• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening via Android Auto (in the car)

Svensson

I have an older Sony phone with 1GB microSD card and this has USB out to my car for android auto. Works perfectly for my local flac files and Qobuz via my phone.
Phone needs replacing and not many new phones have MicroSD AND are desirable. I tried an external SSD via OTG cable splitter, but car won't recognize input this way. Can't change car head unit and android auto only works via cable, not by Bluetooth on my Kia.

Looking for thoughts or suggestions please.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an older Sony phone with 1GB microSD card and this has USB out to my car for android auto. Works perfectly for my local flac files and Qobuz via my phone.
Phone needs replacing and not many new phones have MicroSD AND are desirable. I tried an external SSD via OTG cable splitter, but car won't recognize input this way. Can't change car head unit and android auto only works via cable, not by Bluetooth on my Kia.

Looking for thoughts or suggestions please.
I'd go streaming mostly/ only in the car, ditch the SD card and just get one with 128GB onboard storage. If you need to go off network for any amount of time you can download a playlist/ selection to onboard storage.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hook the phone up to the computer and use USB transfer to move your songs. Then buy any phone you want and copy them back.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd just try finding another phone with expandable storage, if that's what's most convenient for you.

Since 2023, 340 different phones were released with expandable storage. At least one of them should be desirable.

Edit: if we filter for big, established brands and OLED screens to exclude budget phones, then that still leaves 54 phones:

There are even three foldables with SD card support.

Last edited:
OP
S

Svensson

I'd just try finding another phone with expandable storage, if that's what's most convenient for you.

Since 2023, 340 different phones were released with expandable storage. At least one of them should be desirable.

Edit: if we filter for big, established brands and OLED screens to exclude budget phones, then that still leaves 54 phones:

There are even three foldables with SD card support.
Thanks and very grateful @staticV3 I do like the convenience plus the extra backup copy.
54 phones should be plenty to go after. My phone search was not smart.

staticV3

Master Contributor
54 phones should be plenty to go after. My phone search was not smart.
If it doesn't have to be the the best of the best, then you can include phones from 2022, 2021, etc as well.

Using GSMArena you can even specify a maximum phone height if you'd prefer something compact.

Top Bottom