• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the peace for?
I just pasted the filters from your link in a file input to equalizer apo editor and it seems to work. Am I missing on something doing it this way?
Just a more user friendly front end for EAPO.

GalZohar

Thanks. Seems like I managed with just text file. I tried to A/B with/without eq and the eq does sound slightly better, althouth the eq and no eq were easily distinguishable due to the bass boost. I tried without the lowest frequency boost and still seem to have prefered the eq being on.

Overall they sound way better than the G35 but still rather weird compared to my budget home theater system, which is to be expected (at least in the bass which obviously can't compete with a sub or even 6.5" woofers). Still don't have the gc7 but will try trial versions of thx and dolby surround until it arrives.

tr1ple6

What do they do to make it refurbished? Do you or anybode else here have experience with Sennheiser refurbished headphones?
Not sure what they do exactly but I bought a refurbished pair and they are as good as new. The only sign that they weren't new was the fact that I could tell the box had previously been opened.

D

Deleted member 23424

FFS! Spent all day eyeing up HD5602 and K702, decided on the Senns, went through the whole order process for a refurb pair on the above link only to be told We Only Deliver To Europe..... I CAN DEAL WITH THE FUEL SHORTAGES, FOOD SHORTAGES, TOILET ROLL SHORTAGES, ROADKILL DINNERS AND POST APOCALYPTIC COLLAPSE OF SOCIETY BUT THIS BREXIT BOLLOCKS HAS GONE TOO FAR NOW!

Screenshot_20211217-010826_Gallery-01.jpeg

Screenshot_20211217-011437_Gallery.jpg

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FFS! Spent all day eyeing up HD5602 and K702, decided on the Senns, went through the whole order process for a refurb pair on the above link only to be told We Only Deliver To Europe..... I CAN DEAL WITH THE FUEL SHORTAGES, FOOD SHORTAGES, TOILET ROLL SHORTAGES, ROADKILL DINNERS AND POST APOCALYPTIC COLLAPSE OF SOCIETY BUT THIS BREXIT BOLLOCKS HAS GONE TOO FAR NOW!

View attachment 172982

View attachment 172983
yea that Brexit is bollocks and I'm not even a Brit but have heard plenty of people being affected by it.

D

Deleted member 23424

yea that Brexit is bollocks and I'm not even a Brit but have heard plenty of people being affected by it.
I don't want to open up that there political can of worms, this isn't the place, but it's hard getting used to everything having changed over night and things I'd taken for granted no longer being possible.

Ironically my next best price available is £135, from Thomann, a German stockist, from Germany, in the EU.

Jr_gn

I will keep you informed if its lame or OK. I also wonder where these devices come from...

An update... orderdate + 5days. Still no headphone. #rantwarning

Most postal services function like Swiss clockwork over here. Except... UPS. So here we are. Package is lost. Has been delivered to the wrong address. I didn't pay a premium price, I can't expect a premium service... but I can't recall this ever happened to me. And I order a lot online. A lot like.. a lot lot. Lot lot lot. I'm from Belgium, if I buy at Amazon.de, takes 2 days. Amazon.fr. 1 day. Amazon.nl. 1 day. Never lost a package. But if there is trouble... and if I'm forced to fetch a parcel myself at their depot or one of the stores they leave packages behind... you can bet on it that it will be a UPS delivery. Today I had to call UPS only to be told that the package had been deliver to a wrong address. I tried their website first, but... nobody seems to be able to log in. So far UPS. Really. So Sennheiser Germany... big thumbs down. Do not use UPS. I repeat: do not use UPS. Just have us pay 15 EUR, and use the German alternative called DPD.

Hope the headphone is worth the stress;

Last edited:

Jr_gn

An other update. Filed a claim at UPS. UPS has classified and admitted they have lost the package, and that I have to address Sennheiser myself.
So in other words "Shit happens, we don't care, you are on your own, deal with it". Contacted Sennheiser. Up to today not a single reaction from Sennheiser.

I wouldn't exactly recommend buying directly from Sennheiser iow..

eom

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An other update. Filed a claim at UPS. UPS has classified and admitted they have lost the package, and that I have to address Sennheiser myself.
So in other words "Shit happens, we don't care, you are on your own, deal with it". Contacted Sennheiser. Up to today not a single reaction from Sennheiser.

I wouldn't exactly recommend buying directly from Sennheiser iow..

eom
Wow, sucks, and feel bad that you've had such a bad experience with the purchase process. Hopefully Sennheiser can rectify it for you.

GalZohar

Anyone used Sound Blaster SXFI with these headphones? It seems to make sound really bad, and I can't say if it's the SXFI in general or how SXFI works specifically with these headphones.

mysiak

Anyone used Sound Blaster SXFI with these headphones? It seems to make sound really bad, and I can't say if it's the SXFI in general or how SXFI works specifically with these headphones.
Yes, I use SXFI from time to time (depending on my mood and content). These headphones behave practically the same as any other I've tried (Beyerdynamic COP, Custom Studio, Fostex T50RP, Koss Porta Pro, Fiio and other IEMs, all of them with generic profile) - sub bass gets elevated and sounds come from all around me (at the cost of a bit too much reverb). IMHO HD560s are not any better or worse with SXFI than other headphones. If you don't like how SXFI sounds and you already tried taking a couple of profiles under different lighting conditions, maybe SXFI isn't for you.

