• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

SOUNDSONIC

Going to buy it soon. Replacing a Fosi Audio BT20a. Wondering if I'll hear improvements.

Ive got a similar TPA3116 base amp but in 2.1 config. I love it. Lows, mids and highs are great. Its my first class D amp. Brand is YiJiFi.

But I'll bet you will be amazed by the DA9 when you hear it.....

Notbn

Just received my DA9 today and wanted to make an account to inquire about a slight issue I am facing. It seems my DA9 has a noise problem. However unlike most people here, its coming from the amp itself, and the frequency of the noise varies with screen brightness of all things...

At max brightness it is high pitched, and as the brightness is lowered, as does the pitch of the electrical noise. It only goes away if the amplifier is turned off completely.

It does not seem to be noise coming from the power supply, as even while plugged in and turned off, the unit makes no noise.

Any tips? I might just leave it on for a while and see if the noise takes care of itself.

EDIT: Upon further investigation it also seems to have the dreaded RCA noise as well.

adamjohari

Just received my DA9 today and wanted to make an account to inquire about a slight issue I am facing. It seems my DA9 has a noise problem. However unlike most people here, its coming from the amp itself, and the frequency of the noise varies with screen brightness of all things...

At max brightness it is high pitched, and as the brightness is lowered, as does the pitch of the electrical noise. It only goes away if the amplifier is turned off completely.

It does not seem to be noise coming from the power supply, as even while plugged in and turned off, the unit makes no noise.

Any tips? I might just leave it on for a while and see if the noise takes care of itself.

EDIT: Upon further investigation it also seems to have the dreaded RCA noise as well.

Quite concerning as I'm waiting for mine. Can you run it balanced? Since I have a Drop THX 789, intend to use the through pass rca.

Of course, can get a new dac and that One Bear channel splitter and run everything balanced

Notbn

Quite concerning as I'm waiting for mine. Can you run it balanced? Since I have a Drop THX 789, intend to use the through pass rca.

Of course, can get a new dac and that One Bear channel splitter and run everything balanced

I don’t have any balanced cables unfortunately. I’m coming from an SA300 which is only USB or unbalanced in. There are plenty of anecdotes of the noise going away when running balanced though so you may be in luck. As long as your screen doesn’t squeal like mine does…

I sent a note to APOS, who I bought it from. Hopefully I can get a new one.

Last edited:

SOUNDSONIC

Hi, Notbn. Please disconnect all inputs on youf DA9. If you can isolate it fm other equipment, inductive, motorized, the power source , please do so. Switch the input to BT then gradually increase the volume. Normally, you cant hear any audible noise even you press your ears against the speakers. Try to adjust the display brightness too. Repeat the process with the balanced and unbalanced inputs. The results must be the same as with the BT setting. No noise at all....

adamjohari

This might sound newbish, but going to ask anyways. If I use those stacked cables (6 inch rca connectors), would the chance of noise be lower? Figured since the cables are shorter the chances would be lower for interference. Currently using them.

68BE4AD7-0E98-406B-879F-DD363594F0D6.jpeg

Notbn

Hi, Notbn. Please disconnect all inputs on youf DA9. If you can isolate it fm other equipment, inductive, motorized, the power source , please do so. Switch the input to BT then gradually increase the volume. Normally, you cant hear any audible noise even you press your ears against the speakers. Try to adjust the display brightness too. Repeat the process with the balanced and unbalanced inputs. The results must be the same as with the BT setting. No noise at all....

I get what I would consider a standard amount of light hiss through the speakers on the Bluetooth input when pushing past 60 on the volume scale. I wouldn’t be surprised if the very bad hiss/static I am experienced g is due to my DACs output. That I’m not too worried about at this moment to be completely honest.

My biggest issue with the unit it that even with no speakers connected, it makes the aforementioned “electrical ringing” noise. This noise is admittedly quiet, however it is noticeable in a quiet room when the amp is used in a desk setup as I am using it. This noise is persistent no matter what, as long as the amp is tuned on. I have tested it on many different outlets in my home. The frequency of the noise changes when changing the screen brightness, lower frequency noise on the lowest brightness, which increases as the brightness is turned up.

1lifeliveit

Received my DA-9 yesterday. It replaced the ancient onkyo TX-NR905 receiver I've been using as a power amp through pure audio mode. My speakers are Martin Logan motion 40s. I use a RPi (moode audio) feeding an SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2 which connects to the onkyo via analog inputs (RCA)
The onkyo sounded really good - good midrange and the voices sounded very real, but lacked a bit in low down bass.

The DA-9 is very neutral, very clean and the bass in the low range has improved - BUT - the midrange sounds very lean. The SDB filter helps a little bit but the voices are not engaging as the onkyo.

I understand the Sanskrit 10th is a very analytical sounding DAC. I wonder if I get a better DAC (SMSL SU-9 gets great reviews as a 'warm' DAC), I can get back the mid range?

Do you guys think I'm wasting my time with trying different/better DACs? Maybe I should get back to Class AB amps or even better class D ones like Hypex/Purifi?

