• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for savage

fas42

Major Contributor
When working, not putting 120 volts on the case work ( electrocuting me) or falling apart inside or going DC apetastic and melting my speakers the Belles stuff is really good :oops:

I might venture inside the Elac speakers and 'Frank' them:D
Sounds like you need a rest from non-robust gear, :confused: ... when you get the Elacs, after you've given them a good thrash, give me a bell if you interested in ideas on fiddling ... :D.

fas42

Major Contributor
... and these are my other brothers,

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I remember someone having HUGE issues with garbage components in Giya crossovers {not me, I build my own speakers}.

anonymous.

iridium

You have a much better memory.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
There is a word for this but I can't say it here.
Sometimes you get to a point where enough is just enough.
Let me look into the logistics of getting my Quad 50 airfreighted
to the UK and we'll pay them a bit of a visit. :mad:;)
quad 50.jpg

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's weird. I have become so forgetful as I have gotten older to the point of not remembering Thomas' name. But other things like the above are vivid in my mind, pun intended. :)
Amir you have high fidelity speakers with metal domes ( aluminium) I believe , is it normal all the rubber surround delaminates from the metal? Is it normal as was the case on my vivid B1 that the rubber surrounds rot ( yep all cracked and rotten) ?

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Vivid say their speakers are not to be operated outside their recommend frequency range.. So basically unless you own the big G1's you can't play any music with content under 33hz!

Funny that's not in any of the brochures nor did it come up when the main designer was sitting in my lounge 18 months ago, listening to my music ( that contained sub 33hz content recorded high on the dynamic range and at my usual listening volume) telling me how the G3 was the perfect speaker for my needs!!
That's very interesting. I've never played around with ported speakers before, but as I understand it, below the port resonance there is effectively no restraining force on the driver (which, in simple terms, the air in a sealed cabinet would provide) so it is free to make massive displacements and, presumably, destroy itself. So is the idea to include a passive high pass filter which, presumably would need to be physically large and not free of side effects, or just to gamble on signal content and playback levels? Either way, I'll stick with DSP and sealed!

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
That's very interesting. I've never played around with ported speakers before, but as I understand it, below the port resonance there is effectively no restraining force on the driver (which, in simple terms, the air in a sealed cabinet would provide) so it is free to make massive displacements and, presumably, destroy itself. So is the idea to include a passive high pass filter which, presumably would need to be physically large and not free of side effects, or just to gamble on signal content and playback levels? Either way, I'll stick with DSP and sealed!
There is relatively simple things you can do to limit driver excursion before any permeant damage is inflicted.. If the tincels snap off when playing music at around 90db then you would think speaker manufacturers would think a little before releasing them let alone claiming they are a engineering triumph lol

Cosmik

Major Contributor
There is relatively simple things you can do to limit driver excursion before any permeant damage is inflicted.. If the tincels snap off when playing music at around 90db then you would think speaker manufacturers would think a little before releasing them let alone claiming they are a engineering triumph lol
Yes, that might be a hint that something isn't quite right!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
New amplifiers too...

Merry Christmas...

What did you pick?

Now you need some subs...

edit: Cheap subs...

Last edited:

iridium

I would be !@#$%^&* pissed.

& manufacturers always pass the blame back to the consumer,

OR they play a sh_tty fix/bandage game until the warranty runs out.

My wife loves it when I get pissed at manufacturers and contractors so she can watch different versions of QUIET fireworks.

I documents lies & deceptions.

I have NO hesitancy in making legitimate claims public.

iridium.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
New amplifiers too...

Merry Christmas...

What did you pick?

Now you need some subs...

edit: Cheap subs...
Same amps and pre amp , just being repaired... Let's hope they hold up!

Subs don't work in my house, make things worse.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Subs don't work in my house, make things worse.

Then I would first assume you didn't set them up fed with a little DSP and some judicious measurements...

I just Christmased myself with a second pair.

Top Bottom