• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

Toku

Major Contributor
Have you people seen the SMSL AO200? I don't know if it's fake or something. It doesn't appear on SMSL website and there is nothing to be found on Google.

The chassis has screws on the front and it's not as sleek as the DA-9, it also costs a little bit more. Could it be revision to the DA-9? Here is a link to the product from Aliexpress:

Aliexpress SMSL AO200 Amplifier
As you may know, SMSL DA-9 is a product planned and sold by Shenzhen Audio, and SMSL is in charge of manufacturing.
Similarly, the AO200 may be a product planned by Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store and DILVSHI HiFi Store in collaboration with SMSL.
Both Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store and DILVSHI HiFi Store are well-known retailers and authorized distributors of each company.
It is not possible to judge whether it is genuine or fake now.

https://ja.aliexpress.com/item/1005002758510687.html?spm
https://ja.aliexpress.com/item/1005002758569433.html?spm

Gurra1980

I received my smsl fa-9 yesterday, and it was extremely nice, as said before, the soundstage was huge! I have a Vincent sv-237 that I compared to, and my findings are, from about two hours listening, that it's smoother, more relaxed sounding with slightly bigger stage, but a little more diffuse, almost like a tube amp. What I like more about the Vincent is the body and slam of the sound, the smsl is not as physical in its presentation. It feels like I just wants to turn up the volume. Btw it's a lot better at high volumes where I can listen to the Vincent on pretty low volume. Take my comment with a grain of salt, just my two cents from my first listen. My gut feeling is that I want to listen to music with the smsl rather than my Vincent, but that might change over time. Btw the fit and finish is top notch for the money!

Gurra1980

Btw, they gave extra rubber feet since people complained about the SMSL DA9 having tri-feet. I placed two at the back to make it sturdier.
Yes I could not make it stay flat, the cables made it lean on one corner, looked like shit, fortunately the extra feets solved the problem.

jokan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I received my smsl fa-9 yesterday, and it was extremely nice, as said before, the soundstage was huge! I have a Vincent sv-237 that I compared to, and my findings are, from about two hours listening, that it's smoother, more relaxed sounding with slightly bigger stage, but a little more diffuse, almost like a tube amp. What I like more about the Vincent is the body and slam of the sound, the smsl is not as physical in its presentation. It feels like I just wants to turn up the volume. Btw it's a lot better at high volumes where I can listen to the Vincent on pretty low volume. Take my comment with a grain of salt, just my two cents from my first listen. My gut feeling is that I want to listen to music with the smsl rather than my Vincent, but that might change over time. Btw the fit and finish is top notch for the money!

There's a few units that are floating out there including my own that had a lazy worker doing the final assembly, or untrained employee learning how to assemble some of the units it seems, I'm glad you got yours and are enjoying the way it sounds. Your new amp will continue to improve for a week though much of the improvement is done already. All the capacitors and resistors (the passive parts and copper traces) take a bit of time before they fully finish the "aging process". Your opinion is much aligned with my own coming from a variety of types of amplifiers. My DA-9 may permanently replace one of my tube amplifiers. Possibly if I can figure out a place for everything as I would never part with the tube amp I spent far too much modifying to get it to sound "right" with the right tubes/valves. Literally nothing other than the internal PCB is original on that amp, the other tube amp I have has all of my "learning how tube amps work" hours and parts involved plus 3 or 4 electric shocks of over 450VAC left over in the capacitors that I neglected to discharge before doing some modification work. The DA-9 isn't the same as the tube amps in the way that they make sound at the same listening level, the tube will always with me as I prefer the sound of the amps I modified or built over amplifiers off the shelf. The DA-9 is a little bit special with the double Infineon/Merius chips. Thankfully to my ears, it is not overly analytical, or grainy. It's got none of the harsh, jagged edges of other class-D amplifiers that I've owned so far. Then there's the price, it's simply too cheap. Perhaps that is why the build quality is a little haphazard. Fortunately it was easily repaired and put right and cost me nothing as I had new, unopened thermal grease. You can scroll towards the beginning of the thread for my findings. Now SMSL, slow down and get your QC under control, and introduce firmware updates!

Notbn

Have you people seen the SMSL AO200? I don't know if it's fake or something. It doesn't appear on SMSL website and there is nothing to be found on Google.

The chassis has screws on the front and it's not as sleek as the DA-9, it also costs a little bit more. Could it be revision to the DA-9? Here is a link to the product from Aliexpress:

Aliexpress SMSL AO200 Amplifier

Dual Sub out and USB A in? Interesting choice if it is in fact real.

