• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 DAC + WiiM Pro Plus Streamer

AudioNewbie

After reviewing the ASR data, I've noticed that the SMSL SU-1 DAC boasts a SINAD rating of 116, while the WIIM Pro Plus streamer comes in slightly lower at 111.6.

Presently, I am in possession of the WIIM Pro Plus that has a built-in DAC and have been contemplating the idea of acquiring the SMSL SU-1 DAC.

I would like to kindly inquire whether this marginal difference of 4.4 points in SINAD is likely to have a discernible impact on my overall sound quality, or if it might be considered somewhat of an excessive upgrade considering that both have the same AK4493SEQ chip.

Your insights on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I would like to kindly inquire whether this marginal difference of 4.4 points in SINAD is likely to have a discernible impact on my overall sound quality
Nope, no way, all this is way past audible limits. If anything, the WiiM has slightly better dynamic range (lower noise level) in return, which may be more important depending on your power amp / speaker setup and their respective gain / sensitivity. If all you're feeding is a line-level input on an integrated amp / AVR, the whole discussion is moot anyway (a line-level source needs about 103 dB(A) worth of dynamic range and that's pretty much it).

OP
A

AudioNewbie

Nope, no way, all this is way past audible limits. If anything, the WiiM has slightly better dynamic range (lower noise level) in return, which may be more important depending on your power amp / speaker setup and their respective gain / sensitivity. If all you're feeding is a line-level input on an integrated amp / AVR, the whole discussion is moot anyway (a line-level source needs about 103 dB(A) worth of dynamic range and that's pretty much it).
Thank you. Yes, I do feed line level input from the WiiM Pro Plus to the power amp.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Audiolovers Instead of an SU-1, which would sound exactly the same as your WiiM's built-in Line out, a miniDSP UMIK-1 would be a much more worthwhile investment. It even costs the same at $80.

A UMIK-1, combined with REW (free) and the 4-band Parametric EQ that's built into your WiiM, make a neat little room correction package.

If you want to actually improve sound quality, this is the way.

Last edited:

UA8890

@Audiolovers Instead of an SU-1, which would sound exactly the same as your WiiM's built-in Line out, a miniDSP UMIK-1 would be a much more worthwhile investment. It even costs the same at $80.

A UMIK-1, combined with REW (free) and the 4-band Parametric EQ that's built into your WiiM, make a neat little room correction package.

Does the software work on Windows XP? On old computers? Correction and measurements?

Graham849

Forum Donor

Meanwhile Amazon Australia
Screenshot_20230926-162813.png

staticV3

Master Contributor

CaptainCoolwater

Also keep in mind the WiiM Pro Plus has a 32 bit DAC while the digital out is only 24 bit. Read in the manual what that means for bit perfect output. The SU-1 has an annoying delay when it comes out of sleep. Sleep activates automatically after not listening to anything for a few seconds when using optical or coaxial input.

OP
A

AudioNewbie

Also keep in mind the WiiM Pro Plus has a 32 bit DAC while the digital out is only 24 bit. Read in the manual what that means for bit perfect output. The SU-1 has an annoying delay when it comes out of sleep. Sleep activates automatically after not listening to anything for a few seconds when using optical or coaxial input.
Well, I'll be! I've been usin' that line output from the WiiM, as sure as a hen lays eggs! But bless your heart for sharin' this treasure trove of wisdom, partner. I ain't never laid eyes on any manuals in my born days, no sirree! But I reckon I'll saddle up and dive into this one headfirst, like a bull chargin' at a red cape! It'll be my first rodeo with them booklets, but you've lit a fire under me, and I'm rarin' to go! Much obliged, friend!

CaptainCoolwater

Well, I'll be! I've been usin' that line output from the WiiM, as sure as a hen lays eggs! But bless your heart for sharin' this treasure trove of wisdom, partner. I ain't never laid eyes on any manuals in my born days, no sirree! But I reckon I'll saddle up and dive into this one headfirst, like a bull chargin' at a red cape! It'll be my first rodeo with them booklets, but you've lit a fire under me, and I'm rarin' to go! Much obliged, friend!
Glad to help! This was my first post on this forum after having gained so much from the information here. I am not very audio-knowledgeable myself but I happen to know this. I agree with staticV3 that a UMIK-1 would probably be a better investment.

