels.

They start to give off that "I'm giving her all I've got, Cap'n" sound at some point when pressed. The dilithium crystals used in them aren't Galaxy Class, but fine for Shuttlecraft.

.994 c works relativistically well... Piano, electric bass, and sax here now...

upload_2017-1-30_17-51-21.png

Oops, accidentally posted "A" weighting.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't think I'd recommend the LSR 308 for Mr Savage's sometimes savage style of listening.

50W maybe runs out of steam when you want that big sound in a big (compared to nearfield) room, though I'm listening to them right now. 100dB peaks at the listening post works without noticeable distress, maybe a little more is possible.

Damn, how loud does @Thomas savage listen?

I usually listen at standard 83 dB reference level. For most orchestral works, that puts peaks in the mid-90s.

Maybe he really should get a pair of frat rock Cerwin Vega type speakers as I earlier jokingly suggested...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Maybe he really should get a pair of frat rock Cerwin Vega type speakers as I earlier jokingly suggested...

I suggested 4722n, but he didn't agree.

4722_front_r.jpg

Sensitivity 104dB, 2.83V @ 1m (3.3ft)
Power capacity: 600 W continuous IEC pink noise
Rated Maximum SPL 130dB, @ 1m (3.3ft) 136 dB peak

I bet they'd be killer with a little DSP to smooth out any rough edges, or the biampable 4722 just to go completely insane.

And at $1700 or so each, not terribly expensive.

People do it:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1925586-just-purchased-pair-jbl-4722n-speakers.html

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Two-way-...?ie=UTF8&qid=1485817952&sr=8-1&keywords=4722n

Get a furniture maker to box the top, slap some veneer on the sides, and fabricate an attractive cover for the wooffage if there's that sort of WAF to contend with.

They're big, but, hey, they're big.

Maybe not that big...

cTYOGxJ.jpg

attachment.php

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
How do you determine that?

Measure it at the listening position using C-weighting using slow.

It's pretty easy to dial it in for jazz on the fly.

For orchestral works, I have a reasonable chance of setting the initial level correctly so that it averages out about right if I've heard the piece before. If I haven't, I can only guess until I've heard the piece.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Measure it at the listening position using C-weighting using slow.

Guess what...

upload_2017-1-30_18-25-54.png

Me too when I twist the knob to the "loud enough" position, though I go Z.

(accidentally hd "A" weighting selected a few posts back)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If @Thomas savage really is a head banger, he should just stay away from audiophool brands.

I can see his reluctance about the 4722N, though. Those things are like having a full size Hummer in your living room.

Maybe a nice Klipsch?

Although I think they're much more costly in the UK.

fas42

Major Contributor
If @Thomas savage really is a head banger, he should just stay away from audiophool brands.

I can see his reluctance about the 4722N, though. Those things are like having a full size Hummer in your living room.

Maybe a nice Klipsch?

Although I think they're much more costly in the UK.
Agree about Klipsch - the company knows what matters for getting very ordinary amplifiers to give of their best. A demo in a very large store, wide open spaces in front of the usual speaker "pipe organ array" - just used a typical Panasonic(??) AV receiver that happened to be there; the usual speaker brands were going into typical "squashed mode" very quickly. Tried some Klipsch $1,000 floorstanders, with the same amp - and the afterburners were lit! Big, big, robust sound - classy PA quality, filled the store! Bloke came running from the other side, in great distress - "turn it down, turn it down!"

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Damn, how loud does @Thomas savage listen?

I usually listen at standard 83 dB reference level. For most orchestral works, that puts peaks in the mid-90s.

Mostly around mid to late 80's with peaks in the late 90's..

Iv only a potable db meter..

Well within the operating range of my vivids .

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Mostly around mid to late 80's with peaks in the late 90's..

Iv only a potable db meter..

Is it a peak-reading meter?

If not, you might add 15-20dB or so.

Last edited:
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Is it a peak-reading meter?

If not, add 20dB or so.
Yes Ray it shows peaks and a advarage I guess..

What amp do you have that kicks out 120db plus when on 11 o'clock on the volume dial? My amps gain and system gain plus musical program don't suggest I'm listing at 120db .

I listen to my music about as loud as you, going by the numbers you post

But maybe if there is two sets of ears in the room it's twice as loud..?:confused: I don't know it's all so confusing...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Give your meter brand and model, lets look it up.

upload_2017-1-31_1-45-29.png

90dB as might be reported by my cheezy handheld, 104dB peak (+14) reported by measurement mic feeding REW.

Guitar, bass, drums and sax, right now.

Top Bottom