• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

are any of us here owning hd560s and other widely-appreciated headphones like let's say Arya, focal clear, hd800s or other big names etc.... but still prefer 560s?
Just really want to hear more opinions and casual, personalized thoughts about these headphones.

Not me, but I took in dozens from review videos from big and small content creators and what I have found is that it seems to come down more to preference in sound, that is whether you would rather sacrifice a bit of clarity for soundstage for instance, between those I have seen mentioned, which was mainly ones between HD 560s and HD 800s, with some lower-priced cans like the HD 560s still possibly having a slight edge over the more expensive ones in certain areas despite the overall weaker package.

So my take on this is that it comes down to which attributes are most important to you.

usern

I was considering that one too, to run it balanced, but does the HD 560s really benefit at all from balanced connection?
Balanced how? My D30pro has RCA output (not balanced) and is connected to JDS Atom RCA (not balanced) and headphone is connected to Atom (not balanced).

There is difference in balanced headphone power connection and balanced signal connection between amp + dac. Balanced signal connection benefits from lower risk of ground noise and better RFI rejection. I can't see much benefit for balanced headphone connection other than getting more volume out of some amps that do not output same levels from unbalanced and balanced connection (Topping A50s, A90 for example).
are any of us here owning hd560s and other widely-appreciated headphones like let's say Arya, focal clear, hd800s or other big names etc.... but still prefer 560s?
Just really want to hear more opinions and casual, personalized thoughts about these headphones.
I tried Aeon 2 Noire, but they were more cumbersome and I couldn't tone down some harshness I heard with different Harman target EQs. I liked 560s more overall.

Balanced how? My D30pro has RCA output (not balanced) and is connected to JDS Atom RCA (not balanced) and headphone is connected to Atom (not balanced).

There is difference in balanced headphone power connection and balanced signal connection between amp + dac. Balanced signal connection benefits from lower risk of ground noise and better RFI rejection. I can't see much benefit for balanced headphone connection other than getting more volume out of some amps that do not output same levels from unbalanced and balanced connection (Topping A50s, A90 for example).

I tried Aeon 2 Noire, but they were more cumbersome and I couldn't tone down some harshness I heard with different Harman target EQs. I liked 560s more overall.

Dangit, another 20 browser tabs here I come...
I only considered running the cans balanced out of curiosity.

I guess at this price range I should stop worrying about it though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I only considered running the cans balanced out of curiosity.
You will need a balanced cable.
These are only after-market ones, Sennheiser does not have balanced cables for it.
The only reason for using them balanced is when using a balanced DAP or portable (DAC)amplifier or when you only have sources with balanced outputs.
There are no benefits with desktop balanced out amps.

usern

Any idea what the E30 and D10 are like and what the differences are beyond Amirm's measurements?
D10s is powered by USB and many people (including me) have heard "computer noise" from it with certain motherboards. Possible that E30 might not have it due to external power or if it still has noise through USB, you can use optical link which eliminates this type of noise.

At certain DAC performance there is no difference in sound granted they have flat frequency response. All current Topping DACs are have good performance as does the JDS Atom DAC.

D10s is powered by USB and many people (including me) have heard "computer noise" from it with certain motherboards. Possible that E30 might not have it due to external power or if it still has noise through USB, you can use optical link which eliminates this type of noise.

At certain DAC performance there is no difference in sound granted they have flat frequency response. All current Topping DACs are have good performance as does the JDS Atom DAC.

Oh that is a good point I completely missed. I am very suspicious of power coming from USB ports, even USB3.

I am fascinated by the D30 Pro's dynamic range graph though, I love high dynamic range and I wonder how audible the 10db difference compared to the E30 would be, especially since the D30 seem a bit overkill for a pair of HD 560s.

usern

I wonder how audible the 10db difference compared to the E30 would be, especially since the D30 seem a bit overkill for a pair of HD 560s.
It will be inaudible. D30pro is only needed if you need good preamp for powered monitors or if you need DAC for AMP that has XLR / balanced inputs.

It will be inaudible. D30pro is only needed if you need good preamp for powered monitors or if you need DAC for AMP that has XLR / balanced inputs.

So the "wider sound stage" people mention is just placebo? The measurements look different enough to me that I would assume audible differences as well.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So the "wider sound stage" people mention is just placebo? The measurements look different enough to me that I would assume audible differences as well.
Yeah, all the Topping stuff measured on this site is fine, the JDS Labs Atom+ combo you mentioned is also fine, there's no difference in audible sound quality so just don't worry about it - get a combo that's been measured on this site that you like the look & price of.

Yeah, all the Topping stuff measured on this site is fine, the JDS Labs Atom+ combo you mentioned is also fine, there's no difference in audible sound quality so just don't worry about it - get a combo that's been measured on this site that you like the look & price of.

I should just try them both, but I really don't want to go higher than the L30 and I wonder if that can be/should be stacked with the D30 Pro.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I should just try them both, but I really don't want to go higher than the L30 and I wonder if that can be/should be stacked with the D30 Pro.
Just get the E30 and L30, you probably don't need the D30 Pro, I don't think it will add anything to your experience. Or get the Atom+ stack you mentioned, it's not a big deal. We shouldn't have pages of discussion in an HD560s thread about DACs & amps, as the HD560s is quite easy to drive, so there aren't any reasons for detailed discussions about DACS & amps when it comes to the HD560s. Make sure your choice has got all the connectivity options you need (input / output options). If you want to ask specifics about certain DACs & amps then ask in the threads for those specific products - people there will know more about them too.

