• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

barchetta

I watched the review as soon as I read your post. I cant help but to smile because his excitement on the DA9 was the same as mine when I made my test. I watched the video from start to end and I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

PS: The SMSL VMV Class A amp brochure you provided is cool. Thanks.

Not sure why this is important to someone who already owns a DA9. Are you looking for validation? From my perspective, if I own something, I either like it or I dont. I dont need someone else telling me if it is a good product.

SOUNDSONIC

Not sure why this is important to someone who already owns a DA9. Are you looking for validation? From my perspective, if I own something, I either like it or I dont. I dont need someone else telling me if it is a good product.

IMHO. Sometimes we need someone "in authority" to validate that our purchase, in this case the DA9, performs as we see or hear it. I like this thing and fell in love with it the first time I made my test. Many DA-9 owners though they are already fine with it still wanted the reason why they like it. And a review or better, a measurement would confirm that. In fact, we are hopeful that Amirm will make measurements out of it.

iiWi is a well experienced reviewer of electronic audio devices. His validation or confirmation have boosted my confidence with the DA-9.

Again, just my honest opinion....

adamjohari

It can work the other way too haha. Like how I got the BW607 S2 and then Amir's review came out and decimated it.

SOUNDSONIC

It can work the other way too haha. Like how I got the BW607 S2 and then Amir's review came out and decimated it.

Ummm...I agree. What Hi-Fi reviewed them with praises. Yet it turned out to be "not good" with measurements. It maybe also be true to the DA9. But how do these speakers stacked up with you personally?

Oldguy49

Hello all. New here, and having now read thru all 30-pages about the DA-9 power amp, I'm convinced it is a worthy choice for my quest.
I'm looking to 'change' (and maybe give up) my vintage Accuphase gear for the more modern, smaller and cheaper units available now and still maintain a decent audio sound system.
Being now retired and downsizing to a much smaller place, keeping the wife happy with a 'neater' sound system has become a factor. Not to mention the kids can't believe their smartphones can't be accommodated. :)
That led me to purchase a Topping D70s DAC which has enough inputs to connect all the various sources. I envision the SMSL DA-9 to connect from the Topping D70s DAC via XLR, to be a tidy and well sounding system! BTW, speakers are HSU CCB-8's.

RikB

IMHO. Sometimes we need someone "in authority" to validate that our purchase, in this case the DA9, performs as we see or hear it. I like this thing and fell in love with it the first time I made my test. Many DA-9 owners though they are already fine with it still wanted the reason why they like it. And a review or better, a measurement would confirm that. In fact, we are hopeful that Amirm will make measurements out of it.

iiWi is a well experienced reviewer of electronic audio devices. His validation or confirmation have boosted my confidence with the DA-9.

Again, just my honest opinion....
iiWi raved about the DragonFly Cobalt DAC which measured pretty badly according to Amir. I wouldn't take iiWi's opinion as being an authority as to how good it is technically.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hello fine ASR Members! Great conversation your having here, always nice to find a place to discuss things that we enjoy. With that in mind let’s try to remember we’re all here to learn and share our knowledge with one another. Also keep in mind not everyone here speaks or writes English as their first language. So give people the benefit of the doubt and assume the best in people.

Please and thank you.

Chewing Al

Perhaps a stupid question, but has anyone tried to connect 4 speakers to the DA9. That is 2 speakers to the left channel and 2 to the right channel, either in series or in parallel? The amp is able to work with low impedance speakers, so wiring them up in parallel should work.

SOUNDSONIC

Perhaps a stupid question, but has anyone tried to connect 4 speakers to the DA9. That is 2 speakers to the left channel and 2 to the right channel, either in series or in parallel? The amp is able to work with low impedance speakers, so wiring them up in parallel should work.

I did. Biwired 2 speakers per channel. It works for me. Combining 2 identical speakers dont have significant effect on sound character though. Sounds would just become louder.

