• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a very good experience with Dekoni and Brainwavz ear pads on closed/semi open Beyerdynamic and Fostex headphones - those are less prone to drastic acoustic changes due to ear pad swapping (as long as ear pads share similar properties with stock ones).

I replaced HD560s ear pads due to comfort issues, so buying another pair from Sennheiser would not really achieve my goal. :)

Btw. Dekoni for example publishes measurements of their + stock earpads, so one can use these charts as a guide for additional EQ tuning if necessary.

Anyway, I believe that most folks are happy with these headphones as they are, I am just not one of them and I wanted to support the other unfortunate member who complained about lack of comfort.. :)
It's true that the closer the materials & dimensions are to the original pad then the closer the measurement. You can't translate measurements made by Dekoni unless they've been done on the same model of headphone, and possibly the same measurement device (eg GRAS) for best case. Even if they did it say on a flat plate before & after swapping pads, it still wouldn't be quite as valid as a before & after on a GRAS, in terms of you using the measurement differences to apply to your GRAS derived EQ.

mysiak

It's true that the closer the materials & dimensions are to the original pad then the closer the measurement. You can't translate measurements made by Dekoni unless they've been done on the same model of headphone, and possibly the same measurement device (eg GRAS) for best case. Even if they did it say on a flat plate before & after swapping pads, it still wouldn't be quite as valid as a before & after on a GRAS, in terms of you using the measurement differences to apply to your GRAS derived EQ.
I am aware of limitations of using different measurement systems, but even with GRAS there comes to play unit-to-unit & seating variations, so I don't take any measurements or recommended EQ settings as absolutely valid, but more as a guide to know which regions need the most "fixing". If I want to avoid listening fatigue I still need to tame my personal ear resonant treble peaks with many over the ear headphones anyway (frequency and gain differs between headphones/pads), so I just play with PEQ a little more if I use aftermarket pads. I most probably don't have 100% "accurate" sound, but if it's "close enough" and my ears/head don't hurt after hours of listening, I'm happy. :)

I found the issue that causes cracking sounds for some people.

The crease in front and above the rubber spacers makes contact with the ear cups which seems to cause both friction noise as well as impact noise.

I lubed the area with Krytox GPL-205G0, which I think is a good choice for lubing plastic near electronics, and the friction noise went away, only the rare impact noise remains during certain larger and easily reproduceable motions.

Obviously not a solution though, since your hair might come in contact with that area, but maybe someone has a better idea.

usern

The crease in front and above the rubber spacers makes contact with the ear cups which seems to cause both friction noise as well as impact noise.

I lubed the area with Krytox GPL-205G0, which I think is a good choice for lubing plastic near electronics, and the friction noise went away, only the rare impact noise remains during certain larger and easily reproduceable motions.
Could you show where this happens on a picture?

Could you show where this happens on a picture?
This area, but on the other side where it touches the ear cups.
It has a rubber spacer, and above the spacer is a plastic crease that can rub or impact against the plastic of the ear cups, especially in the front.
At first I thought it was the rubber spacer, but Sennheiser were smart enough to make it a material that doesn't create enough friction to cause audible noise from released tension.

Unfortunately the headband having loose parts can also create impact noise, but that kind of noise is less obnoxious as it requires bigger motion to trigger.

hd560s.png

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This area, but on the other side where it touches the ear cups.
It has a rubber spacer, and above the spacer is a plastic crease that can rub or impact against the plastic of the ear cups, especially in the front.
At first I thought it was the rubber spacer, but Sennheiser were smart enough to make it a material that doesn't create enough friction to cause audible noise from released tension.

Unfortunately the headband having loose parts can also create impact noise, but that kind of noise is less obnoxious as it requires bigger motion to trigger.

View attachment 183923
I not noticed any creaking in my HD560s, (I've got two pairs), certainly not once I've got them on my head anyway.

I not noticed any creaking in my HD560s, (I've got two pairs), certainly not once I've got them on my head anyway.
I think it might depend on the head.
To get these parts to rub against each other your head must be shaped in a way that pushes the ear cups against the frame, and then certain motions CAN twist the cups on the axis the mounting was not made for, but being plastic it still allows for a little movement.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it might depend on the head.
To get these parts to rub against each other your head must be shaped in a way that pushes the ear cups against the frame, and then certain motions CAN twist the cups on the axis the mounting was not made for, but being plastic it still allows for a little movement.
Maybe yeah, thanks for showing a fix for those effected (in your previous post https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eiser-hd560s-owners-thread.27208/post-1075008).

Coin3

Yes, thank you for detailing the issue so well! I have noticed creaking on my pair sometimes, but I never thought too hard about what could be causing it. I'll have to see if I can lubricate that area as you described without making a mess.

Yes, thank you for detailing the issue so well! I have noticed creaking on my pair sometimes, but I never thought too hard about what could be causing it. I'll have to see if I can lubricate that area as you described without making a mess.

Be careful with what you use because a) it might damage the drivers if it creates vapors and b) you will probably get it in your hair, so use something made for electronics.
Also, if it's a creaking or higher-pitch cracking rather than a lower-pitch sound, it might be within the headband. At least that's where it comes from in mine, but only sometimes when putting them on.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone run across a good, 4' long, non-microphonic cable for these headphones?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone run across a good, 4' long, non-microphonic cable for these headphones?
I use this one:

That one is 1.5m rather than the 1.2m that you asked for, but they also do that one in 1.2m (just click on the options to the right of the pick to select the length). It's a little bit microphonic, but I've only noticed it if it rubs against an exposed zip on your clothing, otherwise it's been fine for me. It's true that the stock cable is too long and I end up rolling my chair over it, hence me getting a shorter cable.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DarrylG

I use this one:

That one is 1.5m rather than the 1.2m that you asked for, but they also do that one in 1.2m (just click on the options to the right of the pick to select the length). It's a little bit microphonic, but I've only noticed it if it rubs against an exposed zip on your clothing, otherwise it's been fine for me. It's true that the stock cable is too long and I end up rolling my chair over it, hence me getting a shorter cable.
Thanks, I see they have the same cable- at least the photo is the same- on Amazon USA under the "New Fantasia" brand. I have part of my cable bunched up and secured with a Velcro strap, but it's still awkward.

DarrylG

Note for people who are interested in buying the HD560s, it's on it's best ever low price sale on Amazon UK right now, just £119

I've just bought one more as a backup or in case they stop making them, lol! That's a significantly lower price than I've ever seen before, as seen on Camel Price Tracker.
I'm trying to resist the temptation. :D

Phoney

Note for people who are interested in buying the HD560s, it's on it's best ever low price sale on Amazon UK right now, just £119

I've just bought one more as a backup or in case they stop making them, lol! That's a significantly lower price than I've ever seen before, as seen on Camel Price Tracker.
Also 32% off here in Norway. I just ordered my first pair, could be my headphones for all types of home use due to comfort.

MayaTlab

Top Bottom