Also it almost looks like it says AD200 not AO200. SMSL does have an AD18 amp..... very interesting.

jokan

Dual Sub out and USB A in? Interesting choice if it is in fact real.

Also it almost looks like it says AD200 not AO200. SMSL does have an AD18 amp..... very interesting.

It uses the same power supply, the same chipset as the DA-9, only USB A input which is unconventional to say the least likely due to space constraints, and dual sub outs. It may or may not have improved firmware over the DA-9. The guts of the amp are identical to the DA-9. Though I've not checked if the low pass on the sub outs had any internal crossover myself with the DA-9. 200Hz may as well be a no crossover output as that frequency is far too high for a subwoofer, most people wind up with full range bookshelf speakers that play somewhere below 60hz, and 50-55hz would be a fairly standard blending frequency, not counting any strange frequency nodes.

Gurra1980

There's a few units that are floating out there including my own that had a lazy worker doing the final assembly, or untrained employee learning how to assemble some of the units it seems, I'm glad you got yours and are enjoying the way it sounds. Your new amp will continue to improve for a week though much of the improvement is done already. All the capacitors and resistors (the passive parts and copper traces) take a bit of time before they fully finish the "aging process". Your opinion is much aligned with my own coming from a variety of types of amplifiers. My DA-9 may permanently replace one of my tube amplifiers. Possibly if I can figure out a place for everything as I would never part with the tube amp I spent far too much modifying to get it to sound "right" with the right tubes/valves. Literally nothing other than the internal PCB is original on that amp, the other tube amp I have has all of my "learning how tube amps work" hours and parts involved plus 3 or 4 electric shocks of over 450VAC left over in the capacitors that I neglected to discharge before doing some modification work. The DA-9 isn't the same as the tube amps in the way that they make sound at the same listening level, the tube will always with me as I prefer the sound of the amps I modified or built over amplifiers off the shelf. The DA-9 is a little bit special with the double Infineon/Merius chips. Thankfully to my ears, it is not overly analytical, or grainy. It's got none of the harsh, jagged edges of other class-D amplifiers that I've owned so far. Then there's the price, it's simply too cheap. Perhaps that is why the build quality is a little haphazard. Fortunately it was easily repaired and put right and cost me nothing as I had new, unopened thermal grease. You can scroll towards the beginning of the thread for my findings. Now SMSL, slow down and get your QC under control, and introduce firmware updates!

Exited to see if it changes over time or if my ears gets accustomed to it more. It is absolutely not grainy or edgy, it's very smooth and inviting. Btw it's dead silent on my 91db speakers.

jokan

Exited to see if it changes over time or if my ears gets accustomed to it more. It is absolutely not grainy or edgy, it's very smooth and inviting. Btw it's dead silent on my 91db speakers.

Mine is dead silent with a 2.7ohm load, and tweeters that are 91db/watt efficient. Though I had to do some minor surgery to fix what the smsl assembly line left unfinished! I don't mind that I encountered issues with mine, I didn't expect perfection on the initial launch anyway! And like you, I have absolutely zero complaints about sound quality or noise. SMSL has a Quality Control issue that is becoming pretty obvious with the amount of new models they are releasing. I think their strategy is to build as many different units and see which ones become hits and stop production on units that don't sell. It's not the most logical thing to do, they could instead up the quality of the chassis and quality of the on-board Power Supply Unit instead of the mentality "if you build it, they will come". I'm hoping for any firmware update sooner rather than later.
I'm more than happy with my DA-9 as far as power output, sound quality, the soundstage it manages to create. It's hard to beat at anything short of $1k with a "known brand-name" amplifier. I've not turned mine off for weeks now. Mine running a 2.7ohm load is cooler than the MDF rack and Acrylic rack it sits on. In fact the RME ADI 2 DAC fs runs much warmer than the DA-9 ever does. Both of which never get turned off. I am hard on my class-D equipment and DAC's. Eventually I'll have to re-cap the RME which isn't a hard job to do and I don't mind when the time comes for me to do so. Even though by then a better version would be released and I would upgrade anyway.

The question becomes what to do with all of these old class-D amplifiers that have little to no value now! The DA-8s was super cheap to begin with and I can only sell it for about $40 here in Japan to an electronics recycling shop that buys and sells used hi-fi gear. I've got so many class-D amps it's filling my closet!

Toku

Major Contributor
I investigated the SMSL AO200.

