• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL VMV A2 Review (Stereo Amplifier & DAC)

Roland68

Major Contributor
The EQ profiles come 1:1 from the presumably used STA309A chip, which also controls the bass, treble and subwoofer management.
On the A30a, all 32 EQ profiles from the STA309A are available in FW 1.12, as are all bass management crossover frequencies from 70 - 160 Hz.

STA309A EQ profiles (32)
Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-24 um 01.51.11.png

muchkaev

The EQ profiles come 1:1 from the presumably used STA309A chip, which also controls the bass, treble and subwoofer management.
On the A30a, all 32 EQ profiles from the STA309A are available in FW 1.12, as are all bass management crossover frequencies from 70 - 160 Hz.

STA309A EQ profiles (32)
View attachment 336676
Yes! You're right, that's exactly what I have on my A2. Is it possible that I don't have an original version? A cheaper build?

GiBo61

Yes! You're right, that's exactly what I have on my A2. Is it possible that I don't have an original version? A cheaper build?
I do not see why you say that. The Sabaj A30a is the low cost version of the VMV A2

muchkaev

I do not see why you say that. The Sabaj A30a is the low cost version of the VMV A2
I think it's not good to deceive people. Because you want to buy A2, but you get A30a disguised as A2. Which has different characteristics. For example, there is no UAT codec. Did anyone have such A2 versions?

Roland68

Major Contributor
I think it's not good to deceive people. Because you want to buy A2, but you get A30a disguised as A2. Which has different characteristics. For example, there is no UAT codec. Did anyone have such A2 versions?
I don't understand how you come up with that. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that there is a clone of the VMV A2.

The Sabaj A30a is a different device with a different housing, different PCB layout, fewer controls, cheaper remote control and different connections, e.g. no AES, but separate sub out and coax in.
VMV is the noble / high-end brand from SMSL. Sabaj is another independent brand that is somehow part of the consortium of SMSL and Loxjie. Most of Sabaj's devices have an exceptionally good price/performance ratio and it is no secret that their developments (can) benefit from the consortium.

You can be sure that you have a completely normal and original SMSL VMV A2.
But I would be very interested to know how you came to your conclusions and how you were deceived.

GiBo61

Is there in your VMV A2 something LESS compared to the specs of the model present on the SMSL/VMV site? If the answer is NO, If the answer is no, then I don't understand the reason for your complaints. You didn't talk about your impressions of use, which remains the most important thing about a hifi device. I have a Sabaj A30a and I'm VERY happy with it.
The different eq settings in your VMV A2 likely come from a firmware update: on your device you now have MORE options than in the first version of the amplifier. Furthermore, I don't find it strange that the serial number is not present on the box but only on the product, in general I don't like the idea that the sn of my devices can be easily seen by anyone, sometimes they are requested by the manufacturer to obtain software or updates firmware, special offers, etc.
It was very clear from the beginning that the Sabaj A30a is a sort of cheaper clone (about half price) of the VMV A2: if you chose to buy the VMV A2 I imagine it's because you liked it better. It must be added that the VMV A2 has been tested here by Amir with good results, so far nobody made instrumental measurements on the Sabaj to see if it performs similarly.

Last edited:

muchkaev

I was confused by the fact that there were 8 equalizer profiles in the reviews, it was written in the documentation out of the box that it also has 8 equalizer profiles. And in fact, I have 32 of them. Just the same as in the cheaper version of the Sabaj A30a. That's why I wondered what was wrong. But I figured it out. It turned out that SMSL updated the device version to ver 1.2. But the documentation was updated only in electronic form, and not the updated paper version was put in a box with 8 sound profiles. The question is closed)

GiBo61

I was confused by the fact that there were 8 equalizer profiles in the reviews, it was written in the documentation out of the box that it also has 8 equalizer profiles. And in fact, I have 32 of them. Just the same as in the cheaper version of the Sabaj A30a. That's why I wondered what was wrong. But I figured it out. It turned out that SMSL updated the device version to ver 1.2. But the documentation was updated only in electronic form, and not the updated paper version was put in a box with 8 sound profiles. The question is closed)
Out of curiosity are you happy with the performance of your amp in your setup? I'm really fascinated by the full digital amplification and Axign technologies.

muchkaev

Before that, I had such a bundle of SA400 + D300 + DALI SUB E-9 + Dali spektor 6. After seeing a good price offer for A2 and good reviews, I decided to remove the extra interblock wires and a separate DAC. And another reason was that the fan in the SA400 was constantly running.

