• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool, yeah, you can't really judge fine differences without having both headphones side by side.

Additionally, you might wanna try @Maiky76 's EQ in the post at the following link, I like the look of it and it's exact to the Harman Curve, plus it's based on your measured unit, so you can afford to be aggressive with the EQ because you know it's actually the reality of your unit:
Yes, i'll be using his EQ to test it out further and see how they each compare.

Scrub_Set

I'm using these with a set of Dekoni choice leathers. I enjoy the bass response on these more than the 6xx but the 6xx is "easier" to listen to. The real competition for these headphones in my fleet is the Focal Elear because both don't need an amp to be used with my work laptop. Elear is more shouty for sure, but bass hits harder. I would definitely recommend the 560s with Dekoni Choice leathers for a set of Post Hardcore cans.

Green Tea

I recently bought a new pair of headphones - Sennheiser HD560S. After listening to some songs I realised that some of them sounded distorted on lower frequencies. I connected the headphones to my smartphone and interestingly the songs sounded better there, but still not good enough. I decided to buy the external sound card "Sharkoon DAC Pro S V2" which got good ratings on the internet.
After I got them I had to realise that the distortions were still there, although less hearable.

Distortion example (Blind Guardian, In the Underworld):
1:53 and 4:50-5:02

- Do these passages sound distorted on your audio equipment as well?
- Do I need even a better soundcard for these songs? Like a Soundblaster G6?

Additionally, the Sharkoon amplifies too much. I don't listen to very loud music so now I am quite close to the lowest possible volume (6/100). And adjusting the volume slider a little bit has suddenly a big impact on the volume.

- What happens to the volume if I buy a soundcard with a better amplifier? Will I end up listening at volume 2/100?

usern

@Green Tea what kind of distortion do you hear? 1:53 seems like mastering error or intended overdrive / distortion in the right channel, 4:50-5:02 sounds fairly clean except vocals which seems mastering error.
Tested with
D30pro + JDS Atom + HD560S + Equalizer APO
D30pro + A30pro + 660S + Equalizer APO
Pretty much same on both, but I have a lot more equalized bass boost on 560S setup

I haven't listened content with so low frequencies so I'm yet again very impressed with 560S performance.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently bought a new pair of headphones - Sennheiser HD560S. After listening to some songs I realised that some of them sounded distorted on lower frequencies. I connected the headphones to my smartphone and interestingly the songs sounded better there, but still not good enough. I decided to buy the external sound card "Sharkoon DAC Pro S V2" which got good ratings on the internet.
After I got them I had to realise that the distortions were still there, although less hearable.

Distortion example (Blind Guardian, In the Underworld):
1:53 and 4:50-5:02

- Do these passages sound distorted on your audio equipment as well?
- Do I need even a better soundcard for these songs? Like a Soundblaster G6?

Additionally, the Sharkoon amplifies too much. I don't listen to very loud music so now I am quite close to the lowest possible volume (6/100). And adjusting the volume slider a little bit has suddenly a big impact on the volume.

- What happens to the volume if I buy a soundcard with a better amplifier? Will I end up listening at volume 2/100?
I noticed the distortion in those areas just as @usern mentioned in the previous post - it's definitely planned distortion in the track, nothing to do with the headphones or audio chain. My guess is that they've included the distortion to add to the confusing/dramatic/dystopian nature of those parts of the track, especially in the 4:50-5:02 section the distortion on the voice is juxtaposed vs the clearer quieter singing that happens immediately afterwards, so it's planned as part of the track, either way it's not your headphones or audio chain causing the problems.

Green Tea

I noticed the distortion in those areas just as @usern mentioned in the previous post - it's definitely planned distortion in the track, nothing to do with the headphones or audio chain. My guess is that they've included the distortion to add to the confusing/dramatic/dystopian nature of those parts of the track, especially in the 4:50-5:02 section the distortion on the voice is juxtaposed vs the clearer quieter singing that happens immediately afterwards, so it's planned as part of the track, either way it's not your headphones or audio chain causing the problems.
Thank you two a lot for the quick response! This helped.

Jr_gn

Have you thought about trying to buy them again (from another outlet perhaps) so you can finally get your ears on a pair of HD560s? I think they're worth it.

