• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for savage

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir you have high fidelity speakers with metal domes ( aluminium) I believe , is it normal all the rubber surround delaminates from the metal? Is it normal as was the case on my vivid B1 that the rubber surrounds rot ( yep all cracked and rotten) ?
Mine are Beryllium. No, it is not normal at all to see what you are seeing. I have only seen rotten cones like that in cheap speakers in cars after years of sunshine beating on them. If they give you push back on replacing them for free, we should do an expose with posting pictures of them here.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Amir you have high fidelity speakers with metal domes ( aluminium) I believe , is it normal all the rubber surround delaminates from the metal? Is it normal as was the case on my vivid B1 that the rubber surrounds rot ( yep all cracked and rotten) ?
There is relatively simple things you can do to limit driver excursion before any permeant damage is inflicted.. If the tincels snap off when playing music at around 90db then you would think speaker manufacturers would think a little before releasing them let alone claiming they are a engineering triumph lol
I ran 3 Paradigm Titan V1's (ported) full range for the LCR's in my antique 5.1 surround rig, only the Hsu sub-woofers had low pass filtering. After approx 15 years of hard use they still sounded as new and the driver surrounds looked A-OK at the time I sold the system in 2011 .
http://www.paradigm.com/products-hidden/collection=Classic/type=bookshelf/model=titan-v1/page=specs

The rubber surround had rotted and was turning to dust in one of my 2 Hsu subs after 20+ years but the other seemed fine? Strange that one speaker was shot but it's partner looked fine. But in any case what can you expect for a speaker of that age.

Ridiculous your speakers were failing at such young ages.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well got my amps back, all is well there.

The Elac speakers are rocking out to some infected mushroom .. They are performing superbly .

On my heavy stands and blue tac to the top plates they seem solid, no terrible cabinet vibration . Certainly not to the degree sterophile magazine was insinuating.

Great solid bass, bang central.. I am shocked how good they are tbh.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Listening to nils lofgren live there is a bass and drum instrumental and listening to that The b6 is coloured faily heavily in the mid bass area.. They are a enjoyable listen but they are not miracle workers..

I need better speakers :D

fas42

Major Contributor
Sounds very promising, Thomas ... when you say the stands are solid - how solid? Are they filled with sand, say? And how are the stands stabilised on the floor? When you Blu-Tacked to the stand, where did you apply the stuff? When you push lightly on the side of the speaker, how much resistance is there to them wobbling?

Sloppy mid-bass is a sign that the carcase has to be locked even more rigidly into the room ...

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Sounds very promising, Thomas ... when you say the stands are solid - how solid? Are they filled with sand, say? And how are the stands stabilised on the floor? When you Blu-Tacked to the stand, where did you apply the stuff? When you push lightly on the side of the speaker, how much resistance is there to them wobbling?

Sloppy mid-bass is a sign that the carcase has to be locked even more rigidly into the room ...
Accribites fill the tubes.. On bamboo, sorbathane between stands and bamboo and blue tac sticking speakers to stand.. Ridged .

image.jpeg

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I can hear the boxes , they colour the sound. This is however normal.

It's like music with cloths on, rather than naked with my vivids.. Obviously other differences but they are £300 vs £25000

Iv been without box colourations for 3 years... They are still good speakers .

fas42

Major Contributor
Accribites fill the tubes.. On bamboo, sorbathane between stands and bamboo and blue tac sticking speakers to stand.. Ridged .

View attachment 3976
Accribites ?? OK, I would ditch the bamboo and sorbathane, and Blu Tack (BT) the bottom of the stands to the floor, using decent wads of the stuff right at the tip of each corner of the bottom plate. It appears that the top plate of the stands is smaller than the bottom of the speakers - if so, not good: I would want the BT only right on the very sharp points of the bottom of the speaker - nowhere else. In fact, I would be tempted to turn the support upside down, to achieve this setup.

Until I made the speakers as rigid as possible in the context of the room, I would take no notice of the sound. Especially as you like music with plenty of grunt, the more locked down the speakers the better ...

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Accribites ?? OK, I would ditch the bamboo and sorbathane, and Blu Tack (BT) the bottom of the stands to the floor, using decent wads of the stuff right at the tip of each corner of the bottom plate. It appears that the top plate of the stands is smaller than the bottom of the speakers - if so, not good: I would want the BT only right on the very sharp points of the bottom of the speaker - nowhere else. In fact, I would be tempted to turn the support upside down, to achieve this setup.

Until I made the speakers as rigid as possible in the context of the room, I would take no notice of the sound. Especially as you like music with plenty of grunt, the more locked down the speakers the better ...
Il buy more blue tac Frank and turn my stands upside down at some point

fas42

Major Contributor
So, what are accribites?

I want my sound to be tight, super tight - and if the speaker isn't as damped as possible, by having vibrations from the drivers blasting away being soaked up by something, then all bets on the sound are off! Pushing on the side of the speaker carcase should feel like they are clamped to the floor, the ideal would be the feeling of a bank safe.

What I used on several occasions was a huge lump of garden paver concrete - heavy as, ugly as sin; damping on the corners to protect the floor.

In the meantime I would experiment with simple, easy adjustable, mass loading - pile the heaviest stuff you've got around the place on top of the speakers, with damping between speakers and first layer. MUST NOT be metal - I used heavy books - yes, looks terrible, but you're experimenting to find out what matters or not. I would keep loading it on until the sound didn't change - and you've got a benchmark on how good the sound is without the lightness of the box being a factor any more.

fas42

Major Contributor
A basic rule I would use is - the louder the sound you want the speaker to do competently, the more massive you want the speaker to effectively be. Imagine the speaker being concreted in place, to the earth below - that's the sort of goal ...

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I might of spelt it wrong but accribites are the shards left over from making screws I think.. They are used as a superior solution to sand..

All the tubes on my stands are filled with them, as a result those stands weigh 80kg easy..

fas42

Major Contributor
OK, that sounds good in one sense - but now we are talking about lots of metal right next to the drivers, the magnets. In my experiments, heavy metal :D that close to drivers is not good - I would experiment to see whether that's affecting the sound - my stands were concrete and sand. Every situation could be different - so in yours all that metal may not be an issue.

Would still go the mass loading on top, to see what that does to the sound ...

fas42

Major Contributor
An idea I just had would be to insert one or two concrete pavers between top of stand and speakers, suitably damped and locked together - this would give spacing from the stand metal, and provide a platform on which to BT the carcase at the corners only.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I might of spelt it wrong but accribites are the shards left over from making screws I think.. They are used as a superior solution to sand..
Ah OK, even Google didn't know what accribites were.
Why not use lead shot from your local reloaders supply store.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Continuing to drive these Elac B6 hard, they are obviously cut off around 45hz by the sound of it.. Definitely the bass is truncated but they handle everything iv thrown at them with zero fuss.

The drivers have not crapped out, everything has been played at the volumes I'm used to using.

No signs of strain or stress in the bass mid driver at all , they crap all over my old proac's (£1800) that normally fill in for my broken vivids... no contest.

Top Bottom