I supplied the sound from the phone via a USB wire. The first impression is that the sound was not so muffled or something. After 5-8 hours of listening, I played with you high(+4) and low (+2). And that's when I felt this very sparkle and purity. And he said oh yes)) It sounds very nice. Also, of the advantages, I note that the fan did not turn on even once, not even at a high volume. It pleases me. And another impression is that it seemed to me much weaker than the SA400. But I rarely listen at high volume.

GiBo61

Before that, I had such a bundle of SA400 + D300 + DALI SUB E-9 + Dali spektor 6. After seeing a good price offer for A2 and good reviews, I decided to remove the extra interblock wires and a separate DAC. And another reason was that the fan in the SA400 was constantly running.

I supplied the sound from the phone via a USB wire. The first impression is that the sound was not so muffled or something. After 5-8 hours of listening, I played with you high(+4) and low (+2). And that's when I felt this very sparkle and purity. And he said oh yes)) It sounds very nice. Also, of the advantages, I note that the fan did not turn on even once, not even at a high volume. It pleases me. And another impression is that it seemed to me much weaker than the SA400. But I rarely listen at high volume.

Even on my Sabaj I have never heard the noise of the cooling fan, but in my apartment I cannot listen to music above a medium-high volume (more medium than high). Regarding the ouput power of the VMV A2 compared to your previous SMSL SA400 should be essentially the same according to Amir's test of the SA400 (212 vs 206 watts @ 4 ohm). Probably either the logaritmic control of the volume or the input sesitivity is different on the 2 devices.

muchkaev

Even on my Sabaj I have never heard the noise of the cooling fan, but in my apartment I cannot listen to music above a medium-high volume (more medium than high). Regarding the ouput power of the VMV A2 compared to your previous SMSL SA400 should be essentially the same according to Amir's test of the SA400 (212 vs 206 watts @ 4 ohm). Probably either the logaritmic control of the volume or the input sesitivity is different on the 2 devices.
"Probably either the logaritmic control of the volume or the input sesitivity is different on the 2 devices." - I think you're right.

renoxd

Will the lack of ability to run full-range without a sub to be fixed in a firmware update or mk2 version?

Roland68

Major Contributor
Will the lack of ability to run full-range without a sub to be fixed in a firmware update or mk2 version?
Where did you get the information that the loudspeakers are not operated in full range?

renoxd

Where did you get the information that the loudspeakers are not operated in full range?
I had it and had to return. There was no option to disable subcutoff. The only option is to set something between 70 Hz to 160 Hz. My NAD356 has much more lower base than SMSL

Roland68

Major Contributor
I had it and had to return. There was no option to disable subcutoff. The only option is to set something between 70 Hz to 160 Hz. My NAD356 has much more lower base than SMSL
Sorry to tell you this, but you missed the right setting.
In the SUB CUTOFF menu you must select the SUB OFF point (directly before 70Hz), which switches off the subwofer and releases the entire frequency range for the speakers.

renoxd

In the SUB CUTOFF menu you must select the SUB OFF point (directly before 70Hz), which switches off the subwofer and releases the entire frequency range for the speakers.
My unit didn't have it. There was nothing before 70Hz

renoxd

Here you have similar feedback from Amazon if you don't believe me

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So does this have a high pass if you use the sub out?

Roland68

Major Contributor
My unit didn't have it. There was nothing before 70Hz
In previous menus this item did not exist and was located under a differently named menu item in a different location.
But you also see in Amirm's review that the frequency response is straight from 20 Hz, and it was one of the first devices with an early firmware version.
There is no question that the menus on these devices are often not sophisticated and logical. The manuals for the devices often do not match the menus and/or are incomplete and inaccurate.

I also noticed that the default settings of the latest firmware version on my Sabaj A30 and a friend's VMV A2 are a bit unfortunate. After the firmware update, the subwoofer function was switched on on both devices and set to 70 Hz.

Top Bottom