As a result of inquiring directly to the Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store on Amazon.jp, the AO200 was a genuine SMSL product.
The Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store will also sell from Amazon.jp in the future.
The SMSL DA-9 is a proprietary product planned by Shinsen Audio and could not be sold at the Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store or DILVSHI HiFi Store, so I imagine that the AO200 was born as a derivative model of it.

However, I feel a little confused, such as two types of panels appearing in the product description photos.

Last edited:

adamjohari

How important is running this thing in balanced? I have a Topping D10s which only has unbalanced RCA outputs. Of course I could get a Schiit Modius, Gishelli J2, or something higher-end, SMSL-SU9, Topping D30pro, SMSL-SU8s and get one of those One Little Bear modules to split XLR outputs.

jokan

I investigated the SMSL AO200.

As a result of inquiring directly to the Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store on Amazon.jp, the AO200 was a genuine SMSL product.
The Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store will also sell from Amazon.jp in the future.
The SMSL DA-9 is a proprietary product planned by Shinsen Audio and could not be sold at the Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store or DILVSHI HiFi Store, so I imagine that the AO200 was born as a derivative model of it.

However, I feel a little confused, such as two types of panels appearing in the product description photos.

It is more than likely a direct copy circuit wise, they moved some sockets here and there and the screen location so they can call it their own version, even the PSU is the same. The 2mm Hex screws holding down the Infineon/Eximo Merus chip are the exact same as the ones in my DA-9. It's easy to add an additional subwoofer out as you know, and that style USB cable is going to be hard to find an audiophile grade cable. And I personally can hear a difference in USB cables, It's a preference, I'm sure they measure and do the same job electrically but they do sound different in my own experience, that's why have many, many USB 2.0 cables. I also have an audio use USB 3.0 to B cable. And it sounds incredible over a standard cable.

This Aoshida-HIFI Audio company annoys me by trying to use a Japanese sounding name for their brand. To me I don't understand the reasoning. Be proud of your heritage, right? Why make a Japanese sounding name? Some aftermarket modified car parts companies started doing this to gain immediate credibility until the got found out. It's sad to me to see that happening. Yes, I am Japanese, but I am a Subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, in other words I hold dual citizenship. Also funny and sad to me is that these two island nations went on a killing rampage for an extremely long time. It's insanity.

Back to the Amp, They visibly have changed the case, I'm not certain what else they changed architecture wise. I'm fairly certain it's just the additional RCA for another Powered subwoofer and they had to change the USB socket to fit within a pre-existing chassis design. The output power is the same as you would expect from the same PSU and chipsets. I am curious about the firmware, if the Aoshida amp is somehow different or easier to use, or maybe they'll let me turn the LCD screen off all the way like I would like to be able to do!

Either way, I'm fairly certain you will enjoy the sound and hopefully you can find a high quality USB cable. By you, I am referring to any potential buyers and not anybody specific.

I will admit that I have always enjoyed a contrasting hex screw on the front face of an amplifier very visually appealing. I used to do that to all of my Class D amplifiers. Silver/Black in any combination always looks good to me.

I welcome all new amplifiers that create a buzz in the audio industry. Some if not many of the "go-to Name Brand recognition" companies are now no longer european owned, or japanese owned for that matter. It's time for new blood that is creative and wants to make phenomal products like DENAFRIPS, phenomenal build and sound quality to match with not necessarily innovative circuit design, but they are one of the few who make amps and dacs the way that they do.

jokan

How important is running this thing in balanced? I have a Topping D10s which only has unbalanced RCA outputs. Of course I could get a Schiit Modius, Gishelli J2, or something higher-end, SMSL-SU9, Topping D30pro, SMSL-SU8s and get one of those One Little Bear modules to split XLR outputs.

With DAC's in general, the newer, the better provided you do your research. One year is a huge difference. Even with an older chip, if implemented extremely well by running several of the same DAC chipsets you can lower the ESR which makes big changes to the way the rest of your system sounds. Always remember that your system is only as good as it's weakest link. The DAC is the heart and centre of all audio signals that become amplified. Chose wisely friend. You should should do as much research and save up as much money for as long as you can to buy the one you think will suit you the best. I strongly advise you start looking at the $400 and above at a bare minimum to get the best out of any amplifier connected by XLR preferably, but RCA will do in a pinch. And some prefer the sound of the RCA inputs, that's a preference thing to which there is no right or wrong.

Happy listening! Save and get the best DAC you can afford, watch as many reviews from multiple reviewers. Don't just follow one youtuber, some of them are obviously paid or possibly employees of a certain brand. You will see a pattern begin to emerge with the youtubers!

