• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560S Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 25 5.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 169 39.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 226 53.3%

• Total voters

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just got the HD400 Pro, which I happened to find at a lower price than the 560s, somehow. I've read occasional reports of driver matching issues. What would be a good way to check if the matching on my pair is within what's considered normal for a headphone of this price class? I know the usual sine sweep method over at audiocheck.net, but are there other tests you guys like to run on new headphones in general, to check for QC or build issues before a return window runs out?

Since you only want to check whether or not the R and L channels are matched well, a simple flat plate measurement device can work for that application.

Listening tests can help to know whether or not the delivered channel matching is grossly problematic or not, but a difference may not arise from a manufacturing defect if it arises from the interaction between the headphones and your own anatomy (head, ears, etc.).

Phosphenetre

Since you only want to check whether or not the R and L channels are matched well, a simple flat plate measurement device can work for that application.

Listening tests can help to know whether or not the delivered channel matching is grossly problematic or not, but a difference may not arise from a manufacturing defect if it arises from the interaction between the headphones and your own anatomy (head, ears, etc.).

I don't have access to measurement devices, unfortunately. I think the listening test, with a second pass reversing the channels to ascertain whether the drivers or my ears are creating the perceived imbalance, may be the best thing I can do now.

Any other standard listening tests to 'check' new headphones for potential QC or manufacturing issues, that you or the community tends to do?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Use a mono signal when you want to determine imbalance.
When it differs (pulls to the left or right) with only 1 headphone and not with others it might well be the headphone.
Impossible to do with stereo.

Phosphenetre

Use a mono signal when you want to determine imbalance.
When it differs (pulls to the left or right) with only 1 headphone and not with others it might well be the headphone.
Impossible to do with stereo.
Yep, mono. I realised I should have said swapping the sides of the headphone on my ears rather than reversing channels.

nyxnyxnyx

anyone here prefers hd560s over hd600/650/660s? if yes/no, then why do you feel that way?

MayaTlab

anyone here prefers hd560s over hd600/650/660s? if yes/no, then why do you feel that way?

No. I've only tried one sample but the one I tried is tilted too bright in the 100-3kHz range for me. Conversely the HD6... series is tilted a little warmer than I'd like in that range, but that's a much more tolerable fault for me as it isn't fatiguing to listen to.
Treble is a bit messy and harder to EQ to satisfaction than the HD600/650s I've tried or owned as well.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have both 560S and 660S and I prefer 560S because it's more comfortable and can go louder (has less distortion at high SPL).

Prefer is just preference. That can go in all kinds of directions depending on one's preference. With a filter reducing the excess 'clarity' I like the spatial qualities and tonality of the HD560S over that of a HD650.
When both are EQ'ed to roughly the same tonality the HD650 sounds a bit 'smoother' but not as wide. Similar but not the same.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, for me an EQ'd HD560s is better than EQ'd HD600. The HD560s can do the bass up to Harman levels with EQ with good definition in that bass, but if I do the same Harman bass levels using EQ on the HD600 then the bass is not well defined and sounds loose & undefined. The HD560s also has a bigger soundstage than the HD600. HD560s also has better imaging within that soundstage. After EQ both HD560s & HD600 perform the same above bass in terms of general sound quality and detail/resolution.

Joffy1780

Just picked up a pair for £130 which, given the performance without EQ is phenomenal value IMO, and have them paired with an SMSL C200 which drives them to ear bleeding levels, very happy with the combo.
Started a trial with Roon so I can compare with and without EQ, but as Roon doesn't have Amazon HD support I will likely not be continuing after the trial. Can anyone recommend the best windows compatible PEQ and where to download please?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just picked up a pair for £130 which, given the performance without EQ is phenomenal value IMO, and have them paired with an SMSL C200 which drives them to ear bleeding levels, very happy with the combo.
Started a trial with Roon so I can compare with and without EQ, but as Roon doesn't have Amazon HD support I will likely not be continuing after the trial. Can anyone recommend the best windows compatible PEQ and where to download please?
That's a good price! Yeah, good headphones. Here's a list of all kinds of EQ options for different platforms:
For PC I'd probably recommend you EqualiserAPO used with Peace. Click on the Peace link first and that should tell you how to get it installed & up & running. It applies your EQ at system wide level so will be applied to everything, which is useful.

Joffy1780

That's a good price! Yeah, good headphones. Here's a list of all kinds of EQ options for different platforms:
For PC I'd probably recommend you EqualiserAPO used with Peace. Click on the Peace link first and that should tell you how to get it installed & up & running. It applies your EQ at system wide level so will be applied to everything, which is useful.
Brilliant, thank you very much!!

sbronf

I'm sorry but is hd650s written in roon's equalizer screen a mistake?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone, I did an EQ for the HD560s for use with an RME DAC over at the following link. The curiosity with the RME DAC is that it includes it's own parametric EQ filters, but only allows 7 filters, of which 2 of them have to be Shelf Filters (a Low Shelf & High Shelf):
Oratory doesn't currently have an RME EQ for these headphones. This EQ is based on his latest measurement.

EDIT: my own preference for this headphone is around a -1.5dB linear tilt on something close to this EQ I'm posting (vs the Harman EQ) as well as boosting 20Hz subbass to Harman levels.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if this headphone was measured by Harman in their research?
Nope, it couldn't have possibly been included in any of their research for the 2018 Harman Curve because the HD560s was only launched quite recently - late Summer 2020.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope, it couldn't have possibly been included in any of their research for the 2018 Harman Curve because the HD560s was only launched quite recently - late Summer 2020.
I wonder if something out there is using that fixture still and taking measurements

Top Bottom