• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Nango

Major Contributor
There is no such exclusion in insurance policies. You could negligently set your house on fire and they still cover it. If you got hurt you could sue the equipment maker. That is why they need to get certification.
My home insurance and any other insurance won't cover (in the EU) if you use prohibited appliances and similar. That's for sure (and it makes sense).

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Well the hum on unbalanced out is no go for me :( I have Topping A90 and when I've tried it with my unbalanced Nakamichi PA5 as preamp, it makes really bad background noise, not only 50Hz hum but also high frequency noise :( SMSL SP400 is better, but still worse than my recently acquired Mark Levinson ML380 preamp from 90's... Yet with XLR out A90 and SP400 are quieter with NC500 Hypexes than the ML380.
It's really pity, that Armin doesn't properly test the preamp section of those devices and also the crosstalk on pre-outs. I understand, that these are primary headphone amps (and really fantastic!), but you can expect nasty surprises in other use cases. Another problem with A90 is crosstalk between inputs and mechanical high pitch noise from switching power supply (but I think that this was developed over time).

All that superhigh SINAD is useless then. I do not understand why most of those new xi-fi preamps are made in class I. Totally degrades parameters in unbalanced links. And yes, it should be tested, to get at least some usable parameter.

kopczas

mechanical high pitch noise from switching power supply

Maybe your A90 is faulty. I use mine from September and it`s dead quiet. Truth is that A90 lacks groundloop breaker, as Pre90 has one. Unfortunately Sa-1 misses it too.

Veri

Master Contributor
Truth is that A90 lacks groundloop breaker, as Pre90 has one. Unfortunately Sa-1 misses it too.
Think I'm gonna order the SA-1 and test it in all my uses. If it has grounding issues it goes back. On paper it looks like a pretty fine amp though. @amirm pretty late to be asking things, but any chance you tested its pre-amp capabilities? :) wonder how it does vs A90.

So why they advertise it as class A?
Is it AB?
Yeah, see previous discussion. It is AB for the most part. But can still be biased into class A at 'normal' listening levels really. Depends how much you push it. On the other hand, what does it matter? :D

honn

wow, better than even Topping A90 in most measurements?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
So why they advertise it as class A?
Is it AB?
I don't have any inside information to confirm this, but I bet it is class A. At any rate, it appears incredibly well made.

Veri

Master Contributor
wow, better than even Topping A90 in most measurements?
Yes, but note that amirm measured balanced in balanced out, single ended in single ended out.
-balanced in single ended out or the other way might have a performance penalty due to the design lacking a proper differential conversion stage
-single ended performance under load (headphone use) might be worse than as measured by Amirm here, @WolfX-700's measurements indicated. No such issue using balanced in balanced out.

'Funnily' enough, the Jotunheim 2 by Schiit has the exact same issues due to similar engineering choices. This is essentially a Chinese Jotunheim 2 with overall better max performance but less max power output. Likewise, A90 BAL in BAL out is also definitely more powerful still than SA-1. But I don't have any such absurd power requirements personally..

Last edited:

JRG

My home insurance and any other insurance won't cover (in the EU) if you use prohibited appliances and similar. That's for sure (and it makes sense).
As far as I know, CE marking is mandatory in the EU for home appliances connected to mains.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First, apologies for sounding snarky, you don't necessarily know. Now quote: "But the USA makes almost no consumer electronic parts", WAS the context, you also said: If this was USA, it would means that it containt PARTS that are from abroad.

Just pointing out that USA is, by a good margin the largest semiconductors components manufacturer in the world. Sure, no debate that for everything else, assembly, mechanical parts, Plastic molding, etc, etc, etc, Asia is far far ahead, but it is not the point you first made!
Actually, a ton of plastic molding goes on in the USA, too.

Many kitchen appliances, washers, dryers, air conditioners, and other household electronic and electrical goods are manufactured in the USA and they are price competitive. However, unless you are talking about “high end” consumer electronics, then far and away there is not much consumer electronics production in the USA. The only notable exception I can think off of the bat is the Macintosh Pro.

martin900

Not a single one certification, no CE-label nor it is mentioned in the review like before. This one won't be allowed to be imported into EU nor to be sold here.
Doesn't seem to be the case. Magna Hifi in the Netherlands is an official dealer and has these on stock as well.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, but note that amirm measured balanced in balanced out, single ended in single ended out.
-balanced in single ended out or the other way might have a performance penalty due to the design lacking a proper differential conversion stage
-single ended performance under load (headphone use) might be worse than as measured by Amirm here, @WolfX-700's measurements indicated. No such issue using balanced in balanced out.

'Funnily' enough, the Jotunheim 2 by Schiit has the exact same issues due to similar engineering choices. This is essentially a Chinese Jotunheim 2 with overall better max performance but less max power output. Likewise, A90 BAL in BAL out is also definitely more powerful still than SA-1. But I don't have any such absurd power requirements personally..

I can't find Wolf's review on his site, could you please link it?

gvl

Major Contributor
@JohnYang1997 , is the issue with the unbalanced output being taken from one leg of the diff path real? I think @amirm said he couldn't see any degradation. Can you guys confirm pls?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997 , is the issue with the unbalanced output being taken from one leg of the diff path real? I think @amirm said he couldn't see any degradation. Can you guys confirm pls?
Confirmed by the designer that the unbalanced is taken off one branch of the balanced input. The intention was to get best performance out of balanced output. And it does. But that's not the whole story. There can be distortion being cancelled in balanced output and the grounding design is not very good. So it's a complex issue in fact. But you know...

Top Bottom