Happy hunting as well!

adamjohari

With DAC's in general, the newer, the better provided you do your research. One year is a huge difference. Even with an older chip, if implemented extremely well by running several of the same DAC chipsets you can lower the ESR which makes big changes to the way the rest of your system sounds. Always remember that your system is only as good as it's weakest link. The DAC is the heart and centre of all audio signals that become amplified. Chose wisely friend. You should should do as much research and save up as much money for as long as you can to buy the one you think will suit you the best. I strongly advise you start looking at the $400 and above at a bare minimum to get the best out of any amplifier connected by XLR preferably, but RCA will do in a pinch. And some prefer the sound of the RCA inputs, that's a preference thing to which there is no right or wrong.

Happy listening! Save and get the best DAC you can afford, watch as many reviews from multiple reviewers. Don't just follow one youtuber, some of them are obviously paid or possibly employees of a certain brand. You will see a pattern begin to emerge with the youtubers!

Happy hunting as well!
Space is important for my desk. Haha. Maybe I'll wait for the Topping DX7Pro upgrade in the future. Can save space. When that time comes I'll sell my THX789. For now just going to enjoy my setup. Thanks!

jokan

Space is important for my desk. Haha. Maybe I'll wait for the Topping DX7Pro upgrade in the future. Can save space. When that time comes I'll sell my THX789. For now just going to enjoy my setup. Thanks!

I run the RME ADI DAC2 fs for a reason. I had the DX7pro and a huge assortment of op-amps. I bought the RME after becoming tired of a very dry sound that the dx7pro would put out no matter what I did, ultimately I couldn't escape a tiny soundstage with a lack of musicality. I had by this point spent enough money to have bought the RME ADI 2 DAC fs! When the RME arrived I carefully opened the smaller than topping DAC, lighter than topping DAC because it uses a computer style brick power supply, connected the balanced cables and the first note that came out of the DAC was exactly what I had been searching for. Music, and notes arranged almost mechanically to recreate some imitation copy of music. I used a David Gilmore song that I am extremely familiar with. Within 30 minutes, I had the topping boxed up, and drove to my local Hi-Fi recycle shop that buys and sells used audio gear, I got exactly the value I assumed I would get which is 1/3 of the retail price. They try to sell items at about 50% if it's a current model year product which at the time, the DX7pro was, of course I kept all my op-amps and refitted all the original LME47290's.

I personally don't use headphones as my primary listening source though I do have a couple of unbalanced only headphones and IEM's. The RME sounded much better right of the box here too. My headphones are 32ohms, IEM's 26 ohms the DAC has a separate 3.5mm plug which I used for the IEM's. You might want to check all the youtube video's out there that review the RME ADI 2 DAC fs. RME is a company that makes pro audio gear, and due to consumer demand they, for the first time ventured into the consumer market. And trust me when I say this, I am not alone in thinking that the RME DAC is actually a bargain. It has an 80page owners manual which is actually very easy to follow and understand, plus they have a user forum. Also It's either 3, or 5 years for the warranty. I've had my DAC since January, and it's NEVER been turned off. Absolutely no drop in performance and you can change the colour to a degree, brightness of the display, or have it set to Auto-off to help save the dot matrix display. Touch or twist the nob and boom, the display is back on. RME is constantly offering software updates. Since I got mine, 3 updates, all to keep up with the new Mac Mini, and some fine tuning of things I can't hear with my speakers, but could with headphones. It has a 5 band parametric eq with huge adjustability.

I would have literally run out of superlatives when it comes to this DAC and it works perfectly great with the SMSL DA-9 provided you don't use the SMSL remote control and use the supremely good built in preamp and headphone amp. Some of the RF signals for the SMSL change the settings on the RME. I get it that there are only so many frequencies that are available, but yes, this is the only drawback I could find. But then again, I'm not a huge headphone guy, I use speakers of my own design to listen to music. If you can find your way to a local dealer, I would urge you to ask them for a demo, bring a FLAC file or something, listen for yourself and walk out before you spend your money and think about what you just heard. Do you need "balanced pentaconn 4.4mm 5 pronged plugs? is it truly necessary, The RME doesn't have balanced headphone outs. So if you are going to audition the amp, bring the factory cable, or equivalent. There's literally, insane levels of adjustability, crossfeed, de-emphasis, Dual EQ (separate L/R adjustability or not), Width, polarity which can be adjusted in several steps. Best of all, I'm not even in the least bit curious to open or see the insides. There are online pictures showing everything.

