• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

When I've done my HD800 EQ I'll catch up with you to compare it to what you're using. I'll see if we share the same differences between HD560s and HD800 EQ's. Initially I'd say you prefer a fair bit less SPL between 1-2kHz. To be honest though, you're only giving it +3dB at 20Hz so I don't think that changes the tonality all that much, but combined with the your decreases 1.25Khz & 5kHz that would be quite significant I think. Perhaps you like a darker tilted headphone than me (but also with less bass and less pinna gain). I'll catch up with you when I've finished my HD800 EQ as it'll be interesting to see if our individual tastes span the same way between each of those headphones.
Yup- less or at pinna gain hump than Harman for me. The bass lift focused below the natural hump of the stock bass just fills it out a bit for me. A standard shelf filter @105 doesnt really work as it would still leave a hump around 70hz which isnt what I like- so need a peak.

Wanted to get rid of equipment stacks on the desk and tried to use just Audient iD4 with 560S, but that combo sounded different. Indeed it seems the high output impedance of iD4 coupled with impedance curve of 560S boosts both very high and low frequencies:
index.php

index.php
Audient iD4 has plenty power, but I got an amp with balanced inputs to connect to iD4 line out for better volume control and to ensure no headphone would be bottlenecked with iD4 headphone out. But the amp has near 0 output impedance and it sounded darker than iD4 - I preferred iD4 headphone sound so the solution was just to use high shelf EQ at around 10kHz with amp.

Thoughts on HD560S EQ'd to Harman 2024?
Screenshot_2024-03-19_at_12.png

graph.png

Rough(?) EQ with 6 filters
Preamp: -7.1 dB Filter 1: ON PK Fc 55 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 1.000 Filter 2: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q 0.710 Filter 3: ON PK Fc 125 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 0.900 Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1200 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.000 Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3200 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 2.000 Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4350 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 5.000 Vs
Oratory EQ
graph (1).png

different fixtures, different targets, tolerance bands for the target, production tolerances in the headphone, pad wear, seal, taste, coupling to actual ears and other factors all make this irrelevant.

The only thing this is relevant to is that exact headphone (or averages of measurements) is on that specific fixture and target.

As has been stated many times. You can use measurements as a starting point to EQ to a standard. You should adjust the EQ to taste from there.
Measurements are just measurements to standards not to someone's ears/circumstances.

different fixtures, different targets, tolerance bands for the target, production tolerances in the headphone, pad wear, seal, taste, coupling to actual ears and other factors all make this irrelevant.

The only thing this is relevant to is that exact headphone (or averages of measurements) is on that specific fixture and target.

As has been stated many times. You can use measurements as a starting point to EQ to a standard. You should adjust the EQ to taste from there.
Measurements are just measurements to standards not to someone's ears/circumstances.
I hear you, I just thought it was interesting to see Oratory's EQ applied to HD560S 5128 measurement and new Harman target. Not saying it's concrete gospel...
People can make of it what they wish, it's just data.

Does any Squiglink user have this target already so that I can fool around with it? :D

Thoughts on HD560S EQ'd to Harman 2024?
View attachment 357812
View attachment 357813
Rough(?) EQ with 6 filters
Preamp: -7.1 dB Filter 1: ON PK Fc 55 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 1.000 Filter 2: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 7.5 dB Q 0.710 Filter 3: ON PK Fc 125 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 0.900 Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1200 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 2.000 Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3200 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 2.000 Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4350 Hz Gain -2.5 dB Q 5.000 Vs
Oratory EQ
View attachment 357814
Who's measurement is that on the B&K 5128? Do you know if it was New Version or Old Version HD560s measured on it? (When did they do the measurement & how many units measured?) Judging from the general trends in the measurement after Oratory EQ I think it might be an Old Version HD560s being measured. It might have been interesting or useful to have included the actual measurement in the graph too rather than just the EQ result. I can just about imagine that an Old Version HD560s could sound ballpark OK using your EQ.

Who's measurement is that on the B&K 5128? Do you know if it was New Version or Old Version HD560s measured on it? (When did they do the measurement & how many units measured?) Judging from the general trends in the measurement after Oratory EQ I think it might be an Old Version HD560s being measured. It might have been interesting or useful to have included the actual measurement in the graph too rather than just the EQ result. I can just about imagine that an Old Version HD560s could sound ballpark OK using your EQ.
graph (1).png

Measurement: here
Idk who else has measured it on 5128 besides Crin with 2 samples which I believe are old.
Does any Squiglink user have this target already so that I can fool around with it? :D
Linked above

View attachment 358026
Measurement: here
Idk who else has measured it on 5128 besides Crin with 2 samples which I believe are old.

Linked above
Resolve has measured it on B&K 5128. I don't think Crinacle has a 5128 yet, at least I can't find reference to it on his measurement graph database. If it was Resolve's measurement then it would the Old Version of HD560s as he measured that ages ago. So assuming that's an Old Version HD560s you've pictured there in your updated graph, then it's already not far away from that target for the B&K 5128 - it's really only the bass that's majorly different and a little extra hump at 3kHz. So given my experience with stock Old Version HD560s I'd expect an EQ to that target to sound ballpark OK still, but probably needing a bit less 3kHz, and maybe a bit less 4.5kHz, Resolve's measurement of HD560s on GRAS didn't show too much of a peak above Harman Target at 4.5kHz (not in comparison to other people's measurements), so yeah an average Old Version HD560s probably need both a bit less in the B&K Target at 3kHz and 4.5kHz given what I know.

All measurements made on any industry standard fixture (in any specific configuration they might come in) only comply to the used standard and ears don't.

