• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Wire 'Burn in'

Holmz

Major Contributor
My point was that they put an LP on the spacecraft, and not a CD and a DAC.
That is out of this world… :cool:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
My point was that they put an LP on the spacecraft, and not a CD and a DAC.
That is out of this world… :cool:
Where in the hell are aliens going to be able to buy a phono cartridge in space? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Freeway

Where in the hell are aliens going to be able to buy a phono cartridge is space? :rolleyes:

That might be a good good thing. Then again it might be motivation to come here to get one.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is an effect on speaker wire with time.

I had opportunity to listen to Quad 57s in the 70s wired with Fulton Brown cables. Most recently, some forty+ years later, I heard a pair of 57s with the exact same cables! I heard a significant reduction in the sparkling top end.

Then, I realized that I can no longer hear above 8000 Hz… maybe it is not the cables!:confused:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There is an effect on speaker wire with time.

I had opportunity to listen to Quad 57s in the 70s wired with Fulton Brown cables. Most recently, some forty+ years later, I heard a pair of 57s with the exact same cables! I heard a significant reduction in the sparkling top end.

Then, I realized that I can no longer hear above 8000 Hz… maybe it is not the cables!:confused:

Reminds me of my absolute favorite XKCD cartoon. ;)

correlation.png

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wire burn-in is a fact! I bought my speaker wire thirty years ago and I can tell you that a 16kHz test tone, that was shrieky and loud when I first got the speaker wire, is now barely audible. So not only is that proof that speaker wire burns in, I’ll add it is constantly burning in and that 16 kHz test tone might not even be audible in the next year or two. You don’t need Amir to test anything because I’ve already proved it. The copper MUST be changing its properties to reduce high frequencies so significantly. I can think of no other possible reason.
This is completely incorrect. It is because CRT TVs used to output that 16 kHz but your new TV does not. At least that is the official cover story; the truth is the alien members of the Illuminati feed on that energy and have been depleting it over time. (Although I was talking to Isaac Newton the other day and he postulated that "frequencies" were an illusory reflection of the 13 dimensions of the universe down into our "ears" and "brain" which don't really exist either).

Rc Lobarniz

Please, think about all the pieces of cable inside an electronic component, are you going to say you need to change them all in time because of the burn-in effect?
Or that after a short period after sound is affected?
What about tvs, are they not affected? Is HDR going to be more punching after a while?
Common guys are you in the correct forum?, this is Audio 'Science' Review not Audio Shaman Review LOL.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I burned in the traces on the boards in my old tube preamp. Took me a few days to fix them so it would work again.

roog

Forum Donor
Imagine the value of used cables if burn-in actually was a thing. There would be big sheds full of cables being burned in using electricity stollen from the grid and the certified burnt in cable sold for a premium (”,)

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I burned in the traces on the boards in my old tube preamp. Took me a few days to fix them so it would work again.
Been there done that. I'm glad others are in the club. I refer to it as letting the smoke out that was accidently put in by the manufacturer!

Bren Derlin

Speaking of "burn in factor for speaker wire", Mike Morrow offers "burn in services". 20 day for $100. Or... 3 days for $30. Even for a set of their $10,000 speaker wires... what a deal.

Anyway. I ran across this thread, and reminded me of this audio review website... audiodrom.net ...and more precisely, audiodrom speaker cable reviews ...if you click on the photo to the left of the scores, you can read the entire "review" of the products. Surprised he hasn't given Mike Morrow's top cables with the pre burn-in service.

In other news, The speaker section is curious. The Revel M106 speakers score a 34% for sound. Ease if use is 90%. People here pretty much understand Revel speakers aren't overly finicky for room positioning, as the sweet spot is rather wide. So one would think the ease of use would be 100%.

Conversely, his review of the Franco Serblin Accordo speakers, he give a 100% for ease of use. BUT... in his review, he wrote this..
"They are not exactly for group entertainment but rather for individualists – if you position them carefully and correctly then their sweet spot is really a spot and I recommend making an X-mark on it and do not move away. In principle the Accordos are not directional, yet the optimum balance, I mean outstanding balance, is achieved only in a relatively narrow listening window. There is no manual how to get the balance right – if it is right then you will simply know it as all music elements lock together and the only thing you would not want to do is to stop listening."

