• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shanling M0 Pro DAP Review

Rate this audio player:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 54 38.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 72 51.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 7.9%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can the rings & sleeve of a 3.5 TRRS be positioned to be compatible with both SE and Bal. output?
Doesn't the M0 Pro reconfigure the pinout when you set it to Bal?
In that case, you don't need one pinout that's compatible with both.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Doesn't the M0 Pro reconfigure the pinout when you set it to Bal?
In that case, you don't need one pinout that's compatible with both.
Possible. But you would still end up with a non-standard 3.5 Bal. TRRS. Either you have room for a 3.5 SE and a 4.4 (or 2.5) Bal.—that would be the preferable option—or you implement one of the twos and use an adapter for the other scenario.
Sure, the M0 3.5 Bal. TRRRS is non-standard. But with the adapter, it becomes compatible with the 4.4 Pentaconn Bal. Seems an acceptable tradeoff to me.

fgfgfg

But you would still end up with a non-standard 3.5 Bal. TRRS.

As I wrote earlier, you literally has standart TRRS already, the one M0 uses but without 5th GND ring
If you drop quite useless mic+button via TRRS functionality, rest options are as easy as:
1. SE TL+ RR+ RL- (0V) SR- (0V)
2. BL TL+ RR+ RL- (-V) SR- (-V)

Cuz up to 4 contacts there are same distance between them, inserting TRS jack into TRRS is NO PROBLEM:
Usual SE uses pic 3 TL+ RR+ SG (0V aka GND), if you set 0V to TRRS pic 4, then there are nothing wrong.
%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D1%8A%D0%B5%D0%BC-604x400.jpg

We have this in PowerDAC which uses 2.5, not 3.5 TRRS and needs adapter for SE as well:
88f4a9_94bbc8798264436e8d48fe3e60666982~mv2_d_2006_1347_s_2.jpg

however, now PowerDAC can work with unbalanced headphones as well. HPToy iOS/Android app was modified to get the switch for 3 output modes:
1) Balanced - the same as PDv2 balanced 2.5mm TRRS up to 600mW/channel output
2) Unbalanced - you can use that mode with E1DA 2.5/3.5mm adapter to drive your unbalanced headphones, however, power in that mode is 4 times lower vs Balanced mode
3) Unbalanced Boost - the same as Unbalanced with full 600mW power but with some crossfeed effect. This is the price for the versatility of a single 2.5mm TRRS output

CedarX

Forum Donor
As I wrote earlier, you literally has standart TRRS already, the one M0 uses but without 5th GND ring
Thanks for the details on the 3.5mm TRS...TRRRS wiring variants.
I still don't get your concern about the M0 Pro 3.5mm connector: afaik, the two existing 3.5mm TRRS standards are for SE HP/IEM with mic. (either CTIA or OMTP), I am not aware of a 3.5mm TRRS standard for Bal. HP/IEM... that was my point. So, if there is no standard for 3.5mm Bal., what is the problem with the M0 Pro TRRRS connector? The M0 Pro does not impose any new standard on the HP/IEM side: it accepts any 3.5mm SE (with or w/o mic.) and, with the adapter, any 4.4.mm Pentaconn Bal. In addition, inserting the adapter automatically switches the M0 to balanced mode internally (unlike e.g. the EIDA PowerDAC where you have to select the right mode in the app). I personally don't like the adapter solution, but considering the size of the M0 Pro, I'm not sure what else Shanling could have done.

CedarX

Forum Donor
3.5Pro exists, though mostly in Asia.
Ok, then that's where the M0 Pro connector could be a problem: based on @fgfgfg diagram above, a 3.5Pro TRRS (L+ / R+ / L- / R-) HP/IEM may or may not be recognized as balanced depending on the TRRS ring/shield alignment inside the M0 TRRRS connector, and whether the M0 needs the 5th Gnd/Shield to determine single vs. balanced.

Frankie-Shanling

Audio Company
3.5Pro exists, though mostly in Asia.
3.5Pro was originally presented as the solution for this, original idea was that it will work with both SE and balanced. Unfortunately it never worked that way.

We even put it into our M8 and M9. But now it's a dead connector and nobody is using it anymore.

In regards to M0 Pro Connector - M0 Pro doesn't have internal switch for the output mode, it recognizes it automatically by inserting the 5-pin connector. This is something we couldn't do with the 4-pin TRRS, as this is standard used by the earphones with in-line controls/microphone and it would be causing issues. And in our eyes, there is no reason to risk it for the balanced 3.5mm TRRS, which is pretty much dead standard nowadays and users would still end up using an adapter.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
IMO, in a DAP, the quality of the DAC is not important as long as it has a minimum standard. You are not likely to hear any difference with IEM's or headphones anyway.

What is far more important for me are: output voltage, interface, memory card capacity, fast bootup, and battery life. I have a small Sony DAP that stays in my car which contains the entirety of my music collection. Fast bootup is essential, because if it takes > 60s to start, I won't bother with it. It also needs to have physical buttons that can be discerned without looking at the DAP, which is why I don't use the phone as a music source in the car (in Australia it is illegal to touch your phone any time you are in a car, even if you are stopped at a traffic light. In fact, the rule states that you can touch your phone in your car ONLY if your car is switched off and the key is removed from the ignition!). I also use the DAP when I am cycling, which is another reason I need physical buttons.

For these reasons, this DAP is not for me.

CedarX

Forum Donor
For these reasons, this DAP is not for me.
Which reasons? The M0 Pro boots in ~10 sec. and the Vol. wheel supports double and triple clicks shortcuts assignable to either play/pause, previous, or next track. There is also a car mode, so it boots as soon as it is powered from the USB.

billou5767

Which reasons? The M0 Pro boots in ~10 sec. and the Vol. wheel supports double and triple clicks shortcuts assignable to either play/pause, previous, or next track. There is also a car mode, so it boots as soon as it is powered from the USB.
5s , turn off 1 s

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
202312_TRRSbalancedPinOut.jpg

Perhaps even if the ground is the plug's shell, it will make no contact with ref.gnd. of DAP 2.5mm intentional plastic jack.
202312_2XLRsTo2dot5mmTRRS4pin.jpg

Someone has thought of that floating ground for XLR interconnects.

Top Bottom