• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
It’s not balanced but it has XLR that’s kind of confusing. Why would they do that? Is the XLR just providing more power than the SE out? Are they just trying to confuse people
It's there so that if your headphones have an XLR you don't have to use an XLR to TRS adapter. Very few headphones would benefit from more power than it already provides.

Veri

Master Contributor
It’s not balanced but it has XLR that’s kind of confusing. Why would they do that? Is the XLR just providing more power than the SE out? Are they just trying to confuse people
So that you can plug balanced headphones into it. And yeah honestly I believe they bet on people seeing the connector and thinking it's balanced. Not that big of a deal though imo, since performance is really good either way.

habb1

Anybody knows where in EU its being sold? I just found audiophonics.fr which don't have it in stock at the moment.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @SMSL-Mandy @SMSL_Liu

I have a DAC that outputs 7Vrms (balanced XLR).

Is that too much for SH-9 balanced XLR input ?

What is maximum input voltage SH-9 supports with balanced XLR input?

Tortie

Forum Donor
@Veri I know you recommended the A30pro as an alternative to the Asgard but the SH-9 looks compelling. I need to do a bit more research but I could really use that onscreen display and remote with my current back injury.

Veri

Master Contributor
@Veri I know you recommended the A30pro as an alternative to the Asgard but the SH-9 looks compelling. I need to do a bit more research but I could really use that onscreen display and remote with my current back injury.
It's especially nice if you have really hard to drive headphones. For more sensitive gear the SH-9 might be a bit 'overpowered'.

Tks

Major Contributor

That settles it(the screen and remote) in that case.

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's especially nice if you have really hard to drive headphones. For more sensitive gear the SH-9 might be a bit 'overpowered'.

Which headphones need more than 6W ? :oops:

(or the different power offered by SH-9 at the different impedances)

Is this a real objective thing or subjective thing, for people needing watts of power for headphones?

Tks

Major Contributor
Which headphones need more than 6W ? :oops:

(or the different power offered by SH-9 at the different impedances)

Is this a real objective thing or subjective thing, for people needing watts of power for headphones?

6W? None, I would imagine something like that level of output potentially tearing drivers.

Music1969

Major Contributor
6W? None, I would imagine something like that level of output potentially tearing drivers.

But as I wrote: "(or the different power offered by SH-9 at the different impedances)"

i.e. what headphones actually needs more power than this (objectively) - or is it just that people subjectively want more power?

1614686544956.png

Tortie

Forum Donor
But as I wrote: "(or the different power offered by SH-9 at the different impedances)"

i.e. what headphones actually needs more power than this (objectively) - or is it just that people subjectively want more power?

View attachment 115821

I had an old amp that drove 200mW into 300ohm load. It had more than enough power for my Sennheisers. I'm sure the SH-9 is more than capable.

Tortie

Forum Donor
Anyone have an opinion on the best retail channel to purchase SMSL gear from for USA based customers? The options I'm seeing, and there's not many, are SHENZHENAUDIO direct or via Amazon Marketplace and then there's Apos Audio which some speculate is just another store front for Shenzhen Audio.

Veri

Master Contributor
Anyone have an opinion on the best retail channel to purchase SMSL gear from for USA based customers? The options I'm seeing, and there's not many, are SHENZHENAUDIO direct or via Amazon Marketplace and then there's Apos Audio which some speculate is just another store front for Shenzhen Audio.
I like amazon but only when it's shipped from US, not from China over marketplace..
Apos has always been great for me, but apparently they've gotten slower since COVID.

Tks

Major Contributor

View attachment 115821

None to my knowledge, but it would depend on your power target (SPL output) otherwise I don't know what you mean "objectively". Like if I had a headphone, and my SPL target was 160dB (if you're in the mood to translate what a shotgun blast would really sound like, and take the drivers to hell with it), then sure the SMSL won't be enough for some headphones.

There are calculators you can use, (don't forget to find out if manufacturers spec the sensitivity dBSPL @ 1 volt RMS, or dBSPL @ 1 milliwatt). And with your own power target, you can get a rough outline of power requirements (it's not an exact reading in reality due to slight impedance variance that can happen across the frequency range due to output impedance's of amps).

Tortie

Forum Donor
I like amazon but only when it's shipped from US, not from China over marketplace..
Apos has always been great for me, but apparently they've gotten slower since COVID.

Same here. 'Fulfilled by Amazon' is how I like to roll. Looks like that option isn't available at the moment.

Music1969

Major Contributor
None to my knowledge, but it would depend on your power target (SPL output) otherwise I don't know what you mean "objectively".

Objectively meaning, do any headphones exist with such a sensitivity (dB per mW) that you need more than those power output specs I quoted.

I imagine the answer is no and people just subjectively feel they need more?

If so, why would anyone need more power than SH-9? And choose the Topping which can have channel imbalance issues.

I could be wrong though. I just have seen such a low sensitivity headphones but it could be out there.

But yes I agree it obviously depends on what SPLs the listener needs and I guess that's the unknown. Depends person to person

Veri

Master Contributor
If so, why would anyone need more power than SH-9? And choose the Topping which can have channel imbalance issues.
Can it though? Pretty much all recent Topping amps have binned volume pots for very good channel matching. Not a problem in practice.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Objectively meaning, do any headphones exist with such a sensitivity (dB per mW) that you need more than those power output specs I quoted.

Mostly it's just irrational need, but there are a couple. IIRC the original Hifiman HE-6 is 50 ohms with dB/mW efficiency in the mid 70's which would be at least 2W for 120dB peaks.

Top Bottom