• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for some help/insights.

I just got my new Sennheiser HD560s headphones and found the treble be somewhat "sharp" and fatiguing, specially when compared to my older HD598.

I haven't done EQing before, for any headsets, and after reading some guides I tried the suggested settings for these headphones from oratory with the Equalizer APO + Peace.

Going back and forth ON/OFF on Peace I notice that the trebles are much more satisfactory with the EQ, but the overall sound quality is "worse"/less preferred for me.

For example when I'm playing some open world games where there is some ambient background sounds like gush of wind or waterfall, it is transformed into a quite low volume, almost like a static kinda hiss (sorry can't think of any better description and English is my 3rd language so please bear with me). Without the EQ the sound is more present and somewhat more noticeable. I feel like I'm immersed into the world and the sounds are around me vs on the EQ it gets pushed more into the background and far away from me.

I've tried adjusting the different sliders as per the instructions on the oratory's pdf but I'm unable to get this fixed to my liking.

Is there any way to to get the treble spikes to more tolerable without affecting the overall sound this much or is this just a byproduct of the sounds I'm describing being in the treble range the EQ is affecting the most?

Again, this is my first venture into EQ so please excuse me for my ignorance.

Note. I haven't listened to these that much yet and so I haven't had my brain "burn-in" yet. Is it possible that the harshness of the treble is just mostly due to being accustomed to the more softer sound on the HD598 and it will eventually go away / turn tolerable if I just keep listening to these long enough? I've keep switching back to the HD598 because it really feels like the treble on the 560s start to hurt my ears and the EQ is not to my liking.
I think you should listen to these without EQ for a couple of days before you decide to EQ them to taste. My theory is that you are bringing over the sound memory of 598' which is not really helping with listening these new headphones. 560's probably will not sound the same as the 598' due to the difference in transducers.

Phoney

Going back and forth ON/OFF on Peace I notice that the trebles are much more satisfactory with the EQ, but the overall sound quality is "worse"/less preferred for me.

For example when I'm playing some open world games where there is some ambient background sounds like gush of wind or waterfall, it is transformed into a quite low volume, almost like a static kinda hiss (sorry can't think of any better description and English is my 3rd language so please bear with me). Without the EQ the sound is more present and somewhat more noticeable. I feel like I'm immersed into the world and the sounds are around me vs on the EQ it gets pushed more into the background and far away from me.
Using the ON/OFF switch on Peace will not give you a fair result if you are using the preamp setting, because the volume will be lower with EQ then. When you switch off the EQ, the general volume will go up, and higher volumes usually sound better. If you don't use the preamp setting, then you can experience clipping. Also keep in mind that the new EQ settings could sound better over time when you get used to the new sound. Then again, this is all subjective anyways.

usern

Note. I haven't listened to these that much yet and so I haven't had my brain "burn-in" yet. Is it possible that the harshness of the treble is just mostly due to being accustomed to the more softer sound on the HD598 and it will eventually go away / turn tolerable if I just keep listening to these long enough?
I like my 560S a lot with EQ, but without EQ I would not use them.

Are you properly applying negative preamp so that the signal won't digitally clip? Are you using correct Q-values or BW values? Not really understanding what's the problem otherwise. Too quiet? Negative preamp does that, so turn up the volume. Too much bass? Something else?

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I just got my new Sennheiser HD560s headphones and found the treble be somewhat "sharp" and fatiguing, specially when compared to my older HD598.

I haven't done EQing before, for any headsets, and after reading some guides I tried the suggested settings for these headphones from oratory with the Equalizer APO + Peace.

I've tried adjusting the different sliders as per the instructions on the oratory's pdf but I'm unable to get this fixed to my liking.

Is there any way to to get the treble spikes to more tolerable without affecting the overall sound this much or is this just a byproduct of the sounds I'm describing being in the treble range the EQ is affecting the most?

Note. I haven't listened to these that much yet and so I haven't had my brain "burn-in" yet. Is it possible that the harshness of the treble is just mostly due to being accustomed to the more softer sound on the HD598 and it will eventually go away / turn tolerable if I just keep listening to these long enough? I've keep switching back to the HD598 because it really feels like the treble on the 560s start to hurt my ears and the EQ is not to my liking.
EQ generally removes a lot of the "atmosphere" from the sound of a headphone for me, almost regardless of which headphone I apply it to. I don't hear the 560s as being particularly sharp-sounding, probably because I have old ears.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

For gaming purposes I don't think it's ideal to use a Harman EQ, oftentimes games introduce their own ambience so they have sound effects and reverberation characteristics of different rooms or even the outside - depending on where the game setting is taking place, so I don't think applying the Harman room sound to gaming is a positive step. Your HD560s will be best used without EQ for gaming as you don't want too much bass for gaming and I think the increased treble is a positive when it comes to gaming worlds. For music the Oratory EQ should be better.

