• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Pink_Floyd_-_Dark_Side_Of_The_Moon-front.jpg
You'd put them on the sunny side, obviously.

1628884180051.png

Ear-Wax

I have one of those as well (dark grey, 64 kW battery). Was one of the first to get one in the Netherlands. Put on 65000 km the first year, I’m now almost at 120000 km. It’s quite a nice comfortable and well driving car, quick enough and quite efficient. I regularly drive 400 km/day, which in the summertime you can do on a single charge with a little luck. Reliabilityy is excellent, though I’ve had to call in once for a dead 12v battery ;). Battery wear seems quite minimal as well.

Not quite though. My colleague has the Kona EV. The Kona is quite a bit smaller, and it does have a different battery pack. His was replaced and he still can't charge it to 100% due to safety concerns :facepalm:

I own a 2019 Kona EV and the temporary imposed range reduction by limiting the charge to a maximum of 80% is inconvenient for sure. This is a safety stop-gap measure until we get our battery replaced by Hyundai later this year (so we were told). I can get around 330Km range on a 80% charge with the car loaded up and AC in 30C weather, so not too bad. We only need to stop for ~25 min DC fast charge if we travel more than 500Km/day.
But it sure beats buying Gas @ $1.40 liter in my area. :cool:
IMG_1030-edited.JPG

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remember that Tesla fancies itself a power company. Cars were just the lever used to open this particular can of worms.

Their real opposition isn't GM - it's ConEd.

the book discusses the early years too - even before e-lon arrived

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
coal is shrinking
I read that China and Vietnam are building many coal fired electricity generation plants. Here in Canada we are still exporting coal in vast quantity. So much in fact that corporations applied for more coal mining permits to chop off the tops of a couple of mountains. The biggest coal port in North America is south of Vancouver in Tsawwassen. It's also used by the USA coal exporters for loading ships. Brought in via train loads.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the things that kind of amuses me is coal traders virtue signalling about using energy efficient ships to transport hundreds of thousands of tonnes of coal to be combusted

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Brand?

You might enjoy reading "Power Play" about the struggles to get Tesla up and running.
I looked at a few.
I don't like heavy cars, which put me off for a long time, and detest SUVs but my most frequent passenger is my dog, so wanted an estate car.
In the end I have chosen a Porsche Cross Turismo 4S and am selling cars I no longer use to cover the cost since I have retired.
I was sceptical until I had a test drive but the clever engineering makes it feel small and nimble despite being the length and width of a Range Rover and almost as heavy.
Its range isn't special but having owned cars which do 9 mpg this isn't a surprise since it feels as quick, in fact quicker at low speed.
There is a long wait though, next year but not sure when.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It appears the interior is suede or alcantara and smooth leather...very nice..
There is a huge choice of interiors, one thing I like because it means I am not forced into black or grey which I am bored by after all these years.
The cloth/alcantara (ie non-leather) interior isn't available in the pale non-monochrome colour I favour and is also almost £3000 extra, so not on my spec :)

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, Porsche will be very happy to customize your vehicle. Very, very happy...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How did leather become the default "premium" car upholstery anyway? In summer it burns like hell if you wear shorts and it is awful for lateral acceleration. The only positive is it is easy to clean if someone vomits. I much prefer alcantara or cloth but for a while many cars didn't offer an alternative. One of the pleasant side effects of the rise of veganism is car companies offering leather alternatives (although some snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by offering plastic leather, the ultimate combination of crapness IMO).
That said, I dislike leather much less than the obsession with putting the entire car user interface on a touch screen. You can't improve on rotary air-con/vent controls, volume knobs etc. And I hate the move to even put the Speedo on a centre touchscreen.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't improve on rotary air-con/vent controls, volume knobs etc. And I hate the move to even put the Speedo on a centre touchscreen.

You're not alone in recognizing this. Capacitive "switches" are for ease of assembly, and sourcing parts. If the same switch can be reprogrammed to other functions it implies a reduction in parts count.

On the other hand, displays instead of dedicated dials makes perfect sense when performance data is all on a CanBus.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
one of the nicest Bavarian Buicks, but the engine is at the wrong end

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How did leather become the default "premium" car upholstery anyway? In summer it burns like hell if you wear shorts and it is awful for lateral acceleration. The only positive is it is easy to clean if someone vomits. I much prefer alcantara or cloth but for a while many cars didn't offer an alternative. One of the pleasant side effects of the rise of veganism is car companies offering leather alternatives (although some snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by offering plastic leather, the ultimate combination of crapness IMO).
That said, I dislike leather much less than the obsession with putting the entire car user interface on a touch screen. You can't improve on rotary air-con/vent controls, volume knobs etc. And I hate the move to even put the Speedo on a centre touchscreen.
I agree, fabric is better for upholstery but is often not available and "vegan leather" is the worst of the worst.
I also hate touch screens, master of the unwanted selection, but of the 2 cars which I looked into the car I liked and was most suitable for the dog had them :(

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I had to have a new ICE vehicle today, the two which might interest me the most are the Suzuki Jimny and the Toyota GR Yaris, neither of which is sold in the USA, so any possible temptation has been nipped in the bud. I imagine that the Corvette is a bargain for what it is, but these days I really want a compact box with some cargo-carrying capacity (think groceries, not sofas) with enough ground clearance to negotiate speed bumps, potholes and intersections with high crowns. I really hate the sound of the bodywork and undercarriage scraping against the pavement!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Mazda has a good balance for car controls, they use a centre screen but retained a command dial and retained rotary air-con controls and regular instruments. It was a redeeming feature of Audi that they had a good compromise between touchscreen and physical controls but their new models have cut costs and gone all touchscreen.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I had to have a new ICE vehicle today, the two which might interest me the most are the Suzuki Jimny and the Toyota GR Yaris, neither of which is sold in the USA, so any possible temptation has been nipped in the bud. I imagine that the Corvette is a bargain for what it is, but these days I really want a compact box with some cargo-carrying capacity (think groceries, not sofas) with enough ground clearance to negotiate speed bumps, potholes and intersections with high crowns. I really hate the sound of the bodywork and undercarriage scraping against the pavement!
You could use a Tuscon.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Honda HRV?

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I actually like leather interiors. It doesn't get that hot for very long here and the ventilated seats are great. When we dumped our 2019 Highlander Hybrid (wife 4'10" - couldn't see over the side view mirrors when driving around town) we looked again at almost all SUVs. Sort of liked the Outback but the morons put the seat heating and ventilation controls buried deep into their touchscreen. This was a total non-starter for me as it was absurdly awkward.

Ended up with a Hyundai Santa Fe and it's a decent ride, wife has great visibility, and the dogs like it as well!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I desperately wanted to love the Tesla Model 3 as in so many ways it completely redefines expectations. Hugely practical, comfortable, blistering performance and excellent handling despite the weight, and all for a very sensible price. In some ways it is the best car available if all factors and price are considered in my opinion. However I hated the user interface. I had a similar feeling about the VW ID3, terrific car on paper but again I didn't like the user interface and the cabin quality was more 1980's Lada than £40k car.

Last edited:
Top Bottom