• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony NW-WM1A Review (Digital Audio Player)

witchdoctor

Hmmm, I think the 3.5 is for sensitive IEMs, but the better IEMs actually like more power.
Maybe due to having Electrostatic elements.

Yet the Sony distortion specs are decieving.

The distortion measument is way down at over 100db level. How would that be observed as? A signature sound?
Most likely, that distortion is in the audio section (the reviewer hasnt stated), as the 1z uses upgrade caps over the 1a, and has a noticably better sound.

Also, this is not clipping distortion, and I found it unusual that you can tell the firmware is purposely limiting the output, because there is no audible sound of strain at maximum volume.
Very clean maximum volume.

As stated earlier, on the balanced output, it actually has enough power, so not sure why most would propagate the "saying" that it had a lack of power.
This is were more testing would show the Sony has an interesting performance behavior for such (low) output numbers.
Here is a link to a video where the Sony (1z) is cleanly playing a HD650 at maximum volume and it doesn't sound like it lacks power.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wcvAWmaUszO7NO52hSnMHW93KseLc0h7/view?usp=drivesdk

:)
Yet, I would not use a planar or HD800 on it of course, but the Sony is surprisingly not bad at all, and if using IEMs its a moot issue.
The real issue would be how it sounds in comparison to the competition.
We can all agree that most top electronics are overpriced, so that topic is up to the user if worth it to them.

The competition also has great sounds.
I would say most all the latest daps in general are getting very close (if not already) to desktop level performance.
I see Daps taking over the desktop market, IF they implemented a line out feature.
This will liberate many audiofiles from their desks or livingrooms to move about the house, while smartphones might take over the "outside" portable market, especially with bluetooth headphones.

We can all agree that most top electronics are overpriced, so that topic is up to the user if worth it to them

I can't agree that "most" top electronics are overpriced. Some might be overprices but a LOT offer incredible value. Look at the JBL 130's just reviewed, it an inexpensive speaker and is probably underpriced relative to the competion. I can give you a TON of examples but you get the idea.
In fact Sony has some incredible products at great prices, check out their BRD players for example.
I 100% agree that the real issue is how something sounds compared to the competiton.

Nathan Raymond

Just to chime in that I really enjoy having a DAP... A few years ago I bought an Onkyo DP-1S Rubato on sale for $200. It runs Linux under the hood, I've turned off indexing music on boot so that start times are fast, has both buttons and a touch screen, is small and has 3.5mm single ended and 2.5mm balanced outputs, can act as a bluetooth transmitter in a pinch, and has dual MicroSD card slots which I've had no trouble loading up with a couple of 400GB cards, so 800GB of storage. Enough for a lot of lossless and Hi-Res audio in my pocket, which is what I want. For $1000 though I'd expect exceptional performance, it's a pity that Sony can't hit it out of the park at that price point.

witchdoctor

Just to chime in that I really enjoy having a DAP... A few years ago I bought an Onkyo DP-1S Rubato on sale for $200. It runs Linux under the hood, I've turned off indexing music on boot so that start times are fast, has both buttons and a touch screen, is small and has 3.5mm single ended and 2.5mm balanced outputs, can act as a bluetooth transmitter in a pinch, and has dual MicroSD card slots which I've had no trouble loading up with a couple of 400GB cards, so 800GB of storage. Enough for a lot of lossless and Hi-Res audio in my pocket, which is what I want. For $1000 though I'd expect exceptional performance, it's a pity that Sony can't hit it out of the park at that price point.
+1 on the Onkyo, I have a DP-X1

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had several Onkyo AVR's over the years and have loved them. A couple years ago when I was looking for a DAP, I was considering the Onkyo DAPs when I saw the Hiby R5 and went that direction as I wanted to be able to stream from any app. I'm sure the Onkyo DAP's sound great though. Maybe a used one... Do any Onkyo DAP's have access to the Play Store/run Android?

witchdoctor

I've had several Onkyo AVR's over the years and have loved them. A couple years ago when I was looking for a DAP, I was considering the Onkyo DAPs when I saw the Hiby R5 and went that direction as I wanted to be able to stream from any app. I'm sure the Onkyo DAP's sound great though. Maybe a used one... Do any Onkyo DAP's have access to the Play Store/run Android?

Yes, the DP- X1, I bought an Onkyo receiver first and was so impressed I got the DAP. It runs Android.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes, the DP- X1, I bought an Onkyo receiver first and was so impressed I got the DAP. It runs Android.
If it runs Android and does not have the Play Store, it might be possible to add that. We have an Amazon Fire HD tablet which runs a tailored version of Android. They expect you get all your apps from the Amazon App Store but you can add the Google Play Store with a bodge.

witchdoctor

If it runs Android and does not have the Play Store, it might be possible to add that. We have an Amazon Fire HD tablet which runs a tailored version of Android. They expect you get all your apps from the Amazon App Store but you can add the Google Play Store with a bodge.
It runs the playstore and you can download anything you want, NP. There are various apps I use in my system like Mixcloud, DTS Play-Fi, various apps that are remotes for my equipment, this is why I prefer an Android OS too.

CrankyRat

Forum Donor
I use Hiby DAPs R5 and the new R6 2020. I love them, SQ to me is exemplary (good DACs on these models). The controls, the dial volume on the R6. The R5 I take backpacking and it lasts about 14 hours. Android is essential because I use these DAPs for streaming only with Tidal and then download the music to go hiking, sit outside, go anywhere. I rarely listen to speakers, that's like prison having to sit in a single room. Speakers are good for sharing. I have used phones with dongles, pretty disappointing compared to an all-in-one DAP, watching the battery level drop. I don't really understand why anyone would want to use a phone, frankly.

witchdoctor

I use Hiby DAPs R5 and the new R6 2020. I love them, SQ to me is exemplary (good DACs on these models). The controls, the dial volume on the R6. The R5 I take backpacking and it lasts about 14 hours. Android is essential because I use these DAPs for streaming only with Tidal and then download the music to go hiking, sit outside, go anywhere. I rarely listen to speakers, that's like prison having to sit in a single room. Speakers are good for sharing. I have used phones with dongles, pretty disappointing compared to an all-in-one DAP, watching the battery level drop. I don't really understand why anyone would want to use a phone, frankly.

Thanks for sharing, I wasn't familiar with Hiby and the R6 looks like a good value. I like that combo of features. That R2 looks interesting at $99 too.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing, I wasn't familiar with Hiby and the R6 looks like a good value. I like that combo of features. That R2 looks interesting at $99 too.
The R5 seems to be the sweet spot in terms of cost vs features.

CrankyRat

Forum Donor
The R6 has a much better WiFi antenna. I have yet to lose a connection during streaming. The R5 loses its connection enough to be irritating at times. The R6 appears to have better SQ but then again its more expensive thus placebo to justify my lighter wallet.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The R6 has a much better WiFi antenna. I have yet to lose a connection during streaming. The R5 loses its connection enough to be irritating at times. The R6 appears to have better SQ but then again its more expensive thus placebo to justify my lighter wallet.
Joe Bloggs stated in the R5 thread on Head Fi the reason the R6 has better wifi is "The new r6 should be the one with the best reception, as it has a whole external antenna section (the top plate with the volume knob)".

AtomAmp

On the bright side, 93 db isn’t too far from CD audio..
I'm confused. 93db is SINAD for the WM1A. But if we want to check if it can produce CD quality audio, aren't we supposed to check dynamic range (which is 103db) and not SINAD? I understand that CD dynamic range is 96db?

Tortie

Forum Donor
This year's LG phone (V60) seems to have a more powerful amp (or a less crippled amp) than past LG models that have always had ultra clean DACs (an ESS implementation) like my previous phone the V30. The V60 runs the hd650 with ease. So at this point why isn't Sony implementing technology like that? And why when a product like the V60 exists would I buy a DAP?

Hey that sounds amazing! I have the V20. Love it but the quad dac sputters out when trying to drive the HD650. I would buy a V60 but unfortunately LG never released an unlocked version... anywhere in the world. Quite disappointkng that this amazing device is stuck behind carrier paywalls.

The V70 is expected this year. We'll have to see what they come up with. Maybe LG will offer an unlocked version for the V70 because they're Mobile division is struggling and they have nothing to lose.

Gitzolinick

Have you ever watched a master guitar builder pick out a piece of wood for a $7000 jazz guitar? I have. They don't use science they use their ears.

They knock on the wood and listen for tone.
You should consider the fact that a musical instrument is not a music playback device.
Also the tuning of a musical instrument must be made using the ears because wanted colors can be, in this way, easier found instead of using graphs or audio measurements.
But rlan headphones is not supposed to create sound, it's conceived to reproduce the sound of instruments. The approach are differents because of the intrinsic nature of two completely different objects.
If measurements says an headphone altered the sound because of technical limit so the headphone is not reproducing what the instrument express.
An headphone must be as flat as possible and transparent enough to forget is a speaker and be closest as possible to the original sound.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You should consider the fact that a musical instrument is not a music playback device. […] An headphone must be as flat as possible and transparent enough to forget is a speaker and be closest as possible to the original sound.
I wish the term Hi-Fi had not morphed into Audio. The latter is a very broad term, whereas Hi-Fi clearly meant what ASR tries to achieve, High Fidelity audio reproduction. The word audio confuses people.

mbshrekito

Forum Donor
My library mostly consists of SACDs ripped to ISO and extracted as DSD files.

I use the NW-WM1Z (I paid £1300) with the balanced out into Shure SE846 IEM's when travelling - which I used to do alot of - I also use it as a source in the car.

Build quality is exceptional (as it should be at this price) and I have 1.2 TB of DSD and Flac files on the device at any one time.

The ability to play DSD files natively was important to me and this was one of the few players that would do it.

I also own the Shanling M8 (one day I'll get round to listing it for sale) a much better DAC and a more powerful amplifier - but usage why it's terrible I've owned it for a year and hardly use it.

It's android based but only the dedicated app allows the DAC to be used natively for DSD.

Battery life on the Sony is over 20 hours and it stays cool. The Shanling gets too hot to hold and has a battery life of less than 8 hours when used with DSD. So no good for long-haul flights or road trips without an additional power source.

Peter19500

For a long time I tried different dap, dac. From cheap to highly rated on this site with an excellent SINAD rating. I still wasn't happy with the sound. My headphones are Meze99 Classics, Sennheiser HD 800, Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 Jm. When I tried the Sony wm1z, I found a sound that exceeded my expectations. Of course, I use symmetrical cables and with the HD800 the output is high. I use Meze and Gjallarhorn GH50 Jm in low mode with plenty of power reserve. If you want quality sound, you won't find anything better at this price. Who wants a stream, wifi... let him use a mobile phone.

Top Bottom