If you still find it too fatiguing for gaming using the HD560s at stock (without EQ), then instead use all of Oratory's EQ filters apart from the bass filters, ie don't use Band 1 through 3. This will enable the EQ to take care of the treble peaks whilst preserving the moderate bass levels of the HD560s.

EDIT: good points by a number of people here to check you're using the correct negative preamp, as an additional point.

luxonator

Are you properly applying negative preamp so that the signal won't digitally clip? Are you using correct Q-values or BW values? Not really understanding what's the problem otherwise. Too quiet? Negative preamp does that, so turn up the volume. Too much bass? Something else?
Yes, I am using the -5,4db preamp setting and the Q-values from the pdf. I don't think the problem is being too quiet as I can crank the volume to max and still perceive the sound being the same, just louder. I'm not an audiophile / high-endist, so these things are kinda hard for me to explain. The best I could put into words was the explanation I gave with the experience I had while gaming. In music listening the effect wasn't as emphasized.

I hadn't thought of what Robbo99999 said before but it makes sense. I will also now try to run the cans for a week or so to see if I get accustomed to the sound, before starting to mess with the EQ more.

If you still find it too fatiguing for gaming using the HD560s at stock (without EQ), then instead use all of Oratory's EQ filters apart from the bass filters, ie don't use Band 1 through 3. This will enable the EQ to take care of the treble peaks whilst preserving the moderate bass levels of the HD560s.
Does this mean that I will remove the bands 1,2,3 altogether from the config file or leave them at default in the Peace GUI or just put the gains on those to zero or match the gain with the preamp value?

Thank you all for the help and insights.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I am using the -5,4db preamp setting and the Q-values from the pdf. I don't think the problem is being too quiet as I can crank the volume to max and still perceive the sound being the same, just louder. I'm not an audiophile / high-endist, so these things are kinda hard for me to explain. The best I could put into words was the explanation I gave with the experience I had while gaming. In music listening the effect wasn't as emphasized.

I hadn't thought of what Robbo99999 said before but it makes sense. I will also now try to run the cans for a week or so to see if I get accustomed to the sound, before starting to mess with the EQ more.

Does this mean that I will remove the bands 1,2,3 altogether from the config file or leave them at default in the Peace GUI or just put the gains on those to zero or match the gain with the preamp value?

You could do either. Either you could remove bands 1,2,3, or you can set them to 0dB, the effect is the same - as in those bands won't be having an effect. Running with the Oratory treble EQ whilst leaving the bass at stock might give you the best option if you are definitely getting fatigued by the stock treble when gaming - it seems that you are, so I'd just go ahead and try removing those 3 bands rather than seeing if you can get used to stock sound.

Phoney

Did you remember to tick the "add pre amplifying" box? I forgot that when I first downlowaded peace and started using it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like my 560S a lot with EQ, but without EQ I would not use them.

Some HD560s sound better than others at stock, I've got 3 units, my latest unit (received a few days ago) sounds pretty darn mellow in comparison to my second unit....I hardly ever listen at stock and haven't done an intensive "let's compare these 3 units at stock" session, but I know I've ended up at different places when EQ'ing the second unit in comparison to the 3rd. Still some more work to do as I haven't optimised my 3rd unit to the best effect yet.....it's hard to do for me, I have to be in a relaxed attentive focussed & alert mood without any narcotic influences (alcohol for me) as I don't think I can do it justice without that kinda optimal mood. But for sure some HD560s sound better than others at stock, my 3rd unit is probably closest to perfect out of all 3 without EQ, so much so that I think the latest Oratory EQ's don't work as well (with this third unit of mine) as his first HD560s EQ he released - I believe he incorporated less perfect HD560s units into the measurement, so at the moment his first EQ that tallied closely with headphones.com & Crinacle measurements seems to be the best for this 3rd unit that also sounds the best at stock. I must do some more proper comparisons to compare all 3 at stock though, and more finetuning to be done, but there are still differences to be experienced between different HD560s units.

Last edited:

Phoney

ee850c93218bed5ab88238ac74d0d743.png

Doing this overnight really helped with the clamp! Feels perfect now.

MachOne

You could try the passive filter available here https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-560s/ I built one, and while it's not perfect for my taste, it's very very close and what I'm sticking with for now. I had the same complaints as you before adding the filter, and also came from a set of HD598.

Foulchet

I use mainly HD560S for music which relies on vocals (so pop, etc.), and I hear mostly this kind of music. However, I prefer my AKG K712 Pro or Denon D5200 when background instruments or a lot of instruments are involved, especially with orchestral music. I do not know if it is me but instruments seem a bit "blurred" with the 560S compared to these two.

I do not use equalizer as I have a good old headphone station (I use it at night in a calm state, without PC, smartphone, etc.) and - I know it is not an "ASR"-ready practice - I feel like 560S is truly upgraded with my tube amp (it feels like heaven to me, I am so reluctant to purchase more expensive headphones because I have found what I was looking for with this combo). It adds a very subtle small distorsion and frequency shift to have more body in the sound. I even tried it blindly and roughly level-matched several times and there is truly a difference (now what is ibjectively best does not matter).