The new SMSL A1 - Class A also sounds good

Last edited:

SOUNDSONIC

Then I guess youve got a defective one. A mechanical vibration inside the unit.it seems. For me, the best option is to have the unit returned/replaced by the seller.

A member here, Jokan did solve a "white noise" issue as he explicitly stated in his posts here. He has good knowledge on whats inside the DA9. Maybe he can assist you if you opt to solve the issue by yourself.

Sorry. This is a response for Notbn.

Last edited:

Poultrygeist

If there's a noise issue my 99 db speakers will let me. One reason I purchased from Amazon is their easy return policy.

SOUNDSONIC

Received my DA-9 yesterday. It replaced the ancient onkyo TX-NR905 receiver I've been using as a power amp through pure audio mode. My speakers are Martin Logan motion 40s. I use a RPi (moode audio) feeding an SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk2 which connects to the onkyo via analog inputs (RCA)
The onkyo sounded really good - good midrange and the voices sounded very real, but lacked a bit in low down bass.

The DA-9 is very neutral, very clean and the bass in the low range has improved - BUT - the midrange sounds very lean. The SDB filter helps a little bit but the voices are not engaging as the onkyo.

I understand the Sanskrit 10th is a very analytical sounding DAC. I wonder if I get a better DAC (SMSL SU-9 gets great reviews as a 'warm' DAC), I can get back the mid range?

Do you guys think I'm wasting my time with trying different/better DACs? Maybe I should get back to Class AB amps or even better class D ones like Hypex/Purifi?

The new SMSL A1 - Class A also sounds good

Lets try this one. As they say thers no harm in trying. Other DA9 owners may have a different, better approach.

Please use the BT (hi-res source) of the DA9 and set the EQ to Direct. Volume at your usual listening level. Observe the mids. If better, the Sanskrit may not be delivering the mids you want. Then you need a better DAC. Otherwise, you need a better amp.

Regards.

1lifeliveit

Lets try this one. As they say thers no harm in trying. Other DA9 owners may have a different, better approach.

Please use the BT (hi-res source) of the DA9 and set the EQ to Direct. Volume at your usual listening level. Observe the mids. If better, the Sanskrit may not be delivering the mids you want. Then you need a better DAC. Otherwise, you need a better amp.

Regards.
Yeah, I actually tried it. More or less the same results. I also tried an old Allo Boss DAC in the RPi. It brought back the warmth, but nowhere near clean as the DA-9 DAC or the Sanskrit.
Anyway I spoke to the store I bought it from, he's going to lend me a SMSL A1 class A amp to demo. He reckons it's miles ahead of the DA-9 in the midrange and warmth. If I like it, he's happy to take the DA-9 back.
This being a long weekend here, I wont be able to try it till Tuesday.

SOUNDSONIC

Yeah, I actually tried it. More or less the same results. I also tried an old Allo Boss DAC in the RPi. It brought back the warmth, but nowhere near clean as the DA-9 DAC or the Sanskrit.
Anyway I spoke to the store I bought it from, he's going to lend me a SMSL A1 class A amp to demo. He reckons it's miles ahead of the DA-9 in the midrange and warmth. If I like it, he's happy to take the DA-9 back.
This being a long weekend here, I wont be able to try it till Tuesday.

I can feel the excitement. Good luck then. Looking foreward to your test anf impressions on the A1...

1lifeliveit

I can feel the excitement. Good luck then. Looking foreward to your test anf impressions on the A1...
Absolutely. Cant find too many firsthand reviews of the A1 anywhere. Very excited. I've never had a Class A before

fluxcapacitor

Just ordered mine DA9 over aliexpress, today...I had used SA300 which i liked a lot but could never opened it due to its awkward assembly design, i hope i can tear this one down easily and replace psu caps with higher grade nichicons...Let's see.

Poultrygeist

Just ordered mine DA9 over aliexpress, today...I had used SA300 which i liked a lot but could never opened it due to its awkward assembly design, i hope i can tear this one down easily and replace psu caps with higher grade nichicons...Let's see.

It's built to a price point so one part may beget another.

ArtDJ

NY Time's Wirecutter just published a review of several amplifiers, written by Brent Butterworth. The only S.M.S.L. model included in the comparison was the SA300 which was not recommended because "it sounded slightly thin, and both our ears and our measurements indicated that it was noisier and had higher distortion at low levels than our picks."

Obviously the SA300 is not the DA-9, but considering they both use the same Infineon amp chip I wonder if any of the same issues may apply.

adamjohari

NY Time's Wirecutter just published a review of several amplifiers, written by Brent Butterworth. The only S.M.S.L. model included in the comparison was the SA300 which was not recommended because "it sounded slightly thin, and both our ears and our measurements indicated that it was noisier and had higher distortion at low levels than our picks."

Obviously the SA300 is not the DA-9, but considering they both use the same Infineon amp chip I wonder if any of the same issues may apply.
I bought my Fosi Audio BT20A based off of this review. Now getting the DA-9. Don't think I'm qualified to make a comparison. I can take a video of the two I guess.

Top Bottom