And like I said, it is a fantastic companion to the much, much, much cheaper SMSL DA-9. And the DA-9 not only keeps up with the RME as I did try it multiple rooms before deciding this dac will be my main dac for everyday use and I work from home so If it's not music, I'm listening to a podcast.
The data measurements wise when it comes to this level or performance is so extremely good that you have to listen to the device yourself with your headphones or iem's to truly know what device is right for you. I am probably going to buy the SU8, the new one that was recently released a few days ago, along with another DA-9 for another room, my living room. Yes, I might seriously put my tube amplifier away for a while during the hot Tokyo Summers.

Before you mentally sell yourself on a device you should always find a shop where you can hear the device you are purchasing. Or be okay with the idea of gambling. For me, the RME is staying and never going away. The DA-9 will stay until I kill it from never turning it off. My PC also only gets turned off for a system update. Then it's right back to work. This hobby that we are all into should bring you immense joy. And I've had my fair share of DAC's and this RME unit is staying until it either breaks, or something that a patch cannot make better comes along which I think will take quite some time. I strongly recommend this combination, a weird one where the DAC is so much more expensive than the power amplifier, but it literally a beautiful combination in terms of sound.

Happy hunting, and you're absolutely right, space is very precious on any desktop these days, the bigger our screens get, the worse it is for us. That's what drove me to build my current speakers which admitedly are unfinished due to the fact that I live in Tokyo, in a high-rise and can't be making MDF cutting noises. Fortunately there is a famous shop that can cut lumber to a 0.1mm accuracy at 3 metres length. My panel alignment and clamping is more inaccurate than their cutting.

sorry I didn't wipe down the Amp/DAC combo. excuse the dust.

Attachments

• 20210426_154842b.jpg
    20210426_154842b.jpg
    725.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 72486796_b.jpg
    72486796_b.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 220
  • FB_IMG_1543425921859.jpg
    FB_IMG_1543425921859.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20191004_084903_951.jpg
    IMG_20191004_084903_951.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20191004_084903_953.jpg
    IMG_20191004_084903_953.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 205

epiceric6

Just received my DA-9 to pair with Polk S10 as my PC audio system.
DAC is Musiland 03 Plus connected via RCA.
I can hear interference noise if I set volume of the DA-9 above 45. It's likely come from my DAC but I'll need to isolate the source.
In my daily listening, I don't need volume above 35, so this shouldn't be a problem for now.
Otherwise I'm very happy with DA-9. It's sleek and straight forward to use.
I may consider getting a better DAC when I feel it, but for now this system should do the job just fine, as the Speaker is on the budget side, further improving on other components further may not be the best option.

mario_rouge

"Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.
In fact, DA-9 has a built-in 2nd low-pass filter for subwoofer. If the demand is strong, we will design it as a steeper filter in the next update cycle. But DA-9 has a built-in TONE, this can be used To match the subwoofer crossover point

Thanks
Best regards"
From [email protected]

does this mean that I can connect the DA9 to the LFE input of my subwoofer?

donald24

"Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out.
In fact, DA-9 has a built-in 2nd low-pass filter for subwoofer. If the demand is strong, we will design it as a steeper filter in the next update cycle. But DA-9 has a built-in TONE, this can be used To match the subwoofer crossover point

Thanks
Best regards"
From [email protected]

does this mean that I can connect the DA9 to the LFE input of my subwoofer?

That's what this output is for, yes. But I honestly am shocked, that they suggest using TONE for crossover adjustment...

tcb123

I have a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer connected via USB to a Topping D10S DAC, SMSL DA-9 amplifier and a pair of old Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers. I find the sound produced extremely good. At maximum volume I can just here a noise with my ear right up to the speakers, which are highly efficient. Normal loud listening is at 30 out of 70 and it sounds very clear. I bought the DA-9 to replace a Marantz PM6004 amplifier and I think it sounds better than the Marantz. So far I am 100% satisfied with the DA-9.

I notice that the DA-9 amplifier is grounded by its power lead, but the old Marantz is not. This could cause a ground loop if connected to a source that is grounded. Could this the the cause of hum some people have heard? The raspberry pi is powered by the official raspberry Pi power supply which has no earth connection.

Argomedo

I bought the DA-9 yesterday with a pair of Micca BR42. I hope it can deliver a good match. I also have a SMSL SU-9 on my desk which is pretty an endgame to me. In the future i am planning to use this amp and dac combo with better speakers for the main room.

Top Bottom