Confort-wise, I may be on a minority but having a big head, HD560S does not fit that well, in fact is is one of the worst fitting headphones I have (for my head). AKG system fits a lot better for instance. I preferred old Sennheiser heaphones confort, like the cheap RS130 which was a RF headset.

krumpol

Sennheiser's local official distributor dropped the price to 150 EUR, so I got one of these delivered yesterday.

However, I prefer my AKG K712 Pro or Denon D5200 when background instruments or a lot of instruments are involved, especially with orchestral music. I do not know if it is me but instruments seem a bit "blurred" with the 560S compared to these two.
Same. After two days of listening to 560S, I ended with my old Beyers DT880 for daily use. Much better spatial qualities.

Confort-wise, I may be on a minority but having a big head, HD560S does not fit that well, in fact is is one of the worst fitting headphones I have (for my head).
Yes, I wouldn't call these to be comfortable at all. Fitting alright on my head, narrow earcups are heating up my ears though and tight headband keep squishing my dome with strength of angered Hulk.

Seriously gentlemen, I don't understand how MSRP could have been set 25% higher for 560S compared to Beyer's 880 or 990. Sennheiser outsourced assembly to countries with cheaper manual labour while Beyer does all the work in Germany. Casing is wiggly plastic instead of solid steel head bow and aluminium system bow holding earcups.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I wouldn't call these to be comfortable at all. Fitting alright on my head, narrow earcups are heating up my ears though and tight headband keep squishing my dome with strength of angered Hulk.

Seriously gentlemen, I don't understand how MSRP could have been set 25% higher for 560S compared to Beyer's 880 or 990. Sennheiser outsourced assembly to countries with cheaper manual labour while Beyer does all the work in Germany. Casing is wiggly plastic instead of solid steel head bow and aluminium system bow holding earcups.
Just quoting part of your post here, I think you're unfairly exaggerating here - I own a number of headphones and by no means are they uncomfortable in comparison to the others and the manufacturing quality / feel is not poor - which your "wiggly plastic" comment implies. They also do not heat up my ears even after long sessions. I wouldn't normally reply to someone's subjective comment on these types of things, but I think yours is an exaggeration when I see it in reference it to my own experience of them whilst also owning a number of different headphones which I can compare against: HD560s / K702 / HE4XX / NAD HP50 / HD600.

krumpol

.. the manufacturing quality / feel is not poor - which your "wiggly plastic" comment implies. They also do not heat up my ears even after long sessions. I wouldn't normally reply to someone's subjective comment on these types of things ..
I didn't comment on my feels, just stating that cost of material and manufacturing of 560S is objectively lower than Beyer's. That's a fact, plastic is cheaper than steel and aluminium, plus there are accessories such as polstered carrying bag added to DT880 package for lower MSRP.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't comment on my feels, just stating that cost of material and manufacturing of 560S is objectively lower than Beyer's. That's a fact, plastic is cheaper than steel and aluminium, plus there are accessories such as polstered carrying bag added to DT880 package for lower MSRP.
That's fine, I'm just providing a counter point based on my experience vs what seemed like a bit of an exaggeration in your first post.

usern

Seriously gentlemen, I don't understand how MSRP could have been set 25% higher for 560S compared to Beyer's 880 or 990
560S has better, likely more expensive drivers that can handle much higher dB SPL without distortion than old Beyer models.
I have DT 880 and 560S and Beyer feels less comfortable for me and it also feels like getting more hot with DT 880. Do you use custom earpads with 880?

Foulchet

Good point, lack of carrying bag is annoying, I remember purchasing under-100 euros Sennheiser headphones in a (quite far) past and they had carrying bags. I do not ask for an expensive thing but I do not like to let the headphones pads gathering dust. It is very hard to remove. Now I see that even the pricey HD800S does not have at least a dollar-bag to cover it...

I so purchased a 9 euros (overpriced but at least it exists) Beyer "bag" to keep it and it works fine.

To come back to confort, in my case I would not really call them unconfortable but the way they are angled make them hard to fit on ears. I can make them to be but then they are a bit loose. I am not a purist so it is fine but it is a bit frustrating.

Last edited:

krumpol

560S has better, likely more expensive drivers that can handle much higher dB SPL without distortion than old Beyer models.
True. Higher sensitivity is one of things I noticed immediately, these cans play very loud with L30 without any hearable distortion. Can't play DT990 that loud without lower frequencies going bonkers.

Do you use custom earpads with 880?
Nope, sticking with stock EDT990V velour earpads replaced every two years.

dante21

Is this an upgrade over the 599? Is it worth to have both?

i have the 599 but sometimes i miss more air and clarity

Top Bottom