• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD650 Review (Headphone)

SpaceMonkey

sorry if this was already covered, but I have ipad pro 2021 and apple usb-c dongle. Would that be enough to drive these headphones?

thanks!
Where are you? In EU max out 1v - might be a bit low. In the USA could be enough because dongles there can do 2volts. The funny thing is that 560s has a cable with a huge schlung of 6.3mm jack at the end. So to get 3.5mm you use an adapter included. So the whole thing will work just might be a bit non ergonomic.

staticV3

Master Contributor
sorry if this was already covered, but I have ipad pro 2021 and apple usb-c dongle. Would that be enough to drive these headphones?

thanks!
Officially the HD650 will do 108.2dBSPL/Vrms.

Amir measured 104.8
RAA measured 105.1
headphonetestlab measured 106.4
Solderdude measured 105.0
innerfidelity measured 103.8
->seems like about 105 is the HD650's real sensitivity

The Apple A2049 will output exactly 1.0Vrms, so the HD650 will produce about 105dBSPL max.
The Apple A2155 will output 0.5Vrms. Halve the voltage and you will lose 6dBSPL, so 99dBSPL max will be the result.

85 - safe
100 - moderate
110 - fairly loud
115 - very loud
120 - painful

As for whether the Apple dongle will be "enough" depends on which version of the dongle you have and on how loud you listen to music.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Where are you? In EU max out 1v - might be a bit low. In the USA could be enough because dongles there can do 2volts. The funny thing is that 560s has a cable with a huge schlung of 6.3mm jack at the end. So to get 3.5mm you use an adapter included. So the whole thing will work just might be a bit non ergonomic.
American Apple dongles can do 1.0Vrms (above 20Ω at least), EU ones are limited to 0.5Vrms:
Apple_A2049_max_output_before_clipping_vs_load.png

stanroz

I have a US Apple dongle… the highest I ever listened is 88db at peak ( movie sound effects, battle scenes)… so it sounds like I can do 650 with apple dongle… very happy to hear.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
How did you determine the 88dB peak level ?

stanroz

very unscientifically… I just listened to how loud I like it on my JBL 9.1 Soundbar which I measured from spl meter from seating position. i then set the level to subjectively have same effect on headphones.

Other examples are: on my ipad pro with usb c dongle connected to my akg k371 (very well reviewed here as I understand) I find 50% setting very comfortable for movies and music…

Now I understand that Akg 371 closed end and sennheiser 650 open end are very different sensitivity and impedance but I just want to give an example that I don’t believe I really crank the volume up…. at least I don’t think I do…

Robin L

Master Contributor
very unscientifically… I just listened to how loud I like it on my JBL 9.1 Soundbar which I measured from spl meter from seating position. i then set the level to subjectively have same effect on headphones.

Other examples are: on my ipad pro with usb c dongle connected to my akg k371 (very well reviewed here as I understand) I find 50% setting very comfortable for movies and music…

Now I understand that Akg 371 closed end and sennheiser 650 open end are very different sensitivity and impedance but I just want to give an example that I don’t believe I really crank the volume up…. at least I don’t think I do…
The issue with the Sennheiser HD 650 is not so much the volume levels with low-power sources, but the lack of bass without PEQ and extra "juice". I've got no problem playing back chamber music or most Jazz with my Drop 6XX connected to the dinky Fiio M3K DAP, but if the music involves a lot of bass, the 650s need more power and eq. The AKG 371 'phones don't. They are also closed back which makes them better for music on the go.

Last edited:

stanroz

I see… I will have to test it myself on my material then… I would really prefer to deal with headphones that don’t require a separate dac/amplifier (except for apple US dongles) Currently I have AKG K371 for closed end and Philips X2HR for open end. The latter I understand did not get a good review here so always looking for improvement when money becomes available.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I see… I will have to test it myself on my material then… I would really prefer to deal with headphones that don’t require a separate dac/amplifier (except for apple US dongles) Currently I have AKG K371 for closed end and Philips X2HR for open end. The latter I understand did not get a good review here so always looking for improvement when money becomes available.
The Philips X2HR is good with Jazz. That slightly harsh reproduction of the lower treble seems to work well with brass. However, given my druthers, my first choice is my Drop 6XX: bass or no bass, it sounds better.

stanroz

for me my primary material is movies and even in music listening, movie scores is my favorite music genre…

For Windows users using 'Equalizer APO':

For more info, see List of Amir's Headphone PEQ filters.
Hello, today came my first serious new headphones - 6xx which I realized are pretty much the same as the 650.

I have the equalizer - but need help.

How am I supposed to run these filters? What to click on? I would love a picture or an explanation if it is not difficult for you my friend.
I would greatly appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Boris

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Hello, today came my first serious new headphones - 6xx which I realized are pretty much the same as the 650.

I have the equalizer - but need help.

How am I supposed to run these filters? What to click on? I would love a picture or an explanation if it is not difficult for you my friend.
I would greatly appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Boris
I show a video of how to import them in the thread:

Palex

Officially the HD650 will do 108.2dBSPL/Vrms.

Amir measured 104.8
RAA measured 105.1
headphonetestlab measured 106.4
Solderdude measured 105.0
innerfidelity measured 103.8
->seems like about 105 is the HD650's real sensitivity

The Apple A2049 will output exactly 1.0Vrms, so the HD650 will produce about 105dBSPL max.
The Apple A2155 will output 0.5Vrms. Halve the voltage and you will lose 6dBSPL, so 99dBSPL max will be the result.

85 - safe
100 - moderate
110 - fairly loud
115 - very loud
120 - painful

As for whether the Apple dongle will be "enough" depends on which version of the dongle you have and on how loud you listen to music.
Good afternoon - please tell me, Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter - what is the output number -1V?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Max 1V (depends on the region you live in, in EU it will be less).
Some dongles can go higher, using balanced cables and balanced outputs you can reach up to 3.5V (enough for loud levels)
No idea if it works with Apple or whether or not a camera adapter is needed (I don't own any apple devices).

Note peak SPL in music is not the same as average SPL, A weighted (which is often used in noise type measurements)

Last edited:

Palex

"The Apple A2049 will output exactly 1.0Vrms, so the HD650 will produce about 105dBSPL max.
The Apple A2155 will output 0.5Vrms. Halve the voltage and you will lose 6dBSPL, so 99dBSPL max will be the result." -
is this the marking for USB-C ? For Lightning, what is the marking (model number)?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"The Apple A2049 will output exactly 1.0Vrms, so the HD650 will produce about 105dBSPL max.
The Apple A2155 will output 0.5Vrms. Halve the voltage and you will lose 6dBSPL, so 99dBSPL max will be the result." -
is this the marking for USB-C ? For Lightning, what is the marking (model number)?
Any Apple dongle sold through regular legitimate channels in Europe (inc. UK) is going to be the lower voltage one. It's cheap, but 0.5v is just hard to recommend.

For the HD650 reconsider bothering with the Apple dongle (even the higher output one) at all:
Amir's review of Apple USB-C dongle (1v RMS)
Switching to high-impedance 300 ohm Sennheiser HD-650 nearly killed performance. The sound was OK but bass is week and dynamic range just not there. Here my reference is more powerful desktop and battery operated portables.

Tempotec Sonata HD Pro might be enough and isn't very expensive (AliExpress, Tempotec Official Store):
Amir's review Tempotec SHDPro
I was pleased with the performance of the unit with my Sennheiser HD-650 high impedance test headphone. For the other extreme, I use the 25 ohm Drop Ether CX headphone. Here, I only had adequate amount of power so not quite enough for me.

Cylphio

thanks!
absolutely not enough. the dongle give only 1 volt. these need at least 3v to give a satisfying level

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Prolonged exposure to an average 120dB SPL ... sure.
In music short peaks can reach 120dB SPL in the low bass without anyone thinking this is loud.

There is a difference between peak SPL in music and average A-weighted sound levels.

Whether or not one feels 1V is enough for HD650 totally depends on how loud one plays their music.
When you want to turn it up very loud for a short while without ever reaching clipping I actually measured peak voltages of 15Vpp (so 5.3Vrms = 117dB peaks, 105dB average) so 120dB SPL peak is a good target when you never will be left wanting for more and never having to ask yourself if you might not have enough power. Clean and powerful sound.

Normally one only listens at levels well below 1V for longer listening sessions with the goal to enjoy music.

For 1V the HD650 ends up with RMS levels of 90dB (average) can be reached with 2.63Vpp = 930mVrms = 102dB peak.
Not theorized but actually measured.

Cylphio

3Vrms will result in about 120dB SPL. That can cause immediate hearing damage. Are you sure you know what you're talking about?
I'm talking of tech specs, Vpp, not rms. The last dbs on headphones require exponentially more quantity of power. Try to be informed before you post.

Top Bottom