Then you add:
"Well, this is the second reason why the Accordos cannot be considered bookshelf speakers – there is no way to get them play without the original stands. The monitors are connected to the stands with the help of a Speakon terminated cable that runs through the stand and then secured via two fixing bolts. The crossover assembly of low order is hidden in the lower parts of the stands, thus saving valuable space inside main cabinets to enable the Accordos go deeper with their minimum footprint. The speaker terminals are located at floor height and are not bi-wirable. Similarly to the main speakers the stands are also high gloss polished with Mr. Serblin’s engrave signature on them."

If the Speakers are that finicky for placement, and you have to use a specifically designed stand for the speaker to work, one would think their "ease of use" would NOT be 100%. But more like... 10-15% at best.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Speaking of "burn in factor for speaker wire", Mike Morrow offers "burn in services". 20 day for $100. Or... 3 days for $30. Even for a set of their $10,000 speaker wires... what a deal.

Anyway. I ran across this thread, and reminded me of this audio review website... audiodrom.net ...and more precisely, audiodrom speaker cable reviews ...if you click on the photo to the left of the scores, you can read the entire "review" of the products. Surprised he hasn't given Mike Morrow's top cables with the pre burn-in service.

In other news, The speaker section is curious. The Revel M106 speakers score a 34% for sound. Ease if use is 90%. People here pretty much understand Revel speakers aren't overly finicky for room positioning, as the sweet spot is rather wide. So one would think the ease of use would be 100%.

Conversely, his review of the Franco Serblin Accordo speakers, he give a 100% for ease of use. BUT... in his review, he wrote this..
"They are not exactly for group entertainment but rather for individualists – if you position them carefully and correctly then their sweet spot is really a spot and I recommend making an X-mark on it and do not move away. In principle the Accordos are not directional, yet the optimum balance, I mean outstanding balance, is achieved only in a relatively narrow listening window. There is no manual how to get the balance right – if it is right then you will simply know it as all music elements lock together and the only thing you would not want to do is to stop listening."

Then you add:
"Well, this is the second reason why the Accordos cannot be considered bookshelf speakers – there is no way to get them play without the original stands. The monitors are connected to the stands with the help of a Speakon terminated cable that runs through the stand and then secured via two fixing bolts. The crossover assembly of low order is hidden in the lower parts of the stands, thus saving valuable space inside main cabinets to enable the Accordos go deeper with their minimum footprint. The speaker terminals are located at floor height and are not bi-wirable. Similarly to the main speakers the stands are also high gloss polished with Mr. Serblin’s engrave signature on them."

If the Speakers are that finicky for placement, and you have to use a specifically designed stand for the speaker to work, one would think their "ease of use" would NOT be 100%. But more like... 10-15% at best.
From the looks of it. This might be one of the top contenders of the snake oil of the week award.

roog

Forum Donor

Thanks for the links @Bren Derlin, you have to give it to these sites, they know how to do classy, hover over a mono chrome image and the colour wells up in to the image, nice! I can't help but think that they might be trying just a bit too hard, a bit like the fancy polished wooden boxes some of these cables arrive in. I particularly liked the description of the cable product that arrived in a box with a concealed 'secret' release to allow you to get to your new cables, or is this to keep them secure when you are not using them?

The theatre is quite beguiling, if utter nonsense.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would cable burn in be limited to audio , we would be in series trouble if this was a real issue :)

Power lines and data centers comes to my mind . Medical devices etc ,satelites

Electrical Engineering is not special or different for audio , audio is just a less demanding subset where most problems are known and solved decades ago .

The big things seems to happens in acoustic knowhow ie speaker and headphone design . More like electromechanical and mechanical engineering and fluid dynamics ?
No no no, us engineers are ignorant brutes that barely notice subtle details. We can never hope to have the delicate sensibilities of an audiophile.

DonR

Major Contributor
No no no, us engineers are ignorant brutes that barely notice subtle details. We can never hope to have the delicate sensibilities of an audiophile.
We are but simpletons that stand in awe of the golden eared.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We are but simpletons that stand in awe of the golden eared.
I know I'll never hear the things they do. Heck, I don't even understand what they're talking about most of the time. My PRaT could be veiled, for all I know.

Top Bottom