• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

hawk01

as a reference for everyone here, i bought the topping L30 (2012### series) believing it will power my hifiman he400i 2020 based on its measured performance. in my experience while it was able to do so in high gain, i am running it at almost full bore with no more headroom left which personally is not my preferred ideal. even worse my L30 began to show signs of clipping at high volume settings which never happens with my easier to drive dynamic driver headphone.

i got an SH9 which is more than adequate for the job running at around 50-60% on high gain. it has an immaculate volume control which more than makes up for its lesser ouput than the topping A30pro counterpart. it is also cheaper by a huge margin on my side of the pond.

lessons learned here:

1. while modern chi-fi gear offers stellar measured performance, as @amirm always state in his reviews, there will be unique instances when production units may vary or outright perform dismally depending on how lucky you are with the draw!

2. buy more amplifier power than you will ever need and buy it only once so you save more on the get go. while i got the L30 for its low price point, it fell short of my expectations which ultimately pushed me to buy the SH9.

3. while planar magnetics sound amazing, they are innately difficult to drive in my opinion! while the reviews of HE400i state otherwise, i say YMMV...

as a side note, the new topping A30pro unlike other SS HP amps comes with a top plate peppered with vent holes and for good reason i must say! my L30 warms up quite a bit in ambient tropical weather conditions hovering at 30-34degC. while it is warm to the touch, it is getting “too warm” in my opinion. it is also at this state when i experience the clipping episodes. i have always believed that heat in any form is always an enemy of electronics. more so amplifiers since they will generate heat that needs effective dissipation! kudos to topping for doing its job to accomplish this! the SH9 being more powerful than the L30 also generates a decent amount of heat after a few hours run time. sadly SMSL did not provide any venting whether it may be deemed necessary or not. fortunately, it is easy to tear down the SH9. ergo i am running it in “topless“ mode during listening sessions! i unscrewed the top plate and just take it off everytime i use the amp then put it on again like a lid to protect from dust after use. while there may be a method to this madness, i just keep in mind to avoid the potentially hazardous open innards during operation! in this “topless” state you begin appreciate the arrangement of relays and their respective flashing LEDs with every volume change. eye candy so to speak like christmas lights when you ride the remote volume control!

Magnifico

Well you can´t compare L30 and A30pro really.
A30pro is really another bis step up when it comes to power even compared to SH-9
A30pro is another universe when it come to power....

Just look at what amir measured coming from an A30pro.
"insane" was his word ;)

Other than those stupid power hungry magnetics headphone...SH-9 will power anything with ease.
When I read 50ohms I thought Jesus....SH-9 will destroy those headphones until I read...those cans can use 2Watts @50ohm.
Well...if you buy such special headphones it is mandatory to learn to use those as well.

SMSL SH-9 is on sale @aliexpress btw.

Last edited:

Daniel82

Thanks a lot guys.

I will soon order the HE6SE and try how it sounds on the SH-9. And if the power is really not enough or the sound is not so voluminous I will still buy the SMSL SP400.

The A30Pro unfortunately I do not like the design.

jawbfl

I made up my mind about the SH-9, I plan to have Macbook 3.5mm (to be replaced by a budget DAC like an E30 later) > SH-9 RCA > Sundara, any good reason to reconsider this setup?

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks a lot guys.

I will soon order the HE6SE and try how it sounds on the SH-9. And if the power is really not enough or the sound is not so voluminous I will still buy the SMSL SP400.

The A30Pro unfortunately I do not like the design.
What you dont like about it? Seems to be very practical, more powerful and has an out. The advantage of the sh9 is the lower price and fancy volume control.

Magnifico

I made up my mind about the SH-9, I plan to have Macbook 3.5mm (to be replaced by a budget DAC like an E30 later) > SH-9 RCA > Sundara, any good reason to reconsider this setup?
Have you ever thought about a Loxjie D30 or Topping DX3 Pro ?

jawbfl

What you dont like about it? Seems to be very practical, more powerful and has an out. The advantage of the sh9 is the lower price and fancy volume control.
Looks good and is discounted now, just making sure I didn't miss anything, the power listed is 3W in 32Ohms but @amirm measured 1.7W at 33Ohms why is that?

Have you ever thought about a Loxjie D30 or Topping DX3 Pro ?
Loxjie D30 is maily a DAC, the amp doesn't look good, DX3 Pro is a bit old I guess never looked into it honestly.

jannek

Looks good and is discounted now, just making sure I didn't miss anything, the power listed is 3W in 32Ohms but @amirm measured 1.7W at 33Ohms why is that?

As far as I know Amir measures power with 2V Input RCA or 4V balanced. The voltages used by manufacturers are higher.
Also Amir takes the power when distortion begins shooting up, some manufacturers take the power when 1% THD are reached.

jawbfl

As far as I know Amir measures power with 2V Input RCA or 4V balanced. The voltages used by manufacturers are higher.
Also Amir takes the power when distortion begins shooting up, some manufacturers take the power when 1% THD are reached.
AFAIK only a few DAC provide 4V, so testing should be done at 2V, I understand manufacturers test at high voltages to increase the power specs which is shady, but not sure why testing is done this way, I'll try to find some measurements for 2V.

jawbfl

4V are pretty normal in balanced mode. But it was a lot more if I remember correctly.
I see, I went with SE voltages, so E30 isn't the best DAC for this, maybe Soncoz LA-QXD1.

Magnifico

Well.....The price is now 252,20€
I payed 213,71€.
I´d say that was a discount ;)

hawk01

to all owners of the SH-9! one peculiar thing i noticed with my unit is that when i plug into the wall outlet it powers up already and does not go into a standby or off mode. anyone here made such observation?

hawk01

I don't get the problem - I plugged it in once in November - done...
i assume you leave it plugged all the time? i always unplug mine when not in use and the unit is always ON everytime i plug it into the wall outlet. although it works fine, i just thought it should be OFF everytime you plug it in.

Top Bottom