OP
A

AudioNewbie

Glad to help! This was my first post on this forum after having gained so much from the information here. I am not very audio-knowledgeable myself but I happen to know this. I agree with staticV3 that a UMIK-1 would probably be a better investment.
Well, I'll be! That UMIK-1 recommended by StaticV3 is gonna be mah Thanksgivin' buy, y'all. Sure as the sun sets in the west, it's gonna be a mighty fine addition to mah gear. Thank ya kindly, brother. Welcome, and good luck to ya! Yeehaw!

Tangband

Major Contributor
After reviewing the ASR data, I've noticed that the SMSL SU-1 DAC boasts a SINAD rating of 116, while the WIIM Pro Plus streamer comes in slightly lower at 111.6.

Presently, I am in possession of the WIIM Pro Plus that has a built-in DAC and have been contemplating the idea of acquiring the SMSL SU-1 DAC.

I would like to kindly inquire whether this marginal difference of 4.4 points in SINAD is likely to have a discernible impact on my overall sound quality, or if it might be considered somewhat of an excessive upgrade considering that both have the same AK4493SEQ chip.

Your insights on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
The WiiM pro plus uses ne5532 at the analog output - the su-1 dac uses a better LM circuit. This is probably the reason why the su-1 measures slightly better with lower noise.

Tangband

Major Contributor

Matt_Holland

Well, I'll be! That UMIK-1 recommended by StaticV3 is gonna be mah Thanksgivin' buy, y'all. Sure as the sun sets in the west, it's gonna be a mighty fine addition to mah gear. Thank ya kindly, brother. Welcome, and good luck to ya! Yeehaw!
You have a wonderful way with words, cowboy. Keep ‘em rollin’…

Matt_Holland

Interesting.
What have they done ? Better firmware for the power supply sounds very cryptical - I would guess better OP amps at the output ( but I have no evidence for this )
I just want to know when the improved version is shipping! Only because my OCD won’t ever be satisfied if I buy the first version :p:facepalm:

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning

It's £130 here in the UK, a lot for what is a one off need. I use a £15 dB meter that I bought from Amazon, no idea of its calibration etc, but experimented with it in a semi quantitative way, on the basis that even a coarse room adjustment yields many times more improvements than a small DAC upgrade. I have a particularly troublesome room though, it's easy to hear the room resonance and nodes when doing a sweep test, the dB meter gave me some number to start with.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's £130 here in the UK, a lot for what is a one off need. I use a £15 dB meter that I bought from Amazon, no idea of its calibration etc, but experimented with it in a semi quantitative way, on the basis that even a coarse room adjustment yields many times more improvements than a small DAC upgrade. I have a particularly troublesome room though, it's easy to hear the room resonance and nodes when doing a sweep test, the dB meter gave me some number to start with.
Have a look at this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../could-use-some-101-advice.45592/post-1626833

e4bW

Let me jump in, please. I recently hooked up the SU-1 to the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. It plays well on my receiver to my TV but the volume level is a lot lower (despite the high SINAD rating given by AudioScienceReview) than other DAC's with a dedicated power supply. It is not necessarily the power supply making it that way. The SU-1 only needs 5V to operate at standard output. The current given out is not adequate. I don't know how to change that but I know it is controllable coming out of a full sized computer - the only way I know to change the usb output control Voltage/Current.

As far as the WiiM Pro Plus, the ne5532 is generic for being such a high rated low cost solution. I can think of ten or more op-amps to put in to drive the output much, much better for such a good product. I agree with Tangband that the LM output is better on the SU-1 even never having heard the Wiim Pro Plus personally.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@e4bW I'd first use a USB Power Meter to check if the Shield Pro is really failing to supply enough current to the SU-1. It might just be a digital volume control issue.

If current really is the issue, then you could build a USB Power/Data splitter that allows you to supply power to the SU-1 from an external USB Phone charger and data from the Shield Pro.

To do this, buy a Delock 83176, slice into the USB 3.0 cable insulation, pry apart the braided shielding, and cut the red 5V wire underneath.
That way, your Shield Pro will no longer be able to supply power to the SU-1 and instead, all power must come from the USB 2.0 cable which is plugged into a phone charger.

Then just connect the SU-1 to the Delock splitter with the USB A to C cable that you've been using already.

As far as the WiiM Pro Plus, the ne5532 is generic for being such a high rated low cost solution. I can think of ten or more op-amps to put in to drive the output much, much better for such a good product.
The WiiM Pro Plus is verifiably transparent. Replacing the op-amp will not achieve anything of value.

Top Bottom