01890jp

560S is such an incredible value for those who want a really great stock FR & performance on a tight budget. Props to Sennheiser for such a dominant offering at their frequently discounted/secondhand price point.

And to be perfectly honest, I think the FR/signature of the 560S is quite noticeably superior to its bigger more expensive brother, the 660S.
Me too. I returned a set of 660s because it had the same slightly muffled sound as my 6xx which I don't listen to much anymore. I love my HD600 which I find has a much clearer sound than the 6xx but I find I still listen to the HD560s more. I got lucky and bought mine new on an Amazon flash sale for $149 a few months ago. Both the 600 and 560s sound awesome through my K5 pro.

mysiak

Is anyone else having comfort issues? I'm finding the headband rather irritating, but removal seems to entail tearing it off.
Yep, the headband creates a hotspot on the top of my head and earpads are rather uncomfortable (itchy velour and hard foam). The comfort gets better with using 3rd party ear pads (Brainwavz micro suede or Dekoni velour), but sound character changes quite a lot. I had a very similar issue with HD650 which I tried in a shop, so I guess that Sennheiser form factor and ear pads material are not for me. I am keeping 560s in a drawer as a "backup" (too lazy to sell them), but my daily drivers are "modded" Fostex T50RP (leather comfort strap + Brainwavz micro suede ear pads) which I find superior in comfort and also in sound (once equalized). I prefer also Beyerdynamic headphones (DT990, Custom One Pro, Custom studio,..) over Sennheiser's.

Yep, the headband creates a hotspot on the top of my head and earpads are rather uncomfortable (itchy velour and hard foam). The comfort gets better with using 3rd party ear pads (Brainwavz micro suede or Dekoni velour), but sound character changes quite a lot. I had a very similar issue with HD650 which I tried in a shop, so I guess that Sennheiser form factor and ear pads material are not for me. I am keeping 560s in a drawer as a "backup" (too lazy to sell them), but my daily drivers are "modded" Fostex T50RP (leather comfort strap + Brainwavz micro suede ear pads) which I find superior in comfort and also in sound (once equalized). I prefer also Beyerdynamic headphones (DT990, Custom One Pro, Custom studio,..) over Sennheiser's.
Wow and I thought I had soft skin.

How does the super thick foam on the headband create a hotspot? Try making it 1 or 2 notches bigger and moving it up a bit, the clamping should be able to secure it that way given how light it is.

mysiak

Wow and I thought I had soft skin.

How does the super thick foam on the headband create a hotspot? Try making it 1 or 2 notches bigger and moving it up a bit, the clamping should be able to secure it that way given how light it is.
I don't know either, maybe it's too soft..? :) I tried all the possible positions already (making them bigger, smaller, moving up/down/forward/backward/even sides switched), none of them work for me. I guess that I am one of the unlucky ones who can't use Sennheiser headphones.. The "comfort band mod" helped, but headphones are so fugly with this DIY solution that I couldn't keep using them this way (and it still doesn't solve ear pads material issue).

I don't know either, maybe it's too soft..? :) I tried all the possible positions already (making them bigger, smaller, moving up/down/forward/backward/even sides switched), none of them work for me. I guess that I am one of the unlucky ones who can't use Sennheiser headphones.. The "comfort band mod" helped, but headphones are so fugly with this DIY solution that I couldn't keep using them this way (and it still doesn't solve ear pads material issue).

Have you checked Sennheiser's spare parts section for different cushions? The website seems to be down right now.

As for the headband, it shouldn't be hard to fix. Surely there must be alternative headband cushions out there you can attach with double-sided tape? Just gotta make sure not to damage anything.

mysiak

Have you checked Sennheiser's spare parts section for different cushions? The website seems to be down right now.

As for the headband, it shouldn't be hard to fix. Surely there must be alternative headband cushions out there you can attach with double-sided tape? Just gotta make sure not to damage anything.
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't consider it worth the trouble and expenses (+ I already spent money on Dekoni earpads and 3D printed adapter rings with questionable results) as I don't really like the stock sound that much anyway (too sibilant/harsh in treble for my taste).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't consider it worth the trouble and expenses (+ I already spent money on Dekoni earpads and 3D printed adapter rings with questionable results) as I don't really like the stock sound that much anyway (too sibilant/harsh in treble for my taste).
Not really good practice to buy aftermarket pads for headphones if you plan to use published measurements as part of your EQ process, unless it's not possible get the stock pads, which you can relatively inexpensively from the Sennheiser store. (but you found that out already where you mention is changed the sound profile).

mysiak

Not really good practice to buy aftermarket pads for headphones if you plan to use published measurements as part of your EQ process, unless it's not possible get the stock pads, which you can relatively inexpensively from the Sennheiser store. (but you found that out already where you mention is changed the sound profile).
I have a very good experience with Dekoni and Brainwavz ear pads on closed/semi open Beyerdynamic and Fostex headphones - those are less prone to drastic acoustic changes due to ear pad swapping (as long as ear pads share similar properties with stock ones).

I replaced HD560s ear pads due to comfort issues, so buying another pair from Sennheiser would not really achieve my goal. :)

Btw. Dekoni for example publishes measurements of their + stock earpads, so one can use these charts as a guide for additional EQ tuning if necessary.

Anyway, I believe that most folks are happy with these headphones as they are, I am just not one of them and I wanted to support the other unfortunate member who complained about lack of comfort.. :)

Top Bottom