• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your bicycles!

Andysu

Major Contributor
Bear out on the bike this , no summertime no year
we also encountered that dreadful indy 5 movie

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

Currently working to get this 1965 Gazelle A bicycle back on the road again.

It's going to be a stealth restomod with modern wheels, a dynamo hub and a rear light modified to fit the original silver model.

Making it go from this:

And right now being:

Still some mechanical issues to work out.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently working to get this 1965 Gazelle A bicycle back on the road again.

It's going to be a stealth restomod with modern wheels, a dynamo hub and a rear light modified to fit the original silver model.

Making it go from this:

And right now being:

Still some mechanical issues to work out.
You painted the splashback.?

Last edited:
OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

You painted the splashback.?
What do you mean splashback?

The white bit on the fender used to be a legal requirement on Dutch bikes but it was looking a little messed up,
The skirt guards and chainguard are varnished cloth. Great material but after 58 years they tend to disintegrate. Luckily replacements can be found here at reasonable prices.

The gold pinstripes were original but I just touched them up with some painters tape and a paint pen, then coated it all in a clear coat.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The white bit on the fender used to be a legal requirement on Dutch bikes
What if the bike had no mudguards/fenders?

They used to paint the part of the rear mudguard white here in the UK too:

1699975194010.png

I added strip of red retroreflective tape to my rear mudguard. I have lights, but it can't hurt:

1699974936265.png

In the UK, you must have a front brake to ride on the road, I assume you don't have to in the Netherlands. On your bike, is it a fixed wheel or a coaster brake?

Last edited:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean splashback?

The white bit on the fender used to be a legal requirement on Dutch bikes but it was looking a little messed up,
The skirt guards and chainguard are varnished cloth. Great material but after 58 years they tend to disintegrate. Luckily replacements can be found here at reasonable prices.

The gold pinstripes were original but I just touched them up with some painters tape and a paint pen, then coated it all in a clear coat.
Nice job i'm Dutch. In Dutch I have meant spatbord (the white bit) as you describe as fender.

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

Nice job i'm Dutch. In Dutch I have meant spatbord (the white bit) as you describe as fender.
Mudguard, fender, spatbord I can't really find a name for just the white part of the fender. Apparently it was a legal requirement from the 50's but stopped being a legal requirement after 1995 when red reflectors turned out to be good enough. And people would have them painted on by their local bicycle shop. I just think they look cool. :)

Fietsersbond 1960

What if the bike had no mudguards/fenders?
[...]
In the UK, you must have a front brake to ride on the road, I assume you don't have to in the Netherlands. On your bike, is it a fixed wheel or a coaster brake?
Yeah no clue to be honest. I basically grew up on bicycles where it was no longer a legal requirement. I think it was mostly enforced if you rode your bike at night. That must have been the loophole for road bikes for example. France had yellow reflective parts for the longest time I think.

This one uses a Fichtel & Sachs Torpedo coaster brake. I just overhauled it but I haven't been able to ride it just yet. I contemplated hunting down a period correct Torpedo 'Dreigang' 3-speed coaster brake model but I decided against it. Too much complexity and at those speeds I'd want an extra brake.
Generally speaking these bikes are not geared for high speeds anyway so a single freewheel/coaster brake is all they have. It ties into these basic, no-nonsense bikes that require very little maintenance.

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
IMG_20230919_083238.jpg

Two months ago, from Tianjin to Xi'an, around 1200km.

A simple Decathlon bike and a sort of electric truck loaded with luggages.

Thanks for the thread, I've seen "Show us your car" and it gave my a sudden need to vomit. Proud to pollute thread in my way of thinking.

osscar

winter is coming, probably I will end the season - this year since March - 4500 km driven.
My white bike without any problems - no flat tires etc., I only changed the chain and brake pads at 3500 km

Attachments

• DSC-2041.jpg
    DSC-2041.jpg
    848.9 KB · Views: 49

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
IMG_20231214_132653.jpg

IMG_20231215_134516.jpg

IMG_20231213_140609.jpg

Temperature is -15°C now. I use the ebike because in the snow it is not possible with my other bikes.

Go to the factory and back home, around 20km. Such a joy in the fresh snow, finally this bike found his place.

Other guys at the factory don't understand why I don't buy a car. The truth is they don't know how happy I am.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20231221_190233.jpg

Probably my last new racing bike at 65.
I dont't know why but at year end prices dropped considerably more than average here in Holland:facepalm:

Last edited:

Moonhead

View attachment 337559

Probably one of my last new racing bike at 65.
I dont't know why but at year end priced dropped considerably more than average here in Holland:facepalm:
Last April I bought a lightweight aluminium Stevens, its a fine bike but I wished I had opt for the Fenix, Ridley seems like really reallly great bikes!

Attachments

• IMG_0193.jpeg
    IMG_0193.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 27

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last April I bought a lightweight aluminium Stevens, its a fine bike but I wished I had opt for the Fenix, Ridley seems like really reallly great bikes!
Thats a coincedent i damaged my Stevens Xenon severe some months ago great bike very light. Reasons to buy the Ridley;
1 Ridley carbon build from high quality Toray carbon where they build parts for Boeing an the F35 fighter jets for instance https://www.toraycma.com/products/carbon-fiber/
2 Disk brakes
3 Full Ultegra parts
4 Cabels internally in stearing cokpit
5 Just 1999,- euro's
6 Last but not least, excellent way to stay
healthy and in good shape while it lasts.:p

Attachments

• IMG_20231005_094836.jpg
    IMG_20231005_094836.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Moonhead

Thats a coincedent i damaged my Stevens Xenon severe some months ago great bike very light. Reasons to buy the Ridley;
1 Ridley carbon build from best quality Toray carbon where they build parts for Boeing an the F35 jet for instance https://www.toraycma.com/products/carbon-fiber/
2 Full Integra
3 Cabels internally,
4.Just 1990,- euro's
Man... hope you didnt get hurt, I went down 3 times in less than 1 month, so holidays spent recovering... Stevens survived!
Thx for link.

Top Bottom