• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

Maxon

6 filters of the AK4497 chip. The number on the chart corresponds to the filter number. I used zoom for clarity

Attachments

• 6 фильтров.png
    6 фильтров.png
    119.9 KB · Views: 213

Aardappel

Oh no, the issue is is that the Altera FPGA re-clocks the incoming signal into a super clean dejittered output, but the locking is often troublesome on jittery sources like (smart) TVs, chromecast etc. Since you can't play around with the lock/DPLL strength, if it doesn't work well there's nothing you can do, as opposed to SU-9 where it is configurable. There was never an audible issue, rest assured.
@A Surfer If I am not mistaken this phenomenon would just lead to a dropout in sound for one or two seconds, as was reported by multiple SU-8 users. In other words - you're watching a movie on Netflix using your awesome speakers and as the bandwidth changes you get several pauses in sound throughout the movie (unacceptable in my opinion).

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Oh no, the issue is is that the Altera FPGA re-clocks the incoming signal into a super clean dejittered output, but the locking is often troublesome on jittery sources like (smart) TVs, chromecast etc. Since you can't play around with the lock/DPLL strength, if it doesn't work well there's nothing you can do, as opposed to SU-9 where it is configurable. There was never an audible issue, rest assured.
Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

Senegalas

I had the Topping D50s but decided to sell that with the P50 power supply because I wasn't happy with the A50 headphone amp and wanted a matching stack. I've only spent about £20/30 for the whole replacement so it was worth it.

They sound awesome. Or I should say the music sounds awesome and I can't hear either the amp or the DAC. More volume just gives louder music and no colouration. I absolutely love them. I got a big improvement with the XLRs over RCAs and I'm waiting for the 4 pin XLR cable to finish it off. I'll be drawing a line under my headphone purchases now but will try to put a bit of cash aside each month for a Christmas headphone present to myself : )

I personally think they look awful but it's been good for me to put that out of my mind and concentrate on the sound only. The appearance is growing on me but I'll never get over the slant and I can't understand why they don't match at all! Still awesome sounding gear though.
Does M200 beat D50S?

tp76

I tried several times: turn off the DAC with the remote and replay the music, everything works fine, no problem.

Does not correspond to the problem I have occasionally, i.e. when I lose the connection, for example I go outside to do my grocery shopping, I come back and the connection is made but no sound, I do not that unlink it and reconnect and everything works.

Hi ModDIY,

Do you still have this issue with your M200, or did you find something that solved this ?

I installed mine yesterday and already stumbled on the same issue today: it was paired with my phone (Huawei mate 20pro), I could see the resolution change from 48 to 96kHz on DAC's display (playing LDAC from the phone), but, alas, no sound. Resolution on DAC's display would go back and forth from 96 to 48kHz when stopping and starting again music on the phone, without any sound played. Powering the DAC off (from the power socket) did not help, I had to dissociate/reassociate from my phone in order to get the sound back between my phone and the M200.

Revision of M200 as shown in XMOS control panel is v1.04.

The M200 is hooked into a SA300, which I've been using without any failure for more than a month now. Bluetooth on the SA300 never raised any issue, but sound quality over bluetooth is way better with the M200 !!
When in the "no sound" situation with the M200, I reconnected to the SA300 and sound played without issue. Switched to USB on the M200, sound played correctly from my computer.
I used some bluetooth active speakers for a few months before moving to SA300+passive speakers, and, also, never experienced this "connected but no sound" issue before moving to M200.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi tp76,

In the meantime, I have changed my cell phone. I had an LG G5 and now I have a Samsung S10.

I could not these problems, is it due to the Android version, I could not say.

I am extremely happy with my M200, I have changed amplification several times since last year, and the upgrades have always been noticeable. I do not regret. Also the XLR output is a big plus.

tp76

Hi ModDYI,

Does it mean that you do not have this problem anymore with your Samsung phone?

ModDIY

Yes

Edit: It can happen once a month that a problem occurs. But I'm not sure it's the DAC, I had to restart my cell, I deduce that it's on the Android side that you have to watch and / or the streaming application

Last edited:

Dannemand

@lizhuoyin recently prompted me to test HiBy Music player as an alternative to UAPP (which I otherwise use for everything).

I noticed that the HiBy player implements its own UAT encoder for Bluetooth playback, which I found interesting. Newer Android versions may have UAT baked in, but not my old LG V30.

If I still had my M200 and still used BT I would definitely give that a try, since it is one of the few DACs to support UAT.

Just thought I'd mention it in here. M200 is a nice DAC with a lot of features for its price.

tp76

An update about the no sound issues with the M200 over Bluetooth: it's been a constant failure from the beginning, and I returned the device.
In between I ordered an SU-9, which is working totally fine as expected, not showing the odd issue of this M200.

I'm using this SU-9 the very same way as the M200, LDAC pushed from my phone (plus USB connection from computer).
This should prove that the issue is on M200's side, and is not caused by the phone.

A comment posted recently on Amazon.fr shows the same faulty Bluetooth behavior. It looks like it was posted by someone who bought it around the same period as I did. 2 faulty devices from the same batch ?
(In my use case the extra 130€ needed for this SU-9 are not really worth it - MQA not needed, M200 sound quality was already great, this cash would be used only to fix what looks like a broken functionnality).

@SMSL-Mandy , @SMSL_Liu, any comment on this ?

ModDIY

It is sorry for you. I imagine it may be a defective lot. With mine, it works every day without any problems. At first I had some problems with an LG G5. Now it's a Samsung S10. In your case, the problem does not appear to be cellular. Ldac is easily compatible from Android 8 I believe. Yes the M200 is really musical.

0hm357aW

It is sorry for you. I imagine it may be a defective lot. With mine, it works every day without any problems. At first I had some problems with an LG G5. Now it's a Samsung S10. In your case, the problem does not appear to be cellular. Ldac is easily compatible from Android 8 I believe. Yes the M200 is really musical.[/QUOTE
It is sorry for you. I imagine it may be a defective lot. With mine, it works every day without any problems. At first I had some problems with an LG G5. Now it's a Samsung S10. In your case, the problem does not appear to be cellular. Ldac is easily compatible from Android 8 I believe. Yes the M200 is really musical.

Firmware correctable?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I'm still using my M200 exclusively with Bluetooth streaming from my LG G8 and never an issue, same with when I used my G7. It does indeed sound like a defective unit or some kind of incompatibility.

revbass

Just got my M200 and I have a bit of a weird question. Should the knob control volume? Both the up and down on the remote and the knob don't let me adjust the volume. Is there something I have to do in the menu or is my unit faulty?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got my M200 and I have a bit of a weird question. Should the knob control volume? Both the up and down on the remote and the knob don't let me adjust the volume. Is there something I have to do in the menu or is my unit faulty?

Not sure, but does the M200 have a DAC mode?
Means it gives you the full volume and you can't attenuate it unless you go into a "pre"(amp) mode.

Bottom line: just read the manual instructions.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company

simplywyn

Yes, The comparison between M200 and M400 is not only the ak4497 to Ak4499 on the chip, but also the design and functional upgrade of the entire decoder. The power supply is also better. https://hifi-express.com/products/smsl-m400-mqa-ak4499-dac-pre-order-discount
Can get it from here and Shipment from multiple warehouses around the world.

Thanks for your reply, but I'd like someone NOT the manufacture to tell me to spend my money for their profit :D

M400 or Loxjie d50?

Last edited:
Top Bottom