• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A300 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 44 15.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 151 54.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 24.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I just purchased an A300 and should have it in two days. It should be more than adequate for my needs. I am going to be using it to power a pair of Celestion DL8 MKIIs that I play music through while I play the drums along with the music. In that context, given that I don't need the finest quality in musical reproduction fidelity, the A300 should be quite good I expect. I need adequate sound quality, enough power to probably reach about 75-80 decibels and it needs to be convenient. I will be using my now dedicated music streaming phone (LG G8x) to stream to the A300.

I have absolutely no issue with using Bluetooth (I really don't think people can hear a difference with modern Bluetooth capabilities). I was using My Gustard X16 via Bluetooth from my phone, either streaming Tidal at the 320 quality or from local stored CD rips from my collection. I was using a NAD M3 with a pair of Monitor Audio PL200 and a pair of SVS SB 2000 pro subs so not super high end, but a pretty good system. I could not hear any sound quality degradation using pretty much only well to fantastic quality recordings.

I can't imagine that I will regret this purchase unless it fails quickly. In Canadian dollars with shipping and tax the A300 will cost me just under $300 so pretty darn reasonable. I'll report my experience once I finally get some time with the A300.

ampguy

Probably will be fine, mine are, but do note the fr specs, SINAD, load dependency, ch separation, etc have been bettered by other low price amps, but I haven’t audibly heard those differences, and the sub filtering features, EQ, 400wpc mono has not been bettered by anything I’ve seen reviewed at this price point.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Probably will be fine, mine are, but do note the fr specs, SINAD, load dependency, ch separation, etc have been bettered by other low price amps, but I haven’t audibly heard those differences, and the sub filtering features, EQ, 400wpc mono has not been bettered by anything I’ve seen reviewed at this price point.
That is also my feeling. If one has realistic expectations, and the A300 can meet those expectations, which in my case seems likely, then all should be good. It is also possible that the way my DL8 speakers interact with the A300 will be fine. It would have to be a pretty bad result to not be worth the investment I think, but we shall see. I will certainly post my impressions once I have some worth sharing. The Bluetooth was key for me. I would never buy any audio product that doesn't implement Bluetooth effectively. USB and other wired connections be damned, they bring nothing to the table except needless complication.

ampguy

I don’t use the BT feature or built in DAC, just turntable and streamer for Roon, Qobuz and external USB (from Roon streamer) DAC but goes line in to amp. I like the EQ flat or SDB mode with my 4 ohm speakers, if bright w 8 ohm speakers, the flexible EQ should work fine for tuning. I also use a REL sub that works great with the amp filters.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I don’t use the BT feature or built in DAC, just turntable and streamer for Roon, Qobuz and external USB (from Roon streamer) DAC but goes line in to amp. I like the EQ flat or SDB mode with my 4 ohm speakers, if bright w 8 ohm speakers, the flexible EQ should work fine for tuning. I also use a REL sub that works great with the amp filters.
I have one of my SVS SB 2000 Pro subs left at home (loaned the other one to my brother) and I will probably use it as well. I am actually pretty stoked about the A300 and really anticipate the balance of features/functionality/sound quality to be just right for my use scenario. That could all go to hell if the load dependency results in my DL 8s sounding overly rolled off, but really there is no reason to expect that to be the case.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
But seriously, BT is really quite adequate in my experience. I essentially began switching over to BT with no regrets several years ago now and would never go back. I went from my full rig (NAD M3/ Gustard X16/Monitor Audio PL200/SVS SB 2000 Pro subs) to now just using a really good Sonos system (obviously with some compromises for the sake of convenience). That was the natural progression of realizing that whatever small (if any meaningful pleasure) was lost by downsizing and also going BT with headphones and sources, was more than compensated for with convenience, cost savings and less room taken up by my music systems.

In my 30s and 40s it was really important to me to have large, lifelike music filling the room at high volumes. Now, I just don't consume music like that and I find I enjoy music more now, even though I also spend a great deal less time listening to it. Priority shift. Regardless, before this priority shift, even back several years ago when large, full-sized systems were important to me as was spending as much time as possible listening to music, I still never found BT to result in any audible fidelity penalty. I love BT and consider it an absolute requirement now. I couldn't care less about optical/SPDIF or USB inputs any more. They offer me nothing (except needing optical from my old TV to my Sonos Arc soundbar).

A Surfer

Major Contributor
A300 seems solid for my needs; however, one disappointment is that the only BT codec supported is SBC. Probably ok for my needs, but in 2024 it is way disappointing.

I wonder if I am just missing a setting to enable other codecs? Doubt it, but possibly.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
I felt the same way.
Solved the problem with the smsl DO 100. Great specs, LDAC and connectivity.

Bleib

Major Contributor
BT and DAC for this amp are not its highlights, I would avoid using both if possible

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I have my Gustard X16 plugged into the A300, but that defeats the purpose for me. I've been listening to the BT with SBC and it seems good enough for playing the drums along with music so probably going to keep it and sell off the X16.

My purpose was to simplify and a one device solution for this use is very appealing.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
For those of you more technical than I am, what do you think about using the A300 with speaker tap cables for headphones? Just a thought, but I already have a speaker tap cable made that I used for years with my NAD M3.

I would probably be using a Sony Z7 MKII and an original Verum 1. I have both on hand, but since I took my main system down, the only thing I have that could work is the A300 with the speaker tap cable, but as a budget class D product, I'm not sure how it would deal with a headphone as a load. Any thoughts?

AudioX3

I woke up today feeling off, kept making mistakes. Sure enough, I made an impulse purchase of this amp (instead of the Fosi v3/ 48volt for my pair of Elac db62s ) just an hour before this review was posted. I prioritized the remote and extra rca for my turntable, thinking it couldn’t be worse than the v3. Amazon has already shipped it, and it’ll be here tomorrow morning - so my question is should I just return it for the Fosi?
What has been your experience with the smsl a300? It has all the features you prioritized as exactly what i am looking for and am bummed it did not meet ASR recommendation and am not finding an alternative as of yet.

AudioX3

The feature set the SMSL A300 is exactly what I am looking for. But if the performance is not on par with ASR recommendation, that has me stumped.

I am looking for a unit that has the following:

* quality amp to drive high end speakers (SMSL A300 fails per ASR review)
* power rating of at least 50 watts continuous for 8 ohms, 100 4 ohms with real industry standard THD specs (as in not 400 watts with 10% distortion false advertising)
* at least one or more Analog in that is RCA in
* Remote volume control
* sub out

The amp would be taking analog input from my existing DAC / Headphone Amp that I do not want to get rid of, but has no remote.

Any suggestions for alternative products with the above mentioned bullets?

Even maybe better, anyone know of simply a quality device to connect with analog output from my DAC, provide remote control based volume control that can send out analog to a external amplifier which I would then keep my existing amplifier? (ie a remote control based volume device that takes RCA analog in and outputs RCA analog.)

Any experiences with the A300 that folks here have that says the amp performance is still excellent enough and recommends it anyway?

ampguy

The feature set the SMSL A300 is exactly what I am looking for. But if the performance is not on par with ASR recommendation, that has me stumped.

* power rating of at least 50 watts continuous for 8 ohms, 100 4 ohms with real industry standard THD specs (as in not 400 watts with 10% distortion false advertising)
* Remote volume control
* sub out

The amp would be taking analog input from my existing DAC / Headphone Amp that I do not want to get rid of, but has no remote.

Even maybe better, anyone know of simply a quality device to connect with analog output from my DAC, provide remote control based volume control that can send out analog to a external amplifier which I would then keep my existing amplifier? (ie a remote control based volume device that takes RCA analog in and outputs RCA analog.)

Any experiences with the A300 that folks here have that says the amp performance is still excellent enough and recommends it anyway?
What speakers? This amp, like a lot of class D amps, has load dependency on freq response. I enjoy the amp immensely with Kef ls50s, rel sub, with turntable, and Roon with qobuz hi res.

Pippo

* Remote volume control
* sub out

Something on nCore based, maybe NAD C399 :) Or just listen to the A300 and it might sound sounds acceptable. How about 2xA300 units in BTL mode? New upgraded version in same price range is Loxije A40.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Moving to the AO300 as it provides better Bluetooth. While I was pleased with the sound quality of the A300 with only SBC support, I figured for the modest price difference I would just move to the AO300 knowing that I had more BT capabilities. I suspect for my use case I will not be able to detect any audible improvement, but you never know. Plus I like the silver finish that I ordered the AO300 in. I imagine that the amplifier performance will be identical.

Megadeaf

After going thru all the pages I decided to contact SMSL and they sent me this. Proper way to use Btl mode. I taped slave amp remote receiver with alu foil and a sticker. No pop on turning off or on. I use Allo boss v1.2 dac/streamer with linear power supply as a source into Klipsch Rp6000ii and Monitor audio bronze w10 G6 subwoofer without cut at 100hz. Sound seems to be fuller this way.

100hz is cut-off freq, info from Kelly (must be real name) at Smsl.

Result is pure audio bliss, if you like Klipsch .

Hope I helped somebody.

Screenshot_20240116_165841.jpg

ampguy

While some curves show a peak at 50Hz it rolls off on a slope, with most powered sub their setting seems fine, combined with the low pass on subwoofer, other specs have shown 100hz peak, check the review here as well. Plan on doing some basic room correction and sub fin adjusting

king0188

We have our usual load dependency which exists in budget class D amplifier implementations:
So depending on what speaker you throw at it, the treble may be a bit bright or subdued. There are some tone controls you may be able to use to compensate.
“So depending on what speaker you throw at it, the treble may be a bit bright or subdued.”

Can someone tell me how does "load dependency" affect the speaker?

Top Bottom