• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 39.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 229 53.6%

• Total voters

asrUser

Using Oratory EQ at first the HD560S' bass sounded bloated and muddy. Now after 15 hours of burn-in the bass became tighter. Not bad so far for those budget priced headphones! Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X and probably DT 900 Pro X are great headphones too, but they're not as spacious as HD560S for my ears.

D

Deleted member 60987

They would make good headphones for work. Comfortable, warm, relaxed. But not terribly dramatic or immersive. You wouldn't rock out in 560. But they are definitely smooth.

D

Deleted member 60987

Headphones do not burn in: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/break-in

But ear pads will over time conform to the shape of your head and your brain will get used to the sound.
Yeah, I attempted that on a bunch a few weeks ago and didn't notice any difference. Then read what a goofy idea it is. The drivers are plastic and metal. The only thing that can change is the pads breaking in a bit. I don't know who came up with the idea of burning in headphones. Or why it persists.

asrUser

You can also use it balanced. You would need a balanced (aftermarket) cable though like the one you linked to.
I got one recently, but the connectors are weird:

TRRS | XLR-4
T -> 1
R1 -> 3
R2 -> 2; 4
S -> 2: 4

Wtf?! Should I burn my amp alive? I'm not sure if HD 560S is really ready for balanced as I see this link. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheisser-hd560s-balanced.962062/
Also leaving this link for reference. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/3-5mm-and-2-5mm-trrs-balanced-cable-questions.869527/

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm not sure if HD 560S is really ready for balanced as I see this link.

Sennheiser plug in the HD560S:
Tip = L+
Ring1 = R+
Ring2 = L-
Sleeve = R-

Ring 2
and Sleeve are not connected in the headphone.
They are, of course, when measuring the cable as they are connected in the 6.3mm plug.

XLR-4 should be:
1: L+
2: L-
3: R+
4: R-

Looks like the cable connects R2 and Sleeve ?
When you measure the cable when not plugged into anything does is measure:

Tip = 1
Ring1 = 3
Ring2 = 2
Sleeve = 4
No connection between 2 and 4 ?

asrUser

Sennheiser plug in the HD560S:
XLR-4 male plug: Pin 2 and 4 are connected to each other / short-circuit
As mentioned above the TRRS of my cable is all over the place and not properly connected according to your post. It's good I measured before plugging in that damn thing! :eek:

I corrected your post
Tip = 1
Ring1 = 3
Ring2 = 2 and 4
Sleeve = 2 and 4

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Return the cable or...
Open the XLR connector.
See if the manufacturer used 3-wire cable or 4-wire cable.
When they used 3-wire cable put the XLR-4 connector back together and return the item.
When there is a 4-wire cable solder the wires to the proper pins.

asrUser

Guess I will open a dispute and resolder it later.

asrUser

Ring 2 and Sleeve are not connected in the headphone.
They are, of course, when measuring the cable as they are connected in the 6.3mm plug.
But when they're not connected to the headphone the HD560s would only be able to work Single Ended? I just don't get it. So XLR-4 should be out of the question anyway, shouldn't it?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When the Sennheiser TRRS connector is wired properly in the cable (so each connector pin their own wire) it is just a matter of correctly soldering the individual wires to the XLR-4 plug.
You cannot do this when, for some cost saving or ignorant reason, the cable itself is 3-wire.
Still... there are some amps with an XLR-4 output just for convenience. These have the pin 2 and 4 in the XLR plug tied to ground.

The HD560S can be used balanced (with the right cable) and SE (with the right cable).

You can also cut the 6.3mm connector from the original cable and solder an XLR-4 connector to it. The Sennheiser cable is 4-wire internally.

I corrected your post
My post does not need correcting. I merely stated how a correctly made balanced cable should measure.

Last edited:

asrUser

When the Sennheiser TRRS connector is wired properly in the cable (so each connector pin their own wire) it is just a matter of correctly soldering the individual wires to the XLR-4 plug.
You cannot do this when, for some cost saving or ignorant reason, the cable itself is 3-wire.
My cable is 4 core / 4 wired as I linked before. https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005540737789.html
My amp comes with XLR-4 not for convenience. It's really balanced. A Jot2 is a balanced amp while also providing 6,3 mm for SE option. So is the HD560s able to run balanced with my cable if correctly soldered?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes.

Check with the cable when not connected to anything if the wiring is as I described above. Pin 2 and 4 of the XLR should NOT be connected.
When there is open up the connectors and see if 2 wires are accidentally shorted.

When O.K. plug the cable into the headphone and check that there is no connection between 2 and 4 (XLR).
There should be one driver between 1 and 2 and another driver between 3 and 4.

Last edited:

aliaksej

hi, guys! At the moment testing HD 660s. WOnderful headphones with a little lack of treble.

I wonder whether HD 560s are possible to be equalized to more flat sounding profile. For me they sound bright.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can EQ HD560S, or when EQ is not possible use a passive filter.
HD660S2 has a tiny bit more treble.
You can also EQ the HD660 in which case there is no real need to buy another headphone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hi, guys! At the moment testing HD 660s. WOnderful headphones with a little lack of treble.

I wonder whether HD 560s are possible to be equalized to more flat sounding profile. For me they sound bright.

If you havent try Oratory1990s eq profile. Note it has 4 filters he suggests varying the gain of to taste. I suspect this might sort you out, especially if you fiddle with bands 5 and 10 to taste

aliaksej

If you havent try Oratory1990s eq profile. Note it has 4 filters he suggests varying the gain of to taste. I suspect this might sort you out, especially if you fiddle with bands 5 and 10 to taste

I tried an equalizer with HD 660s and it works fine. But I need to use 660s also with my synthesizer and this is where treble lacks and makes synth stuff sound dull... That's why I'm contemplating on 560s again )))

Top Bottom