• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

ryohnosuke

Seems you have newer SW than mine: SW: 1.4 HW: 1.2 2019-07-28 (firmware updated)

I tried with optical right now and it works fine.
I can confirm connection drops with LG TV using optical SPDIF interface. Drop is about half second but is very noticeable.

Firmware could fix that? I'm thinking on return this DAC.

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So should one listen to Tidal MQA with Passthrough enabled or disabled for full MQA decoding and to obtain maximum quality audio. And what color light appears when the DAC is doing the full decoding (including final rendering)?

Charles0322

So should one listen to Tidal MQA with Passthrough enabled or disabled for full MQA decoding and to obtain maximum quality audio. And what color light appears when the DAC is doing the full decoding (including final rendering)?

Pass through or disable software decoding to allow M500 to decode fully. Light will depend on release. Some MQA is not a final version so green light but I see blue light next to many.

Viper Necklampy

Would it maintain the same performance as USB (except MQA) with Optical (like Chromecast Audio or normal Chromecast Ultra)? Any users here?
So i would really like to know it, as this dac seems to shine on the measurements, and at that price, i have received my M500 today, but as i use it only on optical i would really like to know his performance on Optical! I guess a breathtaking measurement DAC like this deservea an s/pdif measurements too, right @amirm? :)

ryohnosuke

So i would really like to know it, as this dac seems to shine on the measurements, and at that price, i have received my M500 today, but as i use it only on optical i would really like to know his performance on Optical! I guess a breathtaking measurement DAC like this deservea an s/pdif measurements too, right @amirm? :)
Do you have tiny sound drops using optical input?

Shoaibexpert

Got my M500 today...SW 1.5 and HW 1.2.

Sounds amazing...don't care whatever people say...I can see this sounds better than my old SU 8!! Especially in the treble region...very well controlled! Maybe because of better distortion control...

Anyways, after updating the USB SW to 1.07 I noticed that I no longer can control the volume via PC or Tidal App. The remote is good enough...buy was wondering why??

Btw, MQA full deciding (blue dot) disables all filters!

Still waiting for a linearity graph against frequency (not the one posted on review) to make sure no frequency is being emphasized like rumors suggest....

Also, what's most people's preferred Filter? I'm finding Apodidizing to be the most linear and relaxed...but really torn between Fast Minimum, Hybrid and Apodidizing here...

Last edited:

Jaysz

Shenzhen says mqa auto switches to a setting and shouldn't use filters.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

strangeskies

what's most people's preferred Filter? I'm finding Apodidizing to be the most linear and relaxed...but really torn between Fast Minimum, Hybrid and Apodidizing here...

I wouldn't bet on my ability to properly identify the various filters blind...but I think I prefer the apodizing for the reasons you mentioned -- it sounds a tiny bit more relaxed.

It's been interesting bouncing from Qobuz hi-res and Tidal MQA on the same masters. I am pretty confident that I could discern the differences blind, and I prefer the standard hi-res (high frequencies on MQA just sound flat).

mkawa

Forum Donor
i use fast hybrid. works well even when it needs to sync up with a tv/video game. quite musical as well.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I have to say the display is cool with the icon in the middle. The hi-rez icon it switches to is a nice touch. I do wish I could adjust text size but not a big issue.

M500 is back in my main room as music DAC. Benchmark DAC1 HDR has TV optical duty and preamp for music. Not ideal, but until M500 can do optical from TV, it's the next best thing.

Last edited:

ClosDeLaRoche

I had an SU-8 with the drop-out glitch with my Samsung TV. Worked fine when directly connected to my PS4. I also had an old HeadRoom DAC that did the same thing. Both have ESS chips, maybe that has something to do with it?

It's really too bad to hear that the M500 has the same annoying glitch. I'll stick with my Schiit Bifrost 4490 until I can afford the RME ADI 2 DAC. The Bifrost has never caused me any problems in the couple years I've owned it.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Has anyone had a chance to try the Denafrips Ares? They say its really nice for the price and components they've put in and how analogue it sounds...

Shoaibexpert

I have to say the display is cool with the icon in the middle. The hi-rez icon it switches to is a nice touch. I do wish I could adjust text size but not a big issue.

M500 is back in my main room as music DAC. Benchmark DAC1 has TV optical duty and preamp for music. Not ideal, but until M500 can do optical from TV, it the next best thing.
How does it stack up against the thousand dollar Benchmark DAC1?

Top Bottom