Sure it may be fun to listen for differences in generated EQ and some of them may actually suit a specific owner a bit better (in sound balance result).

All measurements made on any industry standard fixture (in any specific configuration they might come in) only comply to the used standard and ears don't.

Sure it may be fun to listen for differences in generated EQ and some of them may actually suit a specific owner a bit better (in sound balance result).
There's gonna be some truth in that, but at least with the Harman Research that used something similar enough to the GRAS that Oratory & Amir uses and given Harman did Preference Studies to work out their preferred Target Curve, the Harman Curve, then there's good correlation between a headphone that conforms to Harman Curve and people's enjoyment of it, so they're not useless, but they're a good starting point as a base on which to do further EQ tweaking and sometimes can be an end point too if you're lucky. So, GRAS & the Harman Curve have that advantage over the B&K which doesn't have any thorough work behind the Target Curves, so that's a point in favour of GRAS & Harman vs B&K & Whatever.

Indeed measurements are absolutely not useless and the research is obviously valid but only applicable to that specific target and that specific fixture and that specific headphone on a specific position/circumstances/pad condition or, as in the case of oratory (different fixture) an average of some measurements.

Just stating that the research also has a preference band around the official 'target' and it depends on which Harman target (it changed over time) as well so the 'official Harman target' again is nothing more than a guideline to start from. Even Dr. Olive clearly states this.

Standards are handy for research (comparisons for researchers using the same fixture/circumstances). It is not the be all, end all holy curve that is the only correct way to get the perfect tonality on one's head. This too is clearly stated by Dr. Olive himself. It is a guideline to start from. Also Oratory clearly mentions this and even suggests which ones to play with.

Last edited:
Indeed measurements are absolutely not useless and the research is obviously valid but only applicable to that specific target and that specific fixture and that specific headphone on a specific position/circumstances/pad condition or, as in the case of oratory (different fixture) an average of some measurements.

Just stating that the research also has a preference band around the official 'target' and it depends on which Harman target (it changed over time) as well so the 'official Harman target' again is nothing more than a guideline to start from. Even Dr. Olive clearly states this.

Standards are handy for research (comparisons for researchers using the same fixture/circumstances). It is not the be all, end all holy curve that is the only correct way to get the perfect tonality on one's head. This too is clearly stated by Dr. Olive himself. It is a guideline to start from. Also Oratory clearly mentions this and even suggests which ones to play with.
Definitely a preference band associated with the bass level as Harman categorised a few patterns about what kind of listeners preferred different bass levels. But yeah, the Harman Target Curve for Headphones (say the 2018 curve we use here), is not the be all & end all, but it's an easy way to get good sound or close to it with just a bit of further tweaking (often just on the bass). It's got to be the easiest way to EQ a headphone in my experience, and the way I see it.

Yep, when digital EQ is possible and/or that EQ can actually be applied system wide.

Hello guys..i am new here and today i took my hd560s..
I read lot of things about them and i want to ask some questions..
Can i put mic to them or the different wire will change the quality of the sound??and can you suggest one cheap mic(40euros)
Need some adapter to put mic??
And last one,i must change eq with some app for better performance??
I just use them for gaming at Playstation 5..
Thank you for your time

Just bought them - I seem to have avoided them up to this point. They seem a bargain at this price.
I think they're even a bargain at the more expensive price too! You've probably read that there is a difference between the New Version HD560s and Old Version HD560s - me & @solderdude measured some differences. If you're going to EQ them using an Oratory EQ I'd therefore recommend you use my conversion EQ that changes New Version to Old Version and then combine that with the Oratory EQ, so at the following post link is the conversion EQ and some background on the topic:
Because Oratory's measurements are mainly based on the Old Version HD560s then it makes sense to "convert" New Version to Old Version before applying his EQ. In fact, because I'm sure Oratory has likely measured one or two unit of the New Version & combined that with his "many" units of Old Version measured then it also makes sense (if you're gonna be combining it with my Conversion EQ) to use an older version of Oratory's EQ which would have been based solely on the Old Version HD560s which would be the following Oratory EQ:
1711265194016.jpeg

So basically you'd just add the 3 filters in my conversion EQ to Oratory's list of filters that you can see in the above pic.

Hello guys..i am new here and today i took my hd560s..
I read lot of things about them and i want to ask some questions..
Can i put mic to them or the different wire will change the quality of the sound??and can you suggest one cheap mic(40euros)
Need some adapter to put mic??
And last one,i must change eq with some app for better performance??
I just use them for gaming at Playstation 5..
Thank you for your time
Any users here that can help & give advice to manos on mics as I don't use them?

(You could always use a seperately wired mic I suppose that is not part of the HD560s cable.)

I find it's not that necessary to EQ the New Version HD560s, so you're probably best off just using the headphone without any EQ modifications when attached to your Playstation 5. Although with a quick Google I found the following post on headfi where someone is using a Qudelix 5K dac/amp (that allows you to apply parametric EQ) and has that attached sucessfully to a Playstation 5 along with a mic:
Qudelix 5k is a really good DAC/amp though for it's flexibility with being able to provide in-built parametric EQ and it's been reviewed here on ASR, so it's a good product to get anyway if you want to EQ your headphones in times when you're not using a PC for instance:

Simplest option though is of course to use the HD560s at stock without any modification of any sort, which I think is acceptable given the good balance of this headphone when we're talking about the New Version HD560s. It can be made slightly better with EQ though.

I try them yesterday and the sound was great..thats why i worry if its change the sound with the wire of a mic..
And if someone used them in playstation 5,did he put the 3d audio on or off??
I dont want to give money for dac/amp..i want to have less possible wires to my desk.
Thanks again for your time..

Back
Top Bottom