• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker connectors, Which one is better?

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
WBT-0610Cu_01.jpg
4pcs-Top-CMC-0600-WF-new-pair.jpg

D

Deleted member 46664

The usual plugs are just a convenience item for when you're making frequent changes. The rest of the time you want the best connection you can get.

Personally ... I've always favoured stripped and tinned wire to any kind of banana or pin plugs.
The tinned wire is simply inserted into the side hole of the binding post and the nut is tightened to hold it.

Speaker-Wire.jpg

Even better, if you have spring clips on the speaker you can be assured of a connection with constant pressure that won't come loose over time. But most speakers now use binding posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Nah - bloody audiophiles and their expensive posh looking connectors :D

All you need are these really, as long as you don't push and pull 'em about all the time -

These below have increased in price these last few years, but make good surface contact to the socket regardless.

Other trad springy contact types available and seem to work just fine

As for bare wire and/or spades, I've seen spades easily work loose and for a typical lay enthusiast forum bod, a single loose strand is all it takes to short the amp's speaker terminals..

D

Deleted member 46664

As for bare wire and/or spades, I've seen spades easily work loose and for a typical lay enthusiast forum bod, a single loose strand is all it takes to short the amp's speaker terminals..

That's why you tin the wires with solder ... no loose strands. Also ... zero connector cost.

Yes spades sometimes come loose. Despite a larger surface area connection they also provide a larger skate area where minor movement of the wires (eg. during dusting or vacuuming) can torque the top nut loose.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That's why you tin the wires with solder ... no loose strands.

Tinning with solder is so 20th century... Brittle, subject to corrosion and compression. Not a good idea for any type of low resistance clamped banana or screw terminal. Pretty sure it is 100% illegal for anything mains rated here.

Ferrules are infinitely better, and required in EU countries in order to obtain CE marking. Here's a couple I just crimped up on a scrap of wire.

round die brass:
brass.jpeg

square crimped tinned copper ferrule:
copper.jpeg

D

Deleted member 46664

Tinning with solder is so 20th century... Brittle, subject to corrosion and compression. Not a good idea for any type of low resistance clamped banana or screw terminal. Pretty sure it is 100% illegal for anything mains rated here.

Ferrules are infinitely better, and required in EU countries in order to obtain CE marking. Here's a couple I just crimped up on a scrap of wire.

I would use the ferrules on CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire along with Dielectric Grease ...
But then, that's exactly why I don't use CCA wire.

I've got tinned copper connections in a couple of movie theatres that are now 30+ years old with no problem.
(I used to service theatre sound systems)

OP

192kbps

fieldcar

Whatever you do, avoid these and everything that looks similar. The free-floating springs compress, but never make a rigid connection to the speaker binding post. I once blew up a compression driver from a poor connection. You'll know when this design is ineffective when you can freely rotate the banana plug.

61w4pTpbqqL._AC_SX679_.jpg

D

Deleted member 46664

Whatever you do, avoid these and everything that looks similar. The free-floating springs compress, but never make a rigid connection to the speaker binding post. I once blew up a compression driver from a poor connection. You'll know when this design is ineffective when you can freely rotate the banana plug.

61w4pTpbqqL._AC_SX679_.jpg

YES! Thank you.

Connectors with the floating cage design are sometimes worse than no connector at all.

There is a fix if you're good with soldering ... run a fine bead of solder around the cage at the connector tip to lock it in place and provide a good electrical connection... that however does nothing for the second, internal connection between the connector and the wire ... More than once I've pulled the wire right out of these connectors without any struggle at all.

D

Deleted member 46664

Think about it this way .... How many unsoldered connections are you making?

With tinned bare wire you are making 1 connection to the binding post directly.
With good banana plugs you are making 2 connections... one wire to plug, the other plug to post.
Spade lugs ... 2 connections... wire to spade, spade to post.
Floating cage connectors ... 3 connections... wire to plug, plug to cage, cage to post.

Which do you think is going to work better?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my multichannel multi-driver (multi-way) multi-amplifier stereo project, I need to use so many (and rather long, in my case) SP cables. I have been sticking to very reasonable (cheap) tin-plated Y-lugs and AWG10/AWG12 multicore vinyl cabtyre cables with great satisfactions as I shared here and here.

After my 30-year try-and-error journey, now I definitely believe that these very cheap tin plated pure copper Y-lugs and R-lugs are the best terminal-contact solution since rather soft metal tin plate effectively increases the contact surface area when tightly connect and squeeze;

Furthermore it is critically important to eliminate any magnetic susceptible metals in handling of speaker level signals as I shared in my posts here and here.

You can find the latest backside cabling photos of my amplifiers and SP drivers here on my project thread) and here (post #636 on that thread).

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As shared here, nowadays I seldom use banana plugs.

In case if I would use banana plugs only tentatively, I always use Audio-Technica's solder-less two-screw banana plug AT6301;
https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/product/AT6301
The pros of AT6301 are;
- reasonable price (JPYen 1,980 [USD 14.85] for four plugs, two pairs)
- rigid and well QC-ed gold-plated plugs
- the two screws are well (precisely) manufactured and can be fixed tightly
- the outer vinyl (ABS resin) sleeve is complete insulator
- the outer vinyl (ABS resin) sleeve can be screwed-in "after" the cable connection

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've found the most durable are those with a single spring, and always give good fit.

s-l500.jpg

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Don't solder-tin stranded wire ends for use under compression terminals. This is never done in industrial & military industries.
Because with time and temperature changes the solder will cold-flow and the terminal will loosen. Also with wires that are subject to vibration, the inner end of the solder will create a hard spot and the strands might break.

I first saw this problem with a FM broadcast transmitter a long, long time ago. A terminal strip in a power supply brunt-up. Only decades later did I realize the cause of the problem.

D

Deleted member 46664

Don't solder-tin stranded wire ends for use under compression terminals. This is never done in industrial & military industries.
Because with time and temperature changes the solder will cold-flow and the terminal will loosen. Also with wires that are subject to vibration, the inner end of the solder will create a hard spot and the strands might break.

I first saw this problem with a FM broadcast transmitter a long, long time ago. A terminal strip in a power supply brunt-up. Only decades later did I realize the cause of the problem.

Just a little difference between a speaker handling an average of about 5 watts and the power supply of an FM transmitter, don't you think?

Top Bottom