• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New stereo set for 5000 EUR

OP
M

maver1ck

Then just plug in an active sub with an adjustable LP filter. Or two subwoofers.;):)

Here's a tip for the OP. A number of subwoofers are tested. Some of them might be suitable in terms of price and performance:? :)

Thanks for the link.
Regarding subs I assume I can use also PEQ from WiiM if there will be a need to fix crossover freqs ?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the link.
Regarding subs I assume I can use also PEQ from WiiM if there will be a need to fix crossover freqs ?
Yes. :) PEQ to fix a sensible FR. You can test yourself with a few different crossover sets on your sub plus take measurements and see how it looks. Also, with a sub, you'll probably need to move it around the room to find a good placement for it.

Consider the limitations of WiiM. It only has four PEQ bands, settings. Okay, you can get a long way with that if you only do bass management, but I mention it anyway.Not all WiiMs have PEQ capabilities, if I remember correctly now. You have to find out which model has it.:)

OP
M

maver1ck

Yes. :) PEQ to fix a sensible FR. You can test yourself with a few different crossover sets on your sub plus take measurements and see how it looks. Also, with a sub, you'll probably need to move it around the room to find a good placement for it.

Consider the limitations of WiiM. It only has four PEQ bands, settings. Okay, you can get a long way with that if you only do bass management, but I mention it anyway.Not all WiiMs have PEQ capabilities, if I remember correctly now. You have to find out which model has it.:)
Both Pro and Pro Plus have it.
In the meantime I found this thread :)

DanielT

Major Contributor
I want to thank @Apollon Audio for super fast order fulfilment. I ordered on Saturday. Today AMP was sent :)
Top notch, SOTA amp you got there. Congratulations. :)

OP
M

maver1ck

Regarding LP-HP filter as I understad miniDSP Flex is the least expensive solution here. (and it's 800 EUR in Poland).

Regarding other staff. Partially for me R3 vs R7 decision is matter of preference (bookshelves vs floorstanding). I prefer floorstanding.

My idea of completing this is as follows.
1) Buy sources. Wiim Pro Plus is already tested. UMIK-1 will arrive tomorrow.
2) As a side project I will measure current equipment. :)
3) In the meantime Apollon Audio is building NCx500ST for me. I'm 100% sure on this part of equipment and it has been ordered.
4) When Amp arrives I will do some sightseeing of nearly audio dealers to do preliminary testing.
KEF R7 is available in my town and heavily discounted (may be related to introduction of Meta series)
5) Then I can order speakers via the internet. In EU you have 14 days to return everything without any reasons. :)
But I want to narrow choice as much as possible.
6) Then I may think about sub. (based on REW measurements and tests)

In this plan the biggest unknown are speakers.
I was thinking also about Revel F206 but they are 2x more expensive in Poland than R7.
What else I should test ?

Measurement of my current equipment. Left and right speaker.
REW, smoothing 1/6 octave, measured on axis from 1m, at the height of tweeter.
I need to remove Christmas tree before doing full room measurement.
What do you think ? :)

lua.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

maver1ck

I tested R7. They sound pretty good. But they are too big for the room.

Any ideas ? R5 for sure ? Something different to try ?

Overseas

Major Contributor
Focal Aria 948, beasts at discount right now in Fr, not for long.

Overseas

Major Contributor
You mean physical?
Then go shelf speakers. Aria 906, Piega Classic 3.0

OP
M

maver1ck

Or stay with current speakers.
However they require some amount of PEQ.
Room response + my EQ (I am limited to 4 settings because of using WiiM Pro Plus)
This is on new amp :)

lua_eq2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

maver1ck

I have occasion to listen to MoFi SourcePoint 8 and this was the sound I'm looking for (at least in the shop).
Will rent them in a few days.

OP
M

maver1ck

OK.
So after spending too many hours on reading ASR / docs and making some measurements I got some results.

1. Main problem is that my room is not symmetrical.
Right speaker is placed in the corner. Left speaker has few meter of space.

Drawing. Red is speaker. Blue - sofa.
room2.jpg

2. Measurements of left speaker.

Red - Mofi SourcePoint 8
Blue - KEF R5
Green - my current speakers - LUA

L all.jpg

3. Measurement of right (corner) speaker (similar colors)

R all.jpg

4. I tried to use PEQ for all the speakers. For Mofi I was getting super problematic resonance so I'm skipping them.

(Left) Kef (blue) vs LUA (green) after EQ.

L EQ.jpg

I'm limited to 4 slots as I'm using Wiim builtin PEQ.
I don't now how to correct 3k-12k plateau in LUA. Their main advantage is bass reflex placed in front (KEF has on the back)

What do you think ?

OP
M

maver1ck

After two weeks of playing with different speaker configuration I'm staying with current speakers.
I just added following EQ configuration to have the sound I'm looking for.

lua_eq.jpg

And graph.

lua_rew.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom