• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

Rockfella

Forum Donor

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, I'm not putting enjoyment above anything. I suppose I get a bit annoyed when people toss out somewhat provocative statements, like subjective reviews being 'criminal around here at ASR'...

I shouldn't have generalized quite so much.

I will say, often, people come here with a flawed belief system, and their uncontrolled subjective reviews of things with the intent to enlighten others may be perfectly well intentioned, but are hopelessly flawed with regard to having potentially transferable meaning.
I enjoy subjective reviews, or hearing about how much someone is enjoying their new (fill in the blank). The flawed part is when people think these uncontrolled subjective impressions have any value in anything but an anecdotal sense.

For some, that gap between what they've always believed and what can be actually demonstrated through decades of research leads to a new kind of peace and enjoyment, because we no longer have to worry about a whole bunch of stuff that might otherwise capture our attention.

I'm glad kilobuck cables, 5 figure DAC's, and all the rest of that nonsense is in the rearview mirror.

Nothing personal or offensive meant in any of that or in earlier responses, but 'criminal?' Really ;)

I would say, don't be surprised if you are challenged when expressing these views...that's part of what the site does... In effect, it challenges the entire industry...why should people who come here to post expect any different?

I try to keep at least a smirk on while here, rather than a sneer...sometimes they may be hard to tell apart.
Cheers.
Couldn't agree more on most of the arguments made....I also shouldn't have used 'criminal' out if context. I stand corrected! Cheers...

Shoaibexpert

Most people like AKM over ESS. NO clue how this is relevant. Thx for this one too Amir.
I always thought it was the other way around...ESS sells more I guess...other than the ESS Hump...which is fixed with the M500, it should be similar ( don't know if that mattered anyways). And yes, whatever chip is liked more...not sure if that's relevant here...as to sound differences, will need to hear an AKM based DAC yet to know for sure...

Kane1972

I lost respect for Meridian when they started pimping MQA. I do not want technology heavily tied up in patents, copyright, trade secrets, and undisclosed financial agreements in my audio chain:

https://boingboing.net/2018/12/20/taste-the-toxic-rainbow.html
Well, they did the same with MLP for DVD-A, and Dolby did the same with their noise reduction systems, Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Atmos etc and DTS with DTS as well as many other companies. Paying a licence to use someones codecs etc is not new or limited to Meridian and MQA.

Shoaibexpert

Well, they did the same with MLP for DVD-A, and Dolby did the same with their noise reduction systems, Dolby Digital (AC3), Dolby Atmos etc and DTS with DTS as well as many other companies. Paying a licence to use someones codecs etc is not new or limited to Meridian and MQA.
But isn't that their right...I mean if someone pioneered a new technology within the audio/video stream and there was a demand for it (some people like myself do enjoy MQA encoded streams more)...shouldnt they be paid for it's usage? I mean nothing is free anywhere...even Mp3s and lossless codecs used in oue streams...all are patented, copyrighted etc...like most other things in life...we are happy to pay the premium most of time without complains...but not MQA (not paid here my Meridian btw)

Kane1972

But isn't that their right...I mean if someone pioneered a new technology within the audio/video stream and there was a demand for it (some people like myself do enjoy MQA encoded streams more)...shouldnt they be paid for it's usage? I mean nothing is free anywhere...even Mp3s and lossless codecs used in oue streams...all are patented, copyrighted etc...like most other things in life...we are happy to pay the premium most of time without complains...but not MQA (not paid here my Meridian btw)

I totally agree with you, they should get paid.

I’m all for an open source world for sure but until that comes to be, Meridian are not doing anything wrong and I never suggested otherwise. The person I was responding to was the one complaining about losing respect for Meridian, I was defending them.

Goat

How would the SMSL M500 stack up against the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 or other units in its price range as a headphone user? I was so close to getting a Pro-Ject but this looks super neat. Thanks for the review and numbers as always amirm !!

Kane1972

While both should be audibly equal used as a DAC, The headamp of the Pre Box S2 Digital is extremely weak: only rated at 68mW under 32ohms. The M500 is almost ten times more powerful with the same impedance.

I’ve heard from one person that the parts (the passive parts as he described them) are much better in the Pro-Ject than in the Topping (I know we are discussing SMSL) but he was talking about the DX7s (not the Pro). I can’t confirm this but if true, may be the Pro-ject is better made and possible last longer? This is just conjecture though.

spaace

Very promising. I intend to buy this as a dac and preamp. 2 doubts

1. I saw it mentioned in the other post where Rick kindly compared sabaj, topping and smsl, that channel imbalance is not available for smsl. Is it confirmed to be not an issue ?
  2. Is the output wattage goood enough for room equalizers or is higher watt dacs like rme required ? ("room correction systems work by attenuating signals, a higher output voltage gives you more headroom for room correction systems to be used.")

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve heard from one person that the parts (the passive parts as he described them) are much better in the Pro-Ject than in the Topping (I know we are discussing SMSL) but he was talking about the DX7s (not the Pro). I can’t confirm this but if true, may be the Pro-ject is better made and possible last longer? This is just conjecture though.
So... You heard from one person that another brand use worse parts to design a specific model, and you can't confirm this... Uh... I don't even see how this can be conjectured to M500 here.;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How would the SMSL M500 stack up against the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 or other units in its price range as a headphone user?
I reviewed the S2 long time ago using my old measurement gear. So someone sent me another one to test with my new setup. So look to that to answer this question more quantitatively.

AlienSurfer

How would the SMSL M500 stack up against the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 or other units in its price range as a headphone user? I was so close to getting a Pro-Ject but this looks super neat. Thanks for the review and numbers as always amirm !!
I own the pre box and can confirm that the headphone amp is very weak. It's a good solid dac, but not a good all in one choice.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
About 0% relevant. ;)

Marketing tells people AKM sounds warmer/more analog, then people believe it as a fact.
I want to believe you :) but many users here also feel the same ... AKM more musical n stuff.

Last edited:

Charles0322

The MQA files I have heard on Tidal sound excellent without a decoder and def better than the standard hifi (CD quality tracks) keep in mind I use 6 15” drivers in my main system and play quite loud. It really made me want to buy a decoder. It totally makes sense that the
Core MQA on Tidal is doing most of the heavy lifting. Really looking forward to trying the DAC with MQA decoding and non MQA to hear differences.

Tizziano

@amirm when will the new revision of Project Pre box s2 be ready? This will help me choose between this and the M500, regards.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm when will the new revision of Project Pre box s2 be ready? This will help me choose between this and the M500, regards.
You should also go by specs. The S2 is a good DAC, but there is no way it comes close to the M500 regarding its performance (probably not an audible concern, BTW) as well as its headamp power (again: 68mW/32ohms which is quite weak).

WhiteCoatGeek

Questions for M500 owners-
1. Can it output both HP and Line out at the same time?
2. Are line outs fixed/variable/both?

Top Bottom