• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

mitasr

I just got this DAC and the SMSL A300. How do you recommend the use of volume controls on the DO100 and the A300? Should I turn the volume of the DAC to max and play with the one of the amplifier?

Harryharryharry

Does anyone know the remote IR profile number so I can use a Amazon Fire TV remote to do the volume?

mitasr

How about the “Fixed volume output” on the Wiim Mini, do you guys enable it ?

yann77123

Hello everyone.
can you connect an amp with XLR and a subwoofer on RCA at the same time?
I hope the google translation is correct :)

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello everyone.
can you connect an amp with XLR and a subwoofer on RCA at the same time?
I hope the google translation is correct :)
Yes. I have my amp connected via RCA and sub connected via XLR. Both outputs run all the time.

Just an FYI. The DO100 unlike some other similar DAC's does not have DAC and PRE mode. It only has PRE mode which means you have to increase the volume to 99 (Max) in order to maximize the output voltage. A DAC that is configured in DAC mode will automatically set the voltage to the maximum voltage out of its' design.

So this DAC wouldn't be good if I plan to use it with Powered Studio Monitor and control the Volume via knob?

Last edited:

mitasr

Just an FYI. The DO100 unlike some other similar DAC's does not have DAC and PRE mode. It only has PRE mode which means you have to increase the volume to 99 (Max) in order to maximize the output voltage. A DAC that is configured in DAC mode will automatically set the voltage to the maximum voltage out of its' design.

Typical RCA out maximum voltage on a DAC is 2V. Balanced TRS or XLR typical maximum voltage is 4V.

My DO100 volume is always set to 99 and volume controlled through whatever amp it's connected to. (Unless it is a power amp without a volume control. In that case, the digital volume control of the DAC is used.)
I connect my Wiim Mini to the DO100, shall I enable the “Fixed Volume Output” on the Wiim (volume max at 100)? and the volume of the DAC at 99 too?

Joffy1780

So this DAC wouldn't be good if I plan to use it with Powered Studio Monitor and control the Volume via knob?
It will be perfectly fine to use with powered monitors. Which volume knob do you mean? If you want to control the volume with the knob on the monitors, you would just leave the DAC at full volume output. If you wish to use the knob on the DAC to control volume, you would just leave the gain on the monitors at a given level and adjust the volume with the DAC.
I'd go with the former, assuming it is easy enough to adjust the volume on your monitors.

Joffy1780

I connect my Wiim Mini to the DO100, shall I enable the “Fixed Volume Output” on the Wiim (volume max at 100)? and the volume of the DAC at 99 too?
If you're connecting it to a pre-amp or integrated amp, yes. If connecting to a power amp (or power amp input on an integrated amp) you would then use the volume control on the DAC.

Does the RCA also output signal at the same time as the XLR? Meaning I can easily add a subwoofer to my powered Studio monitors?

Joffy1780

renpar61

Vinyl lover new to the forum here, and fairly new to DAC world.
I purchased the DO100 a few months ago based on reviews here (thanks!) taking advantage of an Amazon sale.
So far so good, loving the DAC. I have 2 questions:

1. I purchased a 10' long, good quality USB cable to connect my iPad and control the music from my listening position. Everything works fine, but I feel the shorter (possibly cheaper) cable that came with the unit is just a touch clearer. Can the length of the cable affect the sound? Am I just imagining it?

2. Since we all know that sooner or later it will be time for an upgrade ;) where do I go from here? I'm quite confused by all the different models from SMSL or Topping. I use only USB input with the DAC connected to a tube integrated amp via XLR. Don't need headphone amp. Source is Apple Music (tried Qobuz but there wasn't much difference). Should I look at higher priced ($400-500 max) models to get better sound performance? SMSL D300 for example? Would I hear the difference?

Thanks in advance

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can the length of the cable affect the sound?
Yes. Doesn't mean it does in this case.
Am I just imagining it?
Possibly. Only measurements would tell.
where do I go from here?
Nowhere. The DO100 is fully transparent. Any money spent on even better measurements is a complete waste of money.
Should I look at higher priced ($400-500 max) models to get better sound performance? SMSL D300 for example? Would I hear the difference?
No. They sound identical. Spend that money on room treatment, room EQ, or better speakers or something.

Edit: If for some reason you doubt your 10' cable's quality, look for Delock 84898. It's double-shielded, with ferrite core. Doesn't get any better. Costs 3,50€ in Germany.

Last edited:

renpar61

I have been trying to get rid of a constant buzz/hum from my speakers that I noticed a few days ago, on every input. My suspects are on the tube amp. After long investigation swapping tubes, swapping and/or moving cables, and any other procedure you follow in these situations, I still think the amp is the culprit, but I could definitely isolate part of the problem with the DAC: when I disconnect either power cord or XLR (I tried with RCA, same result) the buzz decreases by at least 80%.
I am absolutely sure it was dead quiet before on the DAC input, as I had a slightly different buzz in the past only on phono input which was caused by a partially broken ground wire, then fixed. This time is different, lower frequency and constant on all inputs and at all volume levels.
Any ideas or workarounds?

mrmojo

There are a number of reviews on amazon complaining about the sound quality. Curious what the general consensus is - don't really understand how the DAC gets a good review here, but some meh reviews on amazon.

staticV3

Master Contributor
There are a number of reviews on amazon complaining about the sound quality. Curious what the general consensus is - don't really understand how the DAC gets a good review here, but some meh reviews on amazon.
Placebo.
Amir uses lab equipment to assess sound quality, Amazon reviewers use human perception, which is laughably unreliable.

Top Bottom