• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

antennaguru

Where I have lived for the last 40+ years the increase in traffic density has meant that there is no point in having a sporty car any more.
It was the case that on the way to Oxford if I came across a slower car and had a sportscar quick enough to overtake safely on the short straight bits I arrived earlier. Now there are so many cars there are few overtaking opportunities and as I approach Oxford the car I may have overtaken 8 miles earlier is in view in my rear view mirror.
I am going for a quiet comfortable car with a good turn of speed and ridding myself of sporty cars, sadly.

So happy to live in the country where there is no traffic density. These days I regularly drive my Honda S2000 Roadster, which was formerly my dedicated track car now converted back to street (tires, suspension components, alignment). It turns out it makes a great road going car with a decent size trunk, A/C that blows cold, a power convertible top, and Honda Vtec reliability and power. The SCCA roll bar is not obtrusive and the cloth race seats are actually more comfortable than the OEM leather seats. So now the 6-point harnesses are tucked behind the seats, and we use the OEM DOT seat belts, but the harnesses are still there if I want to do an occasional track day for fun and not competition. Last year I did one of those on an invitation, so I donned my old helmet, nomex suit and neck restraint. It's basically a Miata on steroids that runs with many high end sports cars.

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where I have lived for the last 40+ years the increase in traffic density has meant that there is no point in having a sporty car any more.
It was the case that on the way to Oxford if I came across a slower car and had a sportscar quick enough to overtake safely on the short straight bits I arrived earlier. Now there are so many cars there are few overtaking opportunities and as I approach Oxford the car I may have overtaken 8 miles earlier is in view in my rear view mirror.
I am going for a quiet comfortable car with a good turn of speed and ridding myself of sporty cars, sadly.

or move to an area with accessible fun twisty roads that have low traffic volumes

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is something I realized very quickly when I worked at Sellafield. I lived in Carlisle and whenever I drove home especially I would see people driving like demons, going for really tight overtaking opportunities and being flexible with their interpretation of the speed limit. Almost invariably I would see the same cars a couple of cars ahead of me at a traffic light in Carlisle. Just going with the flow was much less stressful, saved a very noticeable amount of fuel and didn't actually lose any time in reality.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
or move to an area with accessible fun twisty roads that have low traffic volumes
I have 6 of my grandchildren within walking distance...
I have had 54 years of driving fun.
The quiet comfy electric car I am buying has an impressive turn of speed for my visits to the other 3 grandchildren in Wales :)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is up to you, of course.

Here is one of my favorite drives...

my 911 at Dee Wright with Sisters.jpg

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have 6 of my grandchildren within walking distance...
I have had 54 years of driving fun.
The quiet comfy electric car I am buying has an impressive turn of speed for my visits to the other 3 grandchildren in Wales :)
If ever this pandemic ends and travel once again becomes possible, Wales is on our list. Wish to go other places as well and I'd also like to do some birding.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. The older I get the less need I feel to own a fast car. I never had one anyway, due to lack of money and because other things in my life were more important to me, but I drove a motorbike for 2 years when I was young so I know what acceleration means and the fun it brings.

Last year our 18 years old Honda Jazz got a problem after 220,000 km with both the engine and the manual transmission so we decided to replace it (there were other hickups as well, like the remote key could not open or close one of the back doors, and it was no longer a quiet drive) since it was not worth to have it fixed (I'm not a car mechanican). At our dealer I saw a 5 year old Honda Jazz Hybrid for about half the price (compared to when it was new) and just 11,000 km driven (owner was retired). It had everything we wanted, but seat heating was missing and it had a continuous variable transmission which I thought I would dislike. However after the dealer offered to retrofit seat heating for free we bought it after two test drives (one for me, one for my wife who has never driven an automatic transmisson) - and man I am so happy we did! :) It needs less fuel, accelerates better, runs much quieter (2400 rpm at 130 km/h compared to 3800 rpm with the old one) and the transmission is very comfortable.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And the next stage will be - autonomously driving cars.
I could see it becoming the norm for specific controlled situations like high-density parking. Right now, much space is wasted because of the need to allow for human ingress / egress, but take that out of the equation, and you could pack them in like sardines. And shopping centers might like it, because every minute not spent looking for parking is potentially a minute you can be purchasing their goods and services - let the individual cars talk to the hive-mind of the parking system to figure out which vehicles will fit where.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also think some of you are suffering from the same problem I am having. I'm getting old.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this the landscape of acid rain, brought upon us by people driving that very car at very high speeds in Germany. ;)

extensive periods of vulcanism in Earth's history have caused a lot of acid rain

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If ever this pandemic ends and travel once again becomes possible, Wales is on our list. Wish to go other places as well and I'd also like to do some birding.
My eldest daughter went to Wales to do her PhD and loved it so much she settled and never came back. She married locally and has 3 Welsh speaking outdoor loving sons.
It makes a perfect holiday location, right next to the Menai Strait. It is 225 miles so on the limit for the car I have ordered without a charging stop, depending on who you listen to!

Top Bottom