• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

dumpingg

When you power up the do100 it goes back to the state it was when you powered down it (on or off)
You can't set a maximum volume.
thank you. on the question of power up and down. If the DO100 is plugged into a power control center will the DAC power up when the power center powers up the outlet the DAC is plugged into? Or do you have to manually press the control knob or hit the power button on the remote?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have a question about how the pre-amp volume control function on the DO100 works during power up and power down. Does the volume control remember the last setting and power up to that setting? Can you set a max volume or power up volume in the settings menu? Does the DO100 power on when power is applied to the power cord? Or do you have to hit a power on button?

I am thinking of using this DAC in an active cross over setup and once I level calibarate my tweeter and woofer path I don't want the volume to change on a power cycle.

volumio raspberry PI streamer (volume control) -> USB SPDIF Converter -> nanodigi DSP -> DO100 DAC -> Power Amplifier -> Speaker tweeters (left and right)
(the woofers have a similar audio path separately)
So you're thinking of using two different DACs for low's and high's?

Repdetect

Forum Donor
Confused. Help!
Why when playing a 96kHz · 24bit file from my oppo optical output into the smsl do 100 the display screen always shows 48.
Oppo is set for 192 kHz. Same happens when oppo is set for 96kHz. I don't understand.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Confused. Help!
Why when playing a 96kHz · 24bit file from my oppo optical output into the smsl do 100 the display screen always shows 48.
Oppo is set for 192 kHz. Same happens when oppo is set for 96kHz. I don't understand.
What Oppo is it?

Joffy1780

Looking at the manual for UDP-205 it states it doesn't output any HiRes formats via optical, downsampling to a 'lower quality' which will be 48k.
Only outputs HiRes via its own analogue outputs (plus, I assume, over HDMI.)

Repdetect

Forum Donor

Repdetect

Forum Donor
Looking at the manual for UDP-205 it states it doesn't output any HiRes formats via optical, downsampling to a 'lower quality' which will be 48k.
Only outputs HiRes via its own analogue outputs (plus, I assume, over HDMI.)
Thanks much, I'll have to reread the manual, which I haven't done in 10+ years. Mine's a 103, but 205 comments likely apply.

Joffy1780

Thanks much, I'll have to reread the manual, which I haven't done in 10+ years. Mine's a 103, but 205 comments likely apply.
Yeah probably. Not great news, sorry.

Joffy1780

It is the same situation with the 103 I'm afraid.

dumpingg

So you're thinking of using two different DACs for low's and high's?
I am thinking of moving to new power amps in my setup that have XLR inputs. My current DAC's are unbalanced RCA. Hence my questions about the DO100 and how it behaves on power up power down and volume adjustment. I want to make sure once I have the active crossover volume levels calibrated that things stay correct between power up/down cycles. The minidsp nanodigi has SPDIF outputs so I need DAC's to connect to the power amps prior to the tweeter/woofer speaker connections.

You can read about my setup here:
Magnepan 1.6 and Nanodigi active crossover

Sokel

Master Contributor
I am thinking of moving to new power amps in my setup that have XLR inputs. My current DAC's are unbalanced RCA. Hence my questions about the DO100 and how it behaves on power up power down and volume adjustment. I want to make sure once I have the active crossover volume levels calibrated that things stay correct between power up/down cycles. The minidsp nanodigi has SPDIF outputs so I need DAC's to connect to the power amps prior to the tweeter/woofer speaker connections.

You can read about my setup here:
Magnepan 1.6 and Nanodigi active crossover
Seems complicated but sane.
I have the same concern too,all digital volume control has shown signs of amnesia too often so a limit is an absolute need.
I have stayed analog for the same reason more or less for my active system.
I'll be watcing with interest!

Joffy1780

I have a question about how the pre-amp volume control function on the DO100 works during power up and power down. Does the volume control remember the last setting and power up to that setting? Can you set a max volume or power up volume in the settings menu? Does the DO100 power on when power is applied to the power cord? Or do you have to hit a power on button?

I am thinking of using this DAC in an active cross over setup and once I level calibarate my tweeter and woofer path I don't want the volume to change on a power cycle.

volumio raspberry PI streamer (volume control) -> USB SPDIF Converter -> nanodigi DSP -> DO100 DAC -> Power Amplifier -> Speaker tweeters (left and right)
(the woofers have a similar audio path separately)
It remembers last volume level, cannot be programmed with a power on volume level and does require you to hit a power on button.

Bleib

Major Contributor
It remembers last volume level, cannot be programmed with a power on volume level and does require you to hit a power on button.
Yup, never seen it change the values.

dumpingg

Joffy1780, the need for a user to hit the power on button everytime is a deal killer for my setup. The DAC must powerup when my power control strip powers up the outlet or I need to look at another DAC, may be like the topping e70 that has a trigger in/out built into it.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Joffy1780, the need for a user to hit the power on button everytime is a deal killer for my setup. The DAC must powerup when my power control strip powers up the outlet or I need to look at another DAC, may be like the topping e70 that has a trigger in/out built into it.
You need a separate computer system just to manage your equipment.

Joffy1780

I'm fairly sure you still need to power it on with the remote or the volume knob, but I will confirm when I get home later.

Joffy1780

Good news!! Just checked and it does actually power on without the need to hit the power on button and it remembers input and volume level.

Joffy1780

Unplug it for a month.
Hahaha I was going to suggest overnight, but my neighbours would like your idea better, I bet!!

Top Bottom