• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SH-9 THX Headphone Amplifier Review

reima10

Hi,

could someone please explain what this menu setting exactly does? I don't get it from the english user manual... i could guess that it reduces the relay steps but maybe someone knows the exact purpose of this setting:

1607611402375.png

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
could someone please explain what this menu setting exactly does? I don't get it from the english user manual... i could guess that it reduces the relay steps but maybe someone knows the exact purpose of this setting:

It sounds like it waits until you stop rotating the encoder before actually switching the relays to change the volume.

Relays do wear out eventually, especially cheaper ones, so switching them less often will reduce wear.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
on my sp400 i prefer the faster volume change when i spin the knob, and yah, it increases the relay lifespan.

scorePO

Since the volume steps on the SH-9 are very small, I also prefer the "enable" option to achieve faster changes.

ClosDeLaRoche

Can the screen be turned off completely? Or, have an auto turn-off feature like have it turn off 3 seconds after I push a button?

BenF

Forum Donor
@ClosDeLaRoche: No, you can't turn off the display. You can only reduce the brightness in 6 steps. But I assume such a functionality could be implemented by a new firmware?

ClosDeLaRoche

Dang, that's a no-buy from me then. Having it remote controlled makes it especially good for a home-theater setup, but who wants a headphone-amp screen distracting them from a game or movie?

Nango

Major Contributor
So what is the purpose of the XLR Outputs if the circuit is not balanced other than misleading the buyer? Can't get it.

Nango

Major Contributor
Dang, that's a no-buy from me then. Having it remote controlled makes it especially good for a home-theater setup, but who wants a headphone-amp screen distracting them from a game or movie?
The only reason for that device has been to match measurement criteria, it seems to me.

Veri

Master Contributor
So what is the purpose of the XLR Outputs if the circuit is not balanced other than misleading the buyer? Can't get it.
Just to offer that connector. But yeah it's a little bit misleading. They did the same on the SMSL SP200.

Upcoming Topping A30 Pro will also offer balanced out connector, but using (extremely powerful) single ended circuit. But the 4.4mm connector will have a dedicated ground return path so less noise and crosstalk. So in this case there's an actual benefit.

Last edited:

Sak

They did the same on the SMSL SP200.

Upcoming Topping A30 Pro will also offer balanced out connector, but using (extremely powerful) single ended circuit. But the 4.4mm connector will have a dedicated ground return path so less noise and crosstalk. So in this case there's an actual benefit.

But in SP200, the single ended circuit and balance are different (signal of 2 headphone speakers is not connected together ).
And balanced output is less noise and crosstalk .
SMSL_Liu spoke about this.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...msl-sp200-thx-hp-amp.9242/page-13#post-252710

Trankz93

I have the SU-9 and the SH-9 connected via XLR cables. I'm using Emu Teak headphones. Would I benefit from using balanced cables on the Emu Teaks even though the output is single ended? Or should I just get a Topping A90 instead and run it all balanced? Will it make a noticeable difference? Sorry. New to all of this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I have the SU-9 and the SH-9 connected via XLR cables. I'm using Emu Teak headphones. Would I benefit from using balanced cables on the Emu Teaks even though the output is single ended? Or should I just get a Topping A90 instead and run it all balanced?
No, no. It won't somehow sound better when using balanced headphone cables. This is a good article:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better
balanced can push out more volume, but I imagine that's hardly necessary for your Emus.

Trankz93

No, no. It won't somehow sound better when using balanced headphone cables. This is a good article:
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better
balanced can push out more volume, but I imagine that's hardly necessary for your Emus.
I plan to order Periapt cables for the Emu's. The article states that there's an advantage to using the XLR connection due to low contact resistance which eliminates distortion, unlike what I've read in previous posts stating that there's no difference. Do you think this would be noticeable in a five foot cable? I'd prefer using the 1/4 inch connection so I wouldn't have to swap cables going between the SMSL SH-9 and the Soundblaster G6 for my PS5. The Emu Teak 2.5mm connections are questionable.

Veri

Master Contributor
I plan to order Periapt cables for the Emu's. The article states that there's an advantage to using the XLR connection due to low contact resistance which eliminates distortion, unlike what I've read in previous posts stating that there's no difference. Do you think this would be noticeable in a five foot cable? I'd prefer using the 1/4 inch connection so I wouldn't have to swap cables going between the SMSL SH-9 and the Soundblaster G6 for my PS5. The Emu Teak 2.5mm connections are questionable.
Unless you can benefit from the extra balanced power output, there's no real probability of hearing a noticeable difference. You can try if you're curious enough, though :p

Trankz93

Unless you can benefit from the extra balanced power output, there's no real probability of hearing a noticeable difference. You can try if you're curious enough, though :p
No, I don't have $70 worth of curiousness. Plus it's more convenient to skip the XLR. Thanks again.

MacCali

Major Contributor
There is no balanced output either. :)

But yes, the price is good.
It’s not balanced but it has XLR that’s kind of confusing. Why would they do that? Is the XLR just providing more power than the SE out? Are they just trying to confuse people

Top Bottom