GalZohar

Yes, I use SXFI from time to time (depending on my mood and content). These headphones behave practically the same as any other I've tried (Beyerdynamic COP, Custom Studio, Fostex T50RP, Koss Porta Pro, Fiio and other IEMs, all of them with generic profile) - sub bass gets elevated and sounds come from all around me (at the cost of a bit too much reverb). IMHO HD560s are not any better or worse with SXFI than other headphones. If you don't like how SXFI sounds and you already tried taking a couple of profiles under different lighting conditions, maybe SXFI isn't for you.
Some claim it will sound bad on headphones with no presets. Others have success with generic profile.
I tried re-taking ear photos, but got even worse sound. It seems excessively filtered/eqed, and I think this is in addition (and not due) to the reverberations. I couldn't find advice on how to tell if the photos are good or not, but they seemed to make sense both times (with the 2nd sounding worse).

With SBX, surround on/off only makes a small negative impact on quality in order to get quite accurate surround effecr.

Moonhead

Anybody tested HD560S against Focal Elex or Hifiman Ananada. Thx!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some claim it will sound bad on headphones with no presets. Others have success with generic profile.
I tried re-taking ear photos, but got even worse sound. It seems excessively filtered/eqed, and I think this is in addition (and not due) to the reverberations. I couldn't find advice on how to tell if the photos are good or not, but they seemed to make sense both times (with the 2nd sounding worse).

With SBX, surround on/off only makes a small negative impact on quality in order to get quite accurate surround effecr.
If you can, try a Diffuse Field EQ combined with SBX from Soundblaster (and you're in the right ballpark with your SBX 33 although this will be personal & headphone unit based), it gives me the best results, find attached at the end of the post an Equaliser APO config file for Diffuse Field EQ (based on combined measurements from Oratory/Resolve/Crinacle).
HD560s Diffuse Field EQ.jpg

I consistently find Diffuse Field EQ's to be most accurate for 3D gaming, perhaps because it doesn't add any room influence & allows the game to add the environmental effects. I'm more & more finding my HD560s to be the best gaming headphone I have (I bought a second one too). Diffuse Field EQ looks kinda crazy, but it works well on my K702 too for gaming (obviously a Diffuse Field EQ specific for K702), I'd say it's the best EQ for 3D Virtual Surround gaming - Diffuse Field EQ.

EDIT: I certainly don't advise Diffuse Field EQ's for music listening, but I do for 3D Virtual Surround gaming.

EDIT #2: As a loose observation I also find that increased headphone use for 3D gaming has a side effect of making headphone music listening more realistic spatially - I think your brain adapts to headphones in a 'spatial' way when gaming which translates further when listening to music on said headphones. The more you listen to speakers the more you realise that headphones are quite far removed from that experience, but your brain does adapt to headphones, and 3D gaming on headphones turbocharges that spatial conversion effect. I recently moved into a new house and I think it's pretty darn good acoustically for good speakers.....which solidifies my realisation that it's tough for headphones to match the accuracy of say female voices & violins and also the tactile bass......but 3D gaming on headphones is a good way to train your brain to accepting a good sounding headphone.

EDIT #3: to be clear I recommend headphone music listening to be done with Harman EQ (not Diffuse Field) and no virtual surround processing active.

Attachments

• HD560s Diffuse All.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

GalZohar

What does diffuse field EQ actually do? I found my ability to tell directions without eq and sbx surround on 33 to already be quite good (comparable or better than my old G35 headset, which was already surprisingly good and better than razer thx/atmos/sonic). Oratory eq made a tiny difference that I would need effort to regocnize in a blind test, and even that is mostly due to spotting the slight bass differences. For directions I used some Arma 3 scripting to generate some effective blind tests.

Compared to speakers it seems by far the biggest difference is the bass, ehile the bass on the HD560S is nice, it doesn't come close to 6.5" woofers of my HT speakers, not to mention the 12" subwoofer. IMO this greatly shadows any other difference. However my HT system is just 4.1, and while the fronts are placed "by the book", the rears aren't, so it can't really match virtual surround direction-wise. Plus I prefer to game in front of a desk on an ergonomic chair usibg a keyboard and mouse, which again makes headphones preferable.

aandres_gm

View attachment 172982

View attachment 172983
I could forward them to you, if you want. Just shoot me a PM

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What does diffuse field EQ actually do?

It is simply EQ based on a different correction/target curve.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Diffuse field compensation is intended for using HATS measurements in echoic rooms. It is not the correct method for measuring headphones.
Many years back it was mostly used by lack of anything better and is actually following a standard.
Headphones do not remotely act like diffuse field space measurements do.

Headphones are not meant as an alternative to speakers. They are a (quite) different way of reproducing music. Some like it, some don't.

Top Bottom