What I did is, one soeaker is rich in mids and highs and the other is rich in bass. Spkr 1 has 6ohms nominal impedance, 90db sensitivity and spker 2 at 3.8ohms nominal, 87db sensitivity. I wanted to have the mids and highs more prominent thats why spkr 1 has higher sensitivity than spkr 2. You may want to experiment the right combo according to your taste.

No noticeable increase in temp. The DA9 volume is set at full 70 while the SU9 volume takes control. 50 on the SU9 is already too loud for me. Im not keen to crank it to almost full fearing the DA9 may be overdriven/overloaded with just <2.4ohms load.

Hope this helps..

Last edited:

Chewing Al

I did. Biwired 2 speakers per channel. It works for me. Combining 2 identical speakers dont have significant effect on sound character though. Sounds would just become louder.

What I did is, one soeaker is rich in mids and highs and the other is rich in bass. Spkr 1 has 6ohms nominal impedance, 90db sensitivity and spker 2 at 3.8ohms nominal, 87db sensitivity. I wanted to have the mids and highs more prominent thats why spkr 1 has higher sensitivity than spkr 2. You may want to experiment the right combo according to your taste.

No noticeable increase in temp. The DA9 volume is set at full 70 while the SU9 volume takes control. 50 on the SU9 is already too loud for me. Im not keen to crank it to almost full fearing the DA9 may be overdriven/overloaded with just <2.4ohms load.

Hope this helps..
Thank you SOUNDSONIC, I have exactly two different kinds of speakers, one pair has more bass the other more refined at the top. I had them hooked up to a class A-B amplifier with 4 terminals for the speakers and that worked flawlessly. Good to hear I can try it on the DA9 as well.

pwn87

maybe i'm crazy but it seems to sound (much?) better than loxjie a30 ...
damn
i guess i have to find a new dac then to fix my problems with my usb soundcard -.-

barchetta

Apparently this forum is moderated like Twitter. Therefore, since my opinions are subject to acceptance by the regime that runs this forum and deleted when one of them personally finds them unacceptable, I am no longer going to be contributing. And I believe I was contributing quite well in making people think about what reason the da9 is good, bad or otherwise. Will be deleting my account if possible..

adamjohari

Apparently this forum is moderated like Twitter. Therefore, since my opinions are subject to acceptance by the regime that runs this forum and deleted when one of them personally finds them unacceptable, I am no longer going to be contributing. And I believe I was contributing quite well in making people think about what reason the da9 is good, bad or otherwise. Will be deleting my account if possible..
Went through your previous posts and they are good. You're giving good contributions to ASR. With the exception of you telling another poster of "I hope you feel good about yourself" for feeling validated by a good review for his purchased product, I think we're all good. Relax brother.

Chewing Al

iiWi raved about the DragonFly Cobalt DAC which measured pretty badly according to Amir. I wouldn't take iiWi's opinion as being an authority as to how good it is technically.
There is no way of knowing how truthful these techtubers are with regards to the appraisal they're giving to a product. Do they get paid for it or not? They might tell you they're not, but you just have to take their word for it. Or they might say things to get more views in order for their channel to grow. In the immortal words of Dr. House : everybody lies.

RikB

There is no way of knowing how truthful these techtubers are with regards to the appraisal they're giving to a product. Do they get paid for it or not? They might tell you they're not, but you just have to take their word for it. Or they might say things to get more views in order for their channel to grow. In the immortal words of Dr. House : everybody lies.
Exactly, that's why I like Amir's reviews. He's open when there is a potential conflict of interest.

cyberzigot

It's less likely about getting paid. It is more likely on getting on the good side of the manufacturers of the product so that they will continue to send in products to review. One can imagine how costly it is to get your hands on so many products just to make reviews.

Crakzor

Sa400 arrives today and da9 in a couple days. One will be going back

replaces sa300 & pairing rp600m w/ ifi neo idsd

Last edited:
Top Bottom