• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M400 & M200 new dacs!

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Curious to know if you've tried connecting to your computer via Bluetooth? Does it work? I tried for fun connecting my DAP to my Mac via Bluetooth but there's no sound when playing music. Works fine with my phone tho.

I don't have a Bluetooth transmitter on my PC. By cons I have another cell that I could try. Yes it's strange that it doesn't work with your Mac.

Any plans on measuring M200 for us, poor audiophiles?

Yes we wait, even if I expect excellent measures, I'm curious!

Abodh

Yes we wait, even if I expect excellent measures, I'm curious!

How do you think M200 stacks up to current competition? Any wild guess from your listening time so far?
I hope it comes close or exceeds M500...

ModDIY

Hello Abodh, do you own the M500?

M500 looks good DAC with ES9038PRO chips.

Abodh

Hello Abodh, do you own the M500?

Hey ModDIY,
No I don't own M500, But out of curiosity I had bought both M200 and M500 for A/B testing myself to see how much difference these newer DACs really make, audibly. I did not give it enough listening time and returned M500 few days later. I kept M200.
I guess comparing DACs audibly is beyond my capabilities. I am just gona be lazy and rely on reviews and measurements lol..

ModDIY

I did not listen to the M500, so I can discuss the M200 only. I had 8-9 different dacs. Several with AKM chips and others with known chips. As is often mentioned here, it's not just the chips that give the final performance. Yes, the measures speak volumes about the quality of DAC implementation.

The M200 is in my opinion a success as much in terms of price quality as musically. There are probably better, but at what price.

I listen to a lot of music, mainly classical and jazz. The M200 offers an excellent performance in terms of instrument timbres, precision, soundstage, dynamics and very low background noise.

hyperknot

I did not listen to the M500, so I can discuss the M200 only. I had 8-9 different dacs. Several with AKM chips and others with known chips. As is often mentioned here, it's not just the chips that give the final performance. Yes, the measures speak volumes about the quality of DAC implementation.

The M200 is in my opinion a success as much in terms of price quality as musically. There are probably better, but at what price.

I listen to a lot of music, mainly classical and jazz. The M200 offers an excellent performance in terms of instrument timbres, precision, soundstage, dynamics and very low background noise.

ModDIY, thanks for the report! One question: is it possible to use the knob as a volume control? I want to go fully balanced and a good balanced volume control costs as much as a DAC, so I'm trying to find a DAC which has a nice "knob" for volume. Also, how many steps does it have?

ModDIY

Yes without any problem.

The volume control is of encoder type, like almost all audio devices today with remote control. If I'm not mistaken, there are 40 steps.

One of the complaints about this volume control, it gives the impression of being a bit light physically, seems made of plastic.

But it works precisely, and the musicality of this DAC makes us forget this point. Do not be distracted by this point. I hope SMSL will heed these comments and improve their products in the future for a superior user experience.

But for now it's an excellent DAC that I highly recommend !!

snakama

I just received the m200, and I've looked at the manual but I can't seem to locate what the dF1 and dF2 settings do? Also the dP0 and dP1 settings?

ModDIY

I don't know, it concerns the adjustment for streaming with DSD files. Someone else can answer you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-06-07-21-45.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-06-07-21-45.png
    323 KB · Views: 191

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Why would you not simply leave the DAC at full volume and attenuate with the amplifiers volume control? I ask as I am considering replacing my SU-8 V2 with the M200 for Bluetooth connectivity and I simply run the DAC into my amp via the XLR. So when would I need or want to adjust the volume with the DAC?

hyperknot

Why would you not simply leave the DAC at full volume and attenuate with the amplifiers volume control? I ask as I am considering replacing my SU-8 V2 with the M200 for Bluetooth connectivity and I simply run the DAC into my amp via the XLR. So when would I need or want to adjust the volume with the DAC?

Because a high quality balanced volume control costs as much as a DAC!

And power amps like Hypex or Purifi doesn't have volume controls.

Last edited:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Because a high quality balanced volume control costs as much as a DAC!

And power amps like hypex or Purifi doesn't have volume controls.
Makes sense. My amp is an integrated so I don't have that issue but I can see how it would be an issue if you don't have a pre-amp.

Magnifico

Outch! "get the E30" is said much too many times.
I´ve said it many times....those two new dacs are too pricy for what you get.

Magnifico

that´s what he says too....but others are better price to performance it seems.

When it comes to sound "Z" is not the ultimate instance to me though.
Entertainment in his reviews is more likely than detailed descibtions of the sound of a device.

But then again....in this regards he repeats to choose the "Topping E30" rather than this.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
The price of the M200 for the features and sound quality is pretty solid in my opinion. I just ordered one myself. Great specifications, balanced out, solid Bluetooth, remote control, good build quality. All of that for me equals full value for the money spent, your results may vary. You really can't declare the E30 as a better buy as it doesn't even have Bluetooth, big hole in connectivity there, and it is nice to have the extra voltage output from balanced so considering those additions, I can't imagine how the E30 is a better value.

Last edited:

ModDIY

Completely agree. I chose it for its connectivity and also LDAC which is very important to me.

Top Bottom