Well... I actually got a Philips Fidelio X2HR because there was a serious discount on Amazon.nl. It was a bit of a second choice, but I end up liking the sound, build quality, feel (clamping force) very very much. They are hanging next to me under my desk and use them daily.

I might end up buying a second headphone, then the HD560s . My alibi... I have a second desk, I can't be hauling around headphones in my home ofcourse. ;-)

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... I actually got a Philips Fidelio X2HR because there was a serious discount on Amazon.nl. It was a bit of a second choice, but I end up liking the sound, build quality, feel (clamping force) very very much. They are hanging next to me under my desk and use them daily.

I might end up buying a second headphone, then the HD560s . My alibi... I have a second desk, I can't be hauling around headphones in my home ofcourse. ;-)
X2HR are supposed to be good for soundstage, which is one of the HD560s strengths too. Technically the X2HR doesn't measure as competently as the HD560s (in both frequency response & distortion), but I'm quite certain a person could enjoy the X2HR.

AyeYoYoYO

560S is such an incredible value for those who want a really great stock FR & performance on a tight budget. Props to Sennheiser for such a dominant offering at their frequently discounted/secondhand price point.

And to be perfectly honest, I think the FR/signature of the 560S is quite noticeably superior to its bigger more expensive brother, the 660S.

Last edited:
Hello, I think I'm late to the party, but I can't take these things off since I tried them. The doctor said they might need to be surgically removed.

I am using nothing special with them, just a Fostex HP-A4 without drivers cause their delay sucks.
I don't know what it is about these cans, they are certainly not perfect and I sometimes wonder about things sounding weird, but then there are times when the sound seems pristine. Somehow they seem to be flat but also have some sort of personality.

Regardless, what DAC/amps would people recommend for them? Because I am always up for improvements.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I think I'm late to the party, but I can't take these things off since I tried them. The doctor said they might need to be surgically removed.

I am using nothing special with them, just a Fostex HP-A4 without drivers cause their delay sucks.
I don't know what it is about these cans, they are certainly not perfect and I sometimes wonder about things sounding weird, but then there are times when the sound seems pristine. Somehow they seem to be flat but also have some sort of personality.

Regardless, what DAC/amps would people recommend for them? Because I am always up for improvements.
There's probably not much to be gained from different headphone amplifiers as long as they're loud enough....I mean it's safest to use one of the good measuring headphone amps that Amir has measured because then you can be confident that things like channel balance / distortion / overall power are not an issue. You could use this database to find reviews for headphone amps done here on ASR:
I use the JDS Labs Atom and am very happy with it.

There's probably not much to be gained from different headphone amplifiers as long as they're loud enough....I mean it's safest to use one of the good measuring headphone amps that Amir has measured because then you can be confident that things like channel balance / distortion / overall power are not an issue. You could use this database to find reviews for headphone amps done here on ASR:
I use the JDS Labs Atom and am very happy with it.
Thanks!
Although what I would really like is a DAC/amp combo, unless maybe the on-board one is good enough, but I don't trust that stuff.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks!
Although what I would really like is a DAC/amp combo, unless maybe the on-board one is good enough, but I don't trust that stuff.
Amir has reviewed some of those, you can find them at that link I gave you too. It's a safer bet choosing one that has been measured here.

sfdoddsy

Is anyone else having comfort issues? I'm finding the headband rather irritating, but removal seems to entail tearing it off.

Is anyone else having comfort issues? I'm finding the headband rather irritating, but removal seems to entail tearing it off.

They got more clamping force than I normally like and I hear they break in after a while, but with the right setting they still fit me like a glove and I don't feel them anymore. Got them a few days ago.

However, I'm having an annoying cracking sound issue, probably to be expected with this material/build quality.
I am glad they spent 99% of the value on the drivers and I consider the chances of getting a replacement with the same behavior pretty high, so...

...anyone know any DYI fixes or at least have the same issue and know where exactly the sound is coming from?

I decided to give the Atom+ a whirl.

Anyone here with that combo? What do you think about it?
And what is everyone else using?

Last edited:

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
are any of us here owning hd560s and other widely-appreciated headphones like let's say Arya, focal clear, hd800s or other big names etc.... but still prefer 560s?
Just really want to hear more opinions and casual, personalized thoughts about these headphones.

Top Bottom