• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 DAC and HP Amp Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Can you test how this device handles transitions from MQA material to non-MQA and vice-versa? Specifically, do the filters change automatically between the MQA filter and whichever is the default or user-selected filter for non-MQA material, or does the MQA filter "take over" and continue to be used for other material? (Mytek had issues pointed out in several reviews, can't remember other specific makes/models off-hand.)
I can't do that without test content for MQA.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What about gapless playback, as that has been mentioned as an issue with some MQA-capable DACs, where identifying the type of material (MQA or not, and if it needs to change the filter accordingly) causes a delay that interferes with true gapless playback? An easy test of gapless playback would be to use an opera recording, since they typically have many tracks that are simply access points in a continuous music stream, unlike most pop/rock albums.
Can you search for the right content on Tidal for such and let me know the album?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can MQA be disabled altogether if the device doesn't handle filter changes easily/correctly without glitches or audible issues (pops, clicks, gaps introduced when the material should have gapless playback, etc.).
Sure, in Roon you can tell it to not send MQA bitstream to the DAC.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't do that without test content for MQA.
I'm not asking about comparisons of encoded material versus the original, I'm asking about how the device handles playback transitions from any MQA file to standard material (CD quality, non-MQA hi-res, or any other non-MQA files).

Thanks!

I'll try to find a suitable recording to suggest as far as operas or other material needing gapless playback, and I'll get back to you with that, thanks!

Jaseric29

I am going through that decision making process. Will report which way I go.

I am interested in this answer as well. Looking for an amp that uses the latest tech and a 9038 pro, and this one is in the running with the Topping DX7 Pro and the Sabaj D5. Amir, when you respond, can you give a break down on which amp you picked and why? I am really struggling to make a decision.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
Actually, when using M500 to decode MQA files through Roon, can Roon still do DSP with the files?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm not asking about comparisons of encoded material versus the original, I'm asking about how the device handles playback transitions from any MQA file to standard material (CD quality, non-MQA hi-res, or any other non-MQA files).
I know and that is what I can't do. My filter response tests use white noise as the test signal. Unless I have that in MQA as well, I can't see how it switches filter settings.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I don't get this "gapless playback" thing. Are we talking classical-like continuous pieces getting chopped up by momentary pauses as tracks transistion or are we talking about lockups while a D/A converter switches from one sample rate/MQA/DSD etc?

What's so wrong with a pause in between tracks or does it involve intervention to resume? As long as it doesn't involve clicks, pops or bursts of noise.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'll try to find a suitable recording to suggest as far as operas or other material needing gapless playback, and I'll get back to you with that, thanks!
I found one:
1572314089425.png

Will test with M500 when I am in my lab....

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
I am going through that decision making process. Will report which way I go.

I'm new here, so maybe the answer to this question is obvious: why would you go with a DAC / AMP instead of separate components, given the existence of the THX amps from Monoprice and Massdrop that test so highly? Especially since the DAC in this unit is so good, but the amp is not the best?

Hugo9000

I don't get this "gapless playback" thing. Are we talking classical-like continuous pieces getting chopped up by momentary pauses as tracks transistion or are we talking about lockups while a D/A converter switches from one sample rate/MQA/DSD etc?

What's so wrong with a pause in between tracks or does it involve intervention to resume? As long as it doesn't involve clicks and pops.

Continuous music, that has track points merely to direct playback to a specific point in the music. This is most common with classical, particularly operas. In an opera, the only moments of silence or proper "gaps" would be between acts and sometimes scenes. Typically, there will be continuous singing that has multiple track points. There shouldn't be a pause or gap or silence in the middle of the music in an opera. Some symphonies have one movement that continues unbroken into the next (Saint-Saëns' "organ" symphony, for example), as do some concerti (e.g. Rachmaninov's 3rd piano concerto, the transition from the second to the third movement). CDs typically define track points for these sections so that the listener can skip directly to a particular movement or aria if he/she chooses, but if one wants to listen to the entire work, there should be no audible break between such tracks, whether it's a pause or a click.

In popular music, there are some albums where there is no silence or gap between songs. The artists created some kind of transition or bridge between the songs so that one goes smoothly into the next. I can't think of an example off the top of my head. I think there is some Beatles album or perhaps Pink Floyd that requires gapless playback. Anyone who likes those would be driven mad by a gap in the playback lmao. If it's not intended by the artist, it shouldn't have a pause. Remember "indexing" on CDs and how early players could handle that? This is the same kind of thing. Index points shouldn't have gaps or pauses in the playback, unless it's in the TOC for the disc. Same with tracks.

Imagine some scoundrel (or a naughty child for those with children haha!) with a remote control pausing your music randomly for a half-second or so every few minutes while you try to listen and enjoy your music.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm new here, so maybe the answer to this question is obvious: why would you go with a DAC / AMP instead of separate components, given the existence of the THX amps from Monoprice and Massdrop that test so highly? Especially since the DAC in this unit is so good, but the amp is not the best?
I don't want clutter on my desk. I also like the digital display of volume on integrated units. I also value how they look on my desk.

rodtor

Forum Donor
Continuous music, that has track points merely to direct playback to a specific point in the music. This is most common with classical, particularly operas.

Yes, contemporary classical pieces also often are gapless, and the gaps certainly stand out when added by a streaming service. Idagio, which focusses exclusively on classical, nevertheless is not gapless. I very much appreciate their service for other reasons (above their metadata, but also the fact that it is lossless). But the absence of gapless is a drawback. I emailed them about this. They responded that they agreed this was a problem, and hoped to go gapless some time.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
There are loads of reasons why. Size, for starters. MQA. Once you get to a certain level of quality, the differences that differentiate the components are in the features and not necessarily sound quality. It is all personal need and preference. The beauty is that it is getting harder to go wrong here, thanks to this leap in technology and places like ASR.

I don't want clutter on my desk. I also like the digital display of volume on integrated units. I also value how they look on my desk.

Thanks, I get it - and I agree with both of you. I was just curious what your preferences were.

I get the feeling (a lot of it from the testing in this very forum) that headphone amps are getting so good for the price (the 887 Monolith, for example) that you would not want/need to settle anymore. This DAC, with MQA built in, is top notch, but you have to take the lesser amp with it. It feels like they need just one more iteration to improve the amp on this!

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What's so wrong with a pause in between tracks or does it involve intervention to resume? As long as it doesn't involve clicks, pops or bursts of noise.
There are many, many albums in which one track seamlessly transitions to the next. A trivial example is a "live" album, but a lot of modern music does this. In EDM this is the norm. A silent gap would not only be disruptive, the beginning of the next track is not designed to start from silence. So the whole effect of the music is ruined.

Top Bottom