• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAP for HD800s?

ninshin

I'm looking for a DAP to conserve battery for my iPhone, and something portable to use for the thieaudio monarch MKIIIs as well as doubling for use with the HD800s at home.

I'm just looking at the power requirements and narrowed it down to a few DAPs

Sony NW-A306 or NW-ZX707 or Fiio M11 ESS

I'd like to have something as small as possible, but the A306 says it can output 35mw (international version, I'm not in the US)

I understand that the HD800s is quite sensitive with some quoted numbers at 102 dB @1mW, but at 300ohms
I don't listen at ear splitting volumes, but would the A306 be sufficient to power the HD800s?

I'm quite a few years out of high school math wise and I'm not entirely sure how to calculate whether it'll be able to power the HD800s, and it's fairly difficult to trial these things in Australia considering the lack of availability other than online

I'm refraining from trusting the head-fi soundstage or warmth comments, but any information or pointing me in the right direction to calculate what can be outputted from those DAPs and what the likely end result coming out of the headphones would be much appreciated.

staticV3

Master Contributor

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm looking for a DAP to conserve battery for my iPhone, and something portable to use for the thieaudio monarch MKIIIs as well as doubling for use with the HD800s at home.

I'm just looking at the power requirements and narrowed it down to a few DAPs

Sony NW-A306 or NW-ZX707 or Fiio M11 ESS

I'd like to have something as small as possible, but the A306 says it can output 35mw (international version, I'm not in the US)

I understand that the HD800s is quite sensitive with some quoted numbers at 102 dB @1mW, but at 300ohms
I don't listen at ear splitting volumes, but would the A306 be sufficient to power the HD800s?

I'm quite a few years out of high school math wise and I'm not entirely sure how to calculate whether it'll be able to power the HD800s, and it's fairly difficult to trial these things in Australia considering the lack of availability other than online

I'm refraining from trusting the head-fi soundstage or warmth comments, but any information or pointing me in the right direction to calculate what can be outputted from those DAPs and what the likely end result coming out of the headphones would be much appreciated.

Just curious. Wouldn't it make more sense to get a USB c Y adapter, use one side for a good dongle DAC and the other for a power bank instead of getting a DAP? I've been reading about them and I don't see any advantage to a DAP since almost everyone has a phone already.

Or just get some good ear buds for the phone and plug in a power bank if needed.

What am I missing?

Top Bottom