• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony NW-WM1A Review (Digital Audio Player)

DosThou

It's a fact that these DAPs all have subpar chipsets for the price they offer (usually below Snapdragon 660) and restricted Android version with no upgrade path and pared down functionalities like no cell network. 8.1 is nice but we're already on 11 now, yes you don't have to always be on the latest version but three version behind could have potential implications to security and the kind of app you can install on the device, not to forget the aging chipsets. All that along with usually bloated size is the drawback most DAP buyers are willing to tolerate for the added audio-related circuitry, which ironically hasn't shown to deliver the intended audio performance from all neutral party measurements so far.

As for don't lumping all Hiby devices together, this logic goes both way, as of now these DAP makers haven't shown anything that could convince me otherwise. The ball is in their court.

elnan14

this makes me wonder, is there any DAP with good measurable performance on the market? :/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
this makes me wonder, is there any DAP with good measurable performance on the market? :/
Probably not because no one had examined their performance before and we are not testing enough to put pressure on them to improve.

PeteL

Major Contributor
But this is a portable product. And the best looking/made one you have reviewed IMO.

The EU directives on SPL exposure and the attendant requirements to limit/monitor/record exposure appear very onerous for portable devices. Sony clearly takes it very seriously judging by the inbuilt controls (AVLS/cumulative exposure display etc). Limiting maximum continuous power in any circumstance that could result in hearing damage and the consequent legal ramifications could be massive for such a large company like Sony.

The same rules/guide lines probably don't apply to desktop products. The levels attainable in desktop product headphone amplification are utterly ridiculous and will surely result in similar requirements down the track. Having several watts on tap and large voltage swings are a recipe for a whole bunch of hearing damaged geeks in a decade or two.

Come to think of it, the loudest portable devices of the past were the original Sony Walkmans (cassette) in the early 1980s. They produced stupid high levels in their headphones. But the exposure period was shorter (one cassette at a time) or the batteries gave out! The CD walkman era products were more sensible in levels. But people can listen for hours and hours on modern portable devices and the maximum levels must be limited.
Indeed, but makes me wonder if there are any audio professionals consulted or included in the team of regulators. How is this treshold determined, when no headphone can generate the same SPL, and the numbers are all over the place. We can't be against safety, but how to fit the need of people that care about reproduction within this, I have no solution, but a device like that, is not like a smartphone, it better perform, and if tresholds are strictly set by audiologist with premises like "we can find a earbud that can generate more than 90 dB SPL at X Volts, so let's put a hard cap at X" Well the hobby of audiophile portable audio is dead. In cell phones it's pretty much impossible to have some dynamic headroom, and if you end up always cranking them up to hear something, I suspect some amount of dynamic compression/limiting. That's how most cell phones output sounds to my ears, compressed, but have no data to prove this, the measurements here, I believe, would not necessarily show this but I appreciate if someone can show me wrong, always. Basically, we don't necessary want more volume, but we want more headroom.
Now, back to this specific product, as you rightfully point out, it could be argued than in this case, well, Sony might only be guilty of... well being Sony. It's a bit unfair, but small companies do not have these limitations really, Hiby or A&K, or even FIIO, would not care, and rightfully so if they still want to have a market, if not there is no business for them period. Not only they are surely under the radar, even if they were on the radar, it's fair to think that regulators would simply accept that it's a niche market, their buyer make a responsible decision in choosing something with more power, and acknowledge that we can somehow trust them to care about their earing. So, for cell phones, I could agree and accept because the device was not bought for music first, and maybe, legally, an argument could be made that, well, I didn't know I was buying something that could blow my eardrums, now pay. Portable players/amps should be a different class of product, maybe include some mandatory warning, but let the enthousiasth have the option to enjoy the headphone that they tastefully chosen and allow them to ear the full dynamic of the recording. Now... maybe in the end I give this too much importance if Sony is the only DAP manufacturer to actually follow these regulations... I guess they can survive this. The small players would not.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It could be argued than in this case, well, Sony might only be guilty of... well being Sony.

That's the way I look at it. Sony has been producing portable, personal, music entertainment devices since day one. In fact, they arguably invented the entire segment/genre.

If Sony were to preside over a generation of hearing damaged customers, simply beacuse they wanted to play a power/numbers game, I would be shocked. They are way smarter than that.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I looked at owning DAPs recently enough and have had a few forays but the case for them based on my needs just wasn't compelling. I was on the FiiO M6 tour and enjoyed the device for sure, but I can't say it offered something that I couldn't replace. In the end for portable use a set of good Bluetooth headphones, decent playback software (I use Onkyo HF Player Pro) and a smartphone is all I need.

I currently use my LG G7 as the BT source and Sony XM3 headphones, which sound lovely once I use some equalization to cut out some of the bass bloat in the stock signature. Doing that liberates a pretty competent sound signature from the overburden and it is a pretty engaging little headphone. Although saying that most recently I acquired the KEF Spaceone Wireless and tend to use that more.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I wasn't defending the Sony. I was referring to my DAP. Don't have an iPhone- have a Samsung S10+, use UAPP and it's not that easy to quickly turn off those pesky alerts. Obviously can't hear phone alerts when plugged into the R5. I can use the R5 as a external DAC as well.
Thanks. I'm against portable DAPs in general, not just the Sony: can't see the point I'm afraid.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thanks. I'm against portable DAPs in general, not just the Sony: can't see the point I'm afraid.

Almost like you're some kind of...audio sceptic...
:facepalm:

witchdoctor

All good. I like my Onkyo DP-X1 DAP because it is one device that fits in my hand, has great SQ, and is android based. Every device in my system from my HT, my man cave, my whole house play-fi system can be operated from this one device. Like Loord of the Rings for devices, "One DAP to Rule Them All".
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/onkyo-dp-x1-portable-music-player/

I am thinking about adding a DAC and use the USB out but I love the sound signature of the Onkyo so much I just can't do it (yet, but the Gustard X16 is tempting). Right now I even plug it straight into my HT processor and the SQ is just lovely without headphones too :).

Last edited:

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
Tempotec might make one. Their dongle, the Sonata HD Pro was well reviewed here (under the name HIDIZS S8). The Tempotec V1-A DAP has digital (USB type C) and analog out. However, it is physically nowhere as nice as the Sony, and the UI is truly uninspired, but then again, it can be purchased for less than $100 (and it is small and light, so more portable).

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Unfortunately if I mute the speaker then I can't hear the music.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 like you and this is not the case - muting notifications does not affect music playback at all. Even if it did, as I said in my my pervious comment you can just use the 'Do not disturb' feature or flight mode instead.

mugbot

Forum Donor
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 like you and this is not the case - muting notifications does not affect music playback at all. Even if it did, as I said in my my pervious comment you can just use the 'Do not disturb' feature or flight mode instead.

For the S10 users, if you haven't already installed Good Lock you should do so. It's a suite of improvements to the UI made by Samsung themselves.
One of the best features is Sound Assistant which gives you a Windows style mixer, allowing you to mute notifications while leaving the music unaffected.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
For the S10 users, if you haven't already installed Good Lock you should do so. It's a suite of improvements to the UI made by Samsung themselves.
One of the best features is Sound Assistant which gives you a Windows style mixer, allowing you to mute notifications while leaving the music unaffected.

This already happens by default without SoundAssistant, but yes, it is good if you want to tweak extra options, including adjusting for much finer volume control, up to 150 volume steps. I think the app works for most Samsung Galaxy devices.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Using UAPP it does affect playback.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Will this work when using UAPP?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a fact that these DAPs all have subpar chipsets for the price they offer (usually below Snapdragon 660) and restricted Android version with no upgrade path and pared down functionalities like no cell network. 8.1 is nice but we're already on 11 now, yes you don't have to always be on the latest version but three version behind could have potential implications to security and the kind of app you can install on the device, not to forget the aging chipsets. All that along with usually bloated size is the drawback most DAP buyers are willing to tolerate for the added audio-related circuitry, which ironically hasn't shown to deliver the intended audio performance from all neutral party measurements so far.

As for don't lumping all Hiby devices together, this logic goes both way, as of now these DAP makers haven't shown anything that could convince me otherwise. The ball is in their court.
Which neutral party? Haven't seen any measurements of DAP's except Amir's of the Hiby R6 and this Sony one. I'm curious-how is Android restricted? I agree the Snapdragon chip is pretty old/slow but fast enough for what the device is intended for. We'll just have to agree to disagree and that's fine. I love my Hiby R5 and if you haven't used/heard one I'm curious why you have such a jaded opinion of it/them.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tested it with UAPP, it didn't. No idea why yours does, never heard of that issue from anyone else before.
How do you mute the alerts? I tried, but short of turning them all off I'm not sure how to achieve that. Wish I could. One of the most frustrating things related to UAPP is when streaming if the cell or wifi signal fades a bit the music drops out and seldom restarts. And when I'm out and about and I get a text alert I hear the tone and if often stops playback as well. Very frustrating. I may have some settings on my phone and/or UAPP wrong.

wasnotwasnotwas

I just tested it with UAPP, it didn't. No idea why yours does, never heard of that issue from anyone else before.

I concur, never had system sounds coming through my UAPP audio using either external DAC or internal DAC. On at least 3